Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^

Liquid Telcom Kenya has launched a Sh175 million fiber optic network in Siaya county.

The firm is seeking to invest $50 million (Sh4.3 million) in partnerships with counties in the next 24 months to roll out data connectivity projects, LTK group CEO Nic Rudnick said.

“Rural internet connectivity is rather poor in Kenya due to lack of infrastructure hence the partnership with LTK,” he said during the groundbreaking ceremony at Siaya town yesterday.

Governor Cornel Rasanga and Information PS Joseph Tiampati were present.

The firm will hire 50 workers to maintain the fibre optic, Rudnick said.

The county headquarters, subcounties and wards will be linked to the central government as well, he said.

Rudnick said internet connectivity contributes to 2.9 per cent of Kenya's GDP and the project will improve Siaya's economy.
source

·
Registered
936 Posts
The situation in Nyanza is alarming...people in Nyanza are still obsessed with the national government that they even forget the county governments exist..I have a friend who is so much anti-uhuru`s national government but the same person is in Rasanga`s inner circle and actively supporting his re-election bid.To make matters worse,at the national level they are weeping of tribalism,but the same people are promoting clanism at the county level...

·
Registered
4,116 Posts

Uhuru Kenyatta has officially commissioned the Kodiaga-Wagai-Onyinyore/Akala, and Nyangweso-Muhanda Roads in Siaya County.
First of I did not even know there was a Siaya County!!! Honest.

Now about the above.
I know they are trying and this is better than what it was before......But
This is the exact picture you get in the Dictionary next to the word "Slapping Lipstick on a Pig"
What the heck is that?? Who was the contractor...... Tosha? How much were they paid 5,000KSH???? How long will this thing last?
I am hoping this one is not done. May be they just painted the lines for commissioning but will later tarmac this road and add badly needed NMT
This is something you put together to reroute traffic while you are working on the main road!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I don't want to comment on cost because I don't want to make assuptions and am not an engineer or expert in road construction.

However, I know that KERRA is doing many low seal roads all over rural Kenya. The justification is cheaper paved roads instead dirt roads or gravel and they want to cover many KMs all over Kenya as possible. I wouldn't except same standard of quality from such roads like the done by KENHA or even Urban roads by KURA which obviously handle more traffic.

Quick calculation on that road above is 42Mil per KM(1.6B for 38KMs). If that price is too much or fair I have no idea since that is not my fortè. Area MPs should be in a position to get intimate details on the project to ensure that their people are getting value for money and to keep the government in check.

What I know is different types of soil can have an impact on cost of a road because of work of setting up the base, even before you come to the quality of the top pavement. I know this because I once lived in a place with black cotton soil and we where frustrated because the county government wouldn't build us a road and we started considering if we may foot the bill ourselves. That's how I came to learn that it would be expensive because of digging up all that black cotton.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts