SkyscraperCity banner

Should sat dishes be banned on the front of homes?

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's kinda a pet pieve of mine. I know some areas in London don't allow them, but they are exceptionally few and I think the old sat dishes really give a third world flavour and depressing cultural remark when placed on the front of homes and flats rather than the roof or rear.

The thing I am talking about:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Part of the modern world. Personally, I find all those dreadully dreary and uninspired fascia signs profoundly more depressing than the dishes.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's kinda a pet pieve of mine. I know some areas in London don't allow them, but they are exceptionally few and I think the old sat dishes really give a third world flavour and depressing cultural remark when placed on the front of homes and flats rather than the roof or rear.

The thing I am talking about:

Maybe we should create a tax for the 1% that would go toward provided more modern dishes for the less well off.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
perversely the bigger the dish the better it looks. Intergalactic communication is always sexy. Those previous generation Sky white dishes and the new smaller black ones just look abysmal like the off-putting smell of desperation you get when you buy one of those magical indoor antenna array contraptions from Argos for £40.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
can't afford to comply? can't afford satellite tv!
Yeah, because your right to not see satellite dishes far outweighs their right to have affordable satellite TV. I don't think you realise how pompous you sound. If you don't like the way poor(er) areas look then the onus isn't on them to lower their quality of life even further for your sake, it's on you to do something about it.

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
How much extra is it for a sky technician to attach the dish to your chimney stack as opposed to half way up your outside wall of your house? Do they charge extra, or is it the same fee? If the Government made it law, then Sky would have no choice but to include it in the set up fee.

I am really amazed how this has been turned into a class issue, no wonder this country is such a shit hole..

·
King of Bernicia
1,298 Posts
Of course not.
People should be free to do whatever they will to their houses short of painting "All my neighbours are C*%$TS" in giant letters.

Though there really should be more procedures in place for neighbours to share a single dish. So much needless redundancy on non-mechanical dishes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mark my words that in 10-20 years time the complaint will be the number of utterly redundant dishes and TV aerials still cluttering up the walls and roofs of the country after all 'broadcast' TV services have ceased.

I stand to be corrected but the earliest switch off date for Freeview is something like 2030. By that date it is anticipated that everything will be online and that most if not all of that will be on demand rather than to schedule.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Whats the point councils can barely enforce flouting of major planning laws already never mind minor stuff like this. Besides most inner London councils would not bother as it would upset so many voters who depend on such dishes to get TV in their own languages and culture.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I hope this was a statement about how you dont like them rather than a genuine call for discussion of such a law change.

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whats the point councils can barely enforce flouting of major planning laws already never mind minor stuff like this
Down my street, there is a kebab takeaway. He has two hanging illuminated signs. Hounslow council says only 1 is allowed per shop according to their policy on shops and highstreets. The shop is hanging these illegal signs from the corbels - also not allowed according to Hounslow Council guidelines. His shop makes my street look like a dump and attracts the wrong kind of person to my street...which is residential, not a high street.

I reported the shop to the council. The council investigated and allocated the complaint to a case officer who found the signs illegal and also the position they were placed illegal. Another shop also has an illuminated hanging sign from the first floor flat above the actual shop, also illegal.

After me harassing the Council to tell me what the outcome was, they finally sent me a letter. They said all the things reported were indeed illegal, but because they had been in place for over 10 years, they cannot do anything.

:bash:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts