SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zagreb, Croatia

built in 1891., operating between the downtown (donji grad) and the upper town (gornji grad)

·
Gotta lite?
6,045 Posts
This is a confusing thread.

Cable car's generally come in two different types. Those like in San Francisco, which are terribly rare these days (and very different to the funicular's in the first post by King-Tomislav). These cable car's are a cross breed of the tram and funicular. Essentually they operate on rails, and are propelled by "grips" which can hold onto a constantly moving cable under the street, and let's go when they wish to stop moving. The San Francisco cable cars are fantastic and a real rare treat!

The other and more common type of cable car are the aerial ones like in Hong Kong (and also in many other cities like New York, Barcelona, Lisbon etc).

What King-Tomislav shows looks like a funicular or otherwise known as inclined railways, use a system where cables are permanently attached to a tram like vehicle which travels up an incline. Usually, there are two trams, one goes up while the other travels down as a counter balance.

This type of vehicle is extremly common in hilly cities in Europe, and also can be found in a number of North and South American cities (Pittsburgh used to have 12 or 14 of these operating, although only a small number still work today)

For funicular's, here are a few I have photographed on my travels recently.

In Lisbon, these are called "elevators" for some reason. There are several different ones in Lisbon still operating, and they are absolutely fantastic!

Two different ones in the area around Bairro Alto & Chiado in Lisbon

And the area around Alfama in Lisbon

When I was last in Budapest, I travelled on this one:

I've been on a few in Barcelona, which has several in the city and mentro (mostly modern ones) but don't have any photo's yet. However, I'll be back there in a few weeks, so if this thread is still around, I'll post some photo's when I get back.

Genoa in Italy has at least three, and I've been on one, but again, never photographed it.

I was also on the Hong Kong funicular that goes up to the peak, and damn this is spectacular, but none of my photo's of that came through - real pity.

Coming to think of it, I've been on quite a few, but never really started to take photo's until recently, what a pity....

·
a tangy drink!
4,263 Posts
Istanbul has a really old one that is pulled through a tunnel:

and a new one also through a tunnel that connects with the metro and tramway:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Emirates Air Line (cable car) London

Hello

I think we only have one cable car in London which is the Emirates Air Line which goes over the River Thames at Greenwich. Shot a time-lapse film of it recently which I think people might find interesting:

http://youtu.be/dHJuWLxqMZU

Hope you enjoy it!

cheers

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do any of the funicular cars shown carry bicycles? The hills they climb are often steeper than any road or bike path. And even moderate gradients are serious enough for cyclists.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts