SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 'Is is time to go metric' has made me think that is it time to go the whole way and swap sides to the road, go left hand drive. I dont know why but when i have been on the continant, i have always thought that it just seems to make more sense.
And it isn't impossible; in Sweden a few years ago they completly changed their road system in one night to the continental standard

Please Discuss

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
many countries drive on the left. And if the UK actually shared a land border, then I would think you should change. But you don't. You can't drive off the island, so keep it as is :D

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
No and it isn't just the UK that drives on the left hand side, I know alot of commwealth countries in Africa do as well.

Driving on the left is the norm for millions of people around the world.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some people talk about in 10 or 20 years a road bridge being built between England and Farnce. Do you think they may consider it then?

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Hell no. Keep it the way it is. What possible purpose would it serve to suddenly change which side of the road we drive on? I've often wondered if the EU in its bid for total compliance will ever make us convert to the right.

·
SSC addict
423 Posts
fosters son said:
some people talk about in 10 or 20 years a road bridge being built between England and Farnce. Do you think they may consider it then?
if that is done then it would be much better to simply build a junction at one end where cars would switch sides, like the road in Hong Kong which connects to the mainland.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Frog said:
if that is done then it would be much better to simply build a junction at one end where cars would switch sides, like the road in Hong Kong which connects to the mainland.
Or take one lane over/under the other lane via a bridge.. or tunnel to keep continuous flow.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well no, that's never a good idea. You could change the right side into the right side though. ;)
And well, I don't think it'd really be worth it. Compared to changing to metric, this doesn't really have much advantages since the country is geographically seperated.

·
Tax avoider
24,117 Posts
Driving on the left is actually more sensible and safer, since most people are right-eyed.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
CharlieP said:
Driving on the left is actually more sensible and safer, since most people are right-eyed.
There is alot of truth in that, at my recent eye test I noticed when I had the patch on, the vision in my right eye was rubbish compared to the left which proved that for most of my life my right eye has done more work.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
If what you are saying is true about most people being right eyed true, isn't it at least eqully as important for people to have their good eye on the much more vunerable cyclists and pedestrians than cars?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pointless fact alert:

The reason most countries drive on that right is simply because we drive on the left. Bascially they did it to piss us off!

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Gareth said:
so I'd expect the EU to offer to fund such a project before I even considered supporting the idea.
It sounds like the sort of thing the EU would fund :crazy:

Changing the sides of the road would serve no purpose other than to cost a hell of a lot of cash.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
The reason why we drive on the left dates back hundreds of years..........when people rode around on horseback and swords were more widly used.....it made sense to ride on the left hand side of any roads or tracks that there where..........bascially, if you needed to attack somone approaching you with your sword it would be easier to swing (as most people are right handed)........does that make sense??

anyway......as somone else pointed out, the only reason why the rest of europe and the USA doesnt drive on the left is purely to be different than us.

Anyway, we arent the only country to drive on the left........Australia, NZ, Japan, India , Ireland and most african countries, just to name a few.........also drive on the left.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts