Votes: 3 21.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a Miami post, should Tampa annex the rest of New Tampa that has not been annexed? Also Palm River, since they use some city infastructure (water) should they also? East Tampa and so on...

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
West Tampa was annexed during the Great Depression, if the economy gets worse will Tampa annex Temple Terrace?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Tampa needs to annex all of the nicer neighborhoods it can find. When I lived in Raleigh that is exactly what the city there did. They would annex nicer new neighborhoods and skip over the older poorer ones. It was kind of funny actually.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
I remember when New Tampa tried to break away, that failed miserably...

St. Pete Beach tried to break away also...FROM ALL OF PINELLAS I think. That also didn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tampa needs to annex all of the nicer neighborhoods it can find. When I lived in Raleigh that is exactly what the city there did. They would annex nicer new neighborhoods and skip over the older poorer ones. It was kind of funny actually.
Orlando is doing this...there are neighborhoods literately a couple miles from downtown not part of the city w/dirt roads and poor, while areas to the SE are incorporated far from the city.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
It is an extremely bad idea, because it games the system. If allowed to persist to its theoretical limit, the city of Orlando would become a rich gentrified collection of disparate neighborhoods, enjoying 'low taxes' and decent 'lifestyle' amenities, since it wouldn't have to pay for essential infrastructure and services provided outside of its carefully manipulated boundaries... while Orange County would govern over the poor areas, which would grow poorer with each passing year, because they would have to be taxed at a high rate to pay for all of the infrastructure that would still need built and social services those residents would need, else they become criminals, homeless, starve etc...

Imo, the state laws governing municipal expansion/annexation should be further revised to stop such practices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.