Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should DC's height restriction be removed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title should pretty much explain what I hope will be discussed in this thread. I'm sure the topic has been batted around before, but I'm curious. Would you like to see DC's height restrictions removed?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Absolutely not, at least not anywhere near the Monumental Core. Maybe Anacostia could use some skyscrapers, but then again it doesn't have the workforce to warrant such construction yet.

·
Indeed
1,323 Posts
I would say yes, in certain areas. Not anywhere near the mall. But perhaps in the Wisconson/Georgia ave corridors near the Md line would be appropriate.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not right now, but yes, in the future, in certain areas a set distance away from the Mall (perhaps 1/2 to 1 mile away). DC is running out of developable land, and the height limit as is will begin to have a greater effect on sprawl in the near future. Right now, the suburbs are bearing the brunt of height limit discussions, and while I support less strict height limits in the burbs, it's really in DC where it would make the biggest impact. I think we'll see a loosening of the limit in DC within the next 20-25 years, especially with greater independence from Congressional interference.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
NO! why not just develope the other highrise districts outside of the district more?
anyway, what makes DC great and great looking is the height limit. Lifting the limit would make DC pretty much just another regular old American city (not really though)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think they without a doubt need to keep the limit in effect near the Mall and Monuments, but what about making the limit gradually increase as one gets farther from the mall?

·
Registered
186 Posts
what makes DC great and great looking is the height limit. Lifting the limit would make DC pretty much just another regular old American city (not really though)
I agree. I've always thought DC, at least around the Mall, reminded me more of a European city than an American one. It makes it a very unique place.

·
Registered
375 Posts
the height limit not only defines the character of the soundings, but it also makes for some very interesting architecture. it takes a very creative mind to design a building with interest and intrigue when you place height limits. the result has been some very good architecture. i'd keep the limits in place.

·
Paiwasta Reh Shajr say..
9,458 Posts
Absolutely NOT in the Mall area or on the banks of Potomac river.

But perhaps a very dense cluster of Tall beautiful Bldgs in Northern NW area near Silver Spring/ Chevy Chase area to stimulate further economic activites in DC.

·
Registered
391 Posts
the height limit not only defines the character of the soundings, but it also makes for some very interesting architecture. it takes a very creative mind to design a building with interest and intrigue when you place height limits. the result has been some very good architecture. i'd keep the limits in place.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of DC's downtown architecture, despite the fact that you would think a height limit like this would engender more creativity at the ground, is bland and monotonous. Once in a long while, a fantastic building comes along, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of DC's downtown architecture, despite the fact that you would think a height limit like this would engender more creativity at the ground, is bland and monotonous. Once in a long while, a fantastic building comes along, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.
True, people often mistake the traditional/classical architecture from the 18th and early 19th centuries as what has been built in recent times. Like everywhere else we have an abundant amount of the horrors from the brutalist 60s and 70s and now architects are doing more of that simplistic exposed structural modernist crap or the "it's only cool cause it's new" glass boxes.

I really miss the late 80's early 90's, it was a time that went too soon.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Should the height limit of building be lifted to 200 feet. If no, then what is the height limit of Washington DC buildings?

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, absolutely.

No one would ever seriously consider throwing up skyscrapers around the Monumental Core. That would be absurd. But the District is a very big place, and there's no reason not to gradually lift the restriction in choice areas: Upper Wisconsin, Mid-Town / 16th Street, New York Avenue east of Mount Vernon Square, M Street SE, Bladensburg Road, Minnesota Ave, etc.

Aside from the obvious economic benefits, I find the forced uniformity of DC's skyline--especially in the Golden Triangle area--downright bland.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts