Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should the consent decree on the MTA be extended?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Union asking judge to extend MTA decree
Daily News

The Bus Riders Union asked a federal judge on Wednesday to extend a decade-old consent decree against the MTA for five more years, claiming the transit agency has failed to do enough to ease crowding on buses.
In a statement, the BRU said 95 percent of the bus routes it monitored had an average of eight riders standing, in violation of the consent decree.

But Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials say their surveys show they are in compliance 98 percent of the time.

"We believe we are in full compliance with the consent decree," said MTA spokesman Marc Littman. "The BRU can say whatever it wants, but the fact is that we have spent $1 billion to improve services."

Over the last decade, the agency has added more than 2,000 buses and kept bus rider fares low. But the BRU maintains that these services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and fares are in danger as fiscal woes mount and the MTA looks for ways to close a $112 million budget deficit.

"We are concerned that this sets up the conditions for MTA to claim the only way to balance the budget in the future is to make bus riders pay with service cuts and fare increases," the BRU statement said.

The BRU is asking the court to extend the consent decree until 2011.

Currently, there is no one monitoring compliance issues. Special master Donald Bliss resigned earlier this year, and the federal judge overseeing the case declined to appoint a replacement.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
where is the HELL NO option? seriously, if i had to choose one group to blow up, it wouldnt be Al quida, it wouldnt be hezbolah, it would be the BRU. **** these selfish motherfuckers. They speak as though they represent everyone, but in reality they are only a group funded by Bus drivers and whomever else loses with rail, which is not many people. i have actually called their office and cussed them out.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LosAngelesSportsFan said:
i have actually called their office and cussed them out.
A GOD you are.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, I personally would blow up Al Qaida myself, but the consent order is a joke and does nothing to help move the poor. The poorer Angelinos would be the biggest winners if a decent transit system is finally built in town.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
What in all God's name is "concent decree" first of all?????

Am I the only person who is like clueless here. Just to be in the safe side left just vote "NO".

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd prepared a statement just for you "Ferney" because I knew you would be asking "what is the consent decree"? since we all know that you are an avid auto driver with no clue or interest in transit. The only problem is, I lost my prepared statement. It was really good too. Very easy to digest for the teething child.
Well(please correct me anyone if I make a mistake w/ this complicated issue)back in 1996 the BRU filed a suit against the MTA claiming that the organization is racist/classist because they were building the Gold Line that ran through wealthy white neighborhoods and not through poor neighborhoods that would effect poor people. They got Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, a veritable double bag of civil rights leaders on their side. They also claimed that the bus system was poor due to the building of subways(the Red Line) that they claim was sucking money away from bus service. They are opposed to more rail service and only want more and more and more busses that will help the poor get around. Seeing that this could be a really nasty public fight the MTA consented on the decree to self-imposing investing $1 billion dollars over the next 10 years in improving bus service. Contrary to popular belief our bus service now is tops in the US hands down with a plethora of busses to choose from like local, express, limited, rapid and even a BRT line. Although good, this has also taken much needed funds away from the building of subways and LRT's. The Consent Decree is to expire this year but now the BRU wants to extend it another 5 years claiming that the MTA has not done enough. Very frustrating situation because we all know as "Sportsfan" pointed out that the BRU is being backed by the Bus Drivers Union who are deathly afraid of trains that will eventually make some bus routes obsolete and cut into their pay and jobs. I go a step further and say the BRU is being backed by the car companies, oil corporations and the NIMBY home owners in Hancock Park and Cheviot Hills who want to keep poor people on slow bumbling busses and out of their neighborhoods.
So it's the same old classist and racist bloc now inverted to halt rapid transit in this city. Their is no other better leveling of the playing field for poor people than a good rapid transit service that can get them to and from work and potential work just as fast as the rest of us. Good transit has the power to knock down class and race barriers and these people know this, hence why they are against trains. Their is nothing else that will unify this city like a good cohesive transit system and I think that's what we all want.
So when I hear people putting down the MTA it really burns me up. Have their been mistakes by the MTA? Yes. Cost overruns? Yes. Bad mismanagement? Yes. But after all of the obstacles that have been thrown in front of the organization along with dealing with such a large county like LA for it to emerge with at least a decent spine of a system in less than 20 years is miraculous to me.
So their you have it, the history of the consent decree from a non-native Angeleno whose only been here less than 3 years. If anyone wants to add their two cents, please do.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
klamedia said:
I'd prepared a statement just for you "Ferney" because I knew you would be asking "what is the consent decree"? since we all know that you are an avid auto driver with no clue or interest in transit. The only problem is, I lost my prepared statement. It was really good too. Very easy to digest for the teething child.
Well(please correct me anyone if I make a mistake w/ this complicated issue)back in 1996 the BRU filed a suit against the MTA claiming that the organization is racist/classist because they were building the Gold Line that ran through wealthy white neighborhoods and not through poor neighborhoods that would effect poor people. They got Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, a veritable double bag of civil rights leaders on their side. They also claimed that the bus system was poor due to the building of subways(the Red Line) that they claim was sucking money away from bus service. They are opposed to more rail service and only want more and more and more busses that will help the poor get around. Seeing that this could be a really nasty public fight the MTA consented on the decree to self-imposing investing $1 billion dollars over the next 10 years in improving bus service. Contrary to popular belief our bus service now is tops in the US hands down with a plethora of busses to choose from like local, express, limited, rapid and even a BRT line. Although good, this has also taken much needed funds away from the building of subways and LRT's. The Consent Decree is to expire this year but now the BRU wants to extend it another 5 years claiming that the MTA has not done enough. Very frustrating situation because we all know as "Sportsfan" pointed out that the BRU is being backed by the Bus Drivers Union who are deathly afraid of trains that will eventually make some bus routes obsolete and cut into their pay and jobs. I go a step further and say the BRU is being backed by the car companies, oil corporations and the NIMBY home owners in Hancock Park and Cheviot Hills who want to keep poor people on slow bumbling busses and out of their neighborhoods.
So it's the same old classist and racist bloc now inverted to halt rapid transit in this city. Their is no other better leveling of the playing field for poor people than a good rapid transit service that can get them to and from work and potential work just as fast as the rest of us. Good transit has the power to knock down class and race barriers and these people know this, hence why they are against trains. Their is nothing else that will unify this city like a good cohesive transit system and I think that's what we all want.
So when I hear people putting down the MTA it really burns me up. Have their been mistakes by the MTA? Yes. Cost overruns? Yes. Bad mismanagement? Yes. But after all of the obstacles that have been thrown in front of the organization along with dealing with such a large county like LA for it to emerge with at least a decent spine of a system in less than 20 years is miraculous to me.
So their you have it, the history of the consent decree from a non-native Angeleno whose only been here less than 3 years. If anyone wants to add their two cents, please do.

**** that!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
klamedia said:

^ Oh my........ sounds complicated and costly. So why doesn't MTA sell the highrise building in Downtown (Ptasaurous) plaza and use that money to buy more buses or extend light rail. If that doesn't work break~up MTA by regions and let each other handle their own affairs. So those who live in areas who don't want light rail and buses don't have to weigh everyone else down, right?

Just for the record, again. I am not against Public Transit at all. I problaly won't have much need for it myself, but will not vote against it knowing how others highly depend on it. (Well somelike).....

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So why doesn't MTA sell the highrise building in Downtown (Ptasaurous) plaza and use that money to buy more buses or extend light rail.
That's like asking the mayor to sell City Hall to fix the homeless problem.

If that doesn't work break~up MTA by regions and let each other handle their own affairs. So those who live in areas who don't want light rail and buses don't have to weigh everyone else down, right?
Great idea Ferney! That's exactly what we have now!! Don't you remember that little experiment of allowing Hancock Park and Beverly Hills to decide whether or not if they wanted a subway running through their neighborhoods? By your logic, isn't that the reason the subway that we so desperately need stops at Wilshire/Western?? You are actually encouraging NIMBYism now! Whose side are you on anyway!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^^ OK, what happened there????

Did I not explain myself clearly or are you putting words in my mouth. I have never been blame for (Nimbyism) and whatnot...... You got me now with the suggestion of splitting of regions to better service the general public. I figure maintaining the MTA as one is pretty much not working out too great. Isn't that what the big controversial delays to get anything complete besides Zev. I swear Public Transportation issues are too complicated, I need some vicodin and pronto!!!

Lastly, who's side am I on...... ???

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, :breathe: Maybe I'm not the best person to explain this perhaps, it gets me heated, really fast. I'll let "sportsfan" or "arch" or someonelse explain the rest. Breaking up the MTA probably won't work but keeping the county together just works too slow. IMO, besides public schools and the homeless issue, transportation is the most important thing effecting LA today. This place has such the potential to be top ranking if it would just come together on this issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Consent Decree better damn well be expunged.

I recently read a missive from the Transit Coalition (www.transitcoalition.us) that Donald Bliss, the Special Master in charge of the consent decree RESIGNED earlier this year, leaving NOBODY in charge of it. Nobody has been appointed to replace him, and it seems a good bet that nobody will replace him, since the decree is set to expire in about five months.

For more on the consent decree and details about what a bunch of JERKS the so-called Bus Riders Union really are, check out www.transit-insider.org.

They just don't get it and they never did. Saying that construction of the subway is racist/classist and only goes through areas where rich white people live is DEMONSTRABLY INSANE. Just about the only area like that which has any rail coverage in the current system is in South Pasadena. For their troubles in bringing the Gold Line there, the MTA was greeted with nothing but lawsuits and NIMBYism from the White homeowners there. The first piece of the rail system, the Blue Line, went directly through South Central, Compton and Watts! I sure wouldn't call those areas loaded with rich Whiteys. How about the Red Line? Nope, not there either. It stops just short of the rich white enclaves in Hancock Park, and serves Pico/Union, Westlake, East Hollywood, Central Hollywood and North Hollywood. All low-income to middle-income areas. No subway in Beverly Hills the last time I checked, though they would certainly benefit from one.

The whole point is, the Bus Riders Union is a bunch of self-promoting idiots whose only purpose is to continue paying their own overblown salaries for services which are not only not needed, but are actually DAMAGING to the lives of poor people.

Kick the Consent Decree to the curb!

·
Registered
53 Posts
People LIKE subways...

By the way, the political climate has now changed for the better, and even the ******* (I am one myself, so I use that term advisedly) in Hancock Park admit that the subway is necessary and won't destroy their neighborhood. Even the City Council in Beverly Hills voted to support a subway down Wilshire Boulevard a couple years ago, after realizing what an economic boon it would be. Of course, those lovable Santa Monicans have been asking for train service since the Blue Line opened in 1990. It's happened time and time again, and it will happen again in the future: once the light rail/subway opens, everybody changes their opinion about it and sees how good it is, and "when am I getting one in my area?" comes out of their mouths faster than...well, a subway train.

We've got the Gold Line Extension to East L.A. half-way built already, and construction will start this year on the Exposition Line, so I'm very optimistic about further progress with our rail system.

We just have to make sure the BRU goes away!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to write to the BRU when I took the metro rapid down vermont. A couple of girls went on the bus representing them and they kept saying to people. "MTA is wasting money for rail lines that serve rich white people" as their exact words. I found that offensive being half mexican and half danish. I wrote to them on a pedstal of course...(couldnt help it) giving them detailed reason on what makes that racisit and how a transit is actually meant to serve all members of a community and if they want to work with nobility they shouldnt disregard anyone. Also how much that statement plays off the idea that the people they are preaching to are just stupid and able to be manipulated. All they would need to do really is ride the rails to know this, Or take time to out and check the demographics around the rail lines. I didnt get anything back from them, but they are to extremist in thier cause. It seems when extremist get controll as oppose to those whom can compromise and ration, they usually end up only benifiting a small group of people. It becomes eliteism in it's own way (elitism isnt just bounded by having lots of money...although usually it does...haha)

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx you guys! I love to hear this righteous indignation! The consent decree most likely will not be extended. But I do predict lawsuits by the BRU and their "anonymous" backers.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder who voted "yes"? Reveal yourselves!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts