SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All hail to the ale.
929 Posts
Anyone got any pics of the proposed development?

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Consider it done.....

Funny isn't it how the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister solves the threat of further traffic congestion on the M60 by blocking any large proposal near to it (i.e. this and IKEA Stockport).

Good solution would be to provide public transport, but no. It's easier to screw the economy by blocking perfectly logical development instead (and I'm on my high horse now!)

Andysimo, the Dept PM has to justify himself somehow, otherwise we'd all find out how surplus and bankrupt he really is, so he has to be seen to be doing something

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
No, I think it's on land over the other side of the ship canal from the Trafford Centre. It's just beyond Patricroft and before Barton Bridge.

Macro's near Eccles Town Centre. Do you mean Costco? That's in Trafford Park on the south side of the ship canal.

·
In The Ghetto
531 Posts
Macro's offices are/were? in Eccles town centre, but the big retail shed part is on A57 heading out to Irlam and Cadishead, think we both mean the same area then!

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I think this will go thru ok. The site is on the north bank of the Mcr Ship Canal where there are some current playing fields opposite the airport.

·
10th February 2008
59,904 Posts
Next chapter in stadium story begins

THE public inquiry into the City of Salford Stadium got underway this week with Salford City Reds confident the long-drawn out saga will finally see a happy ending.

The inquiry at Swinton Civic Centre is the latest chapter in the prolonged process and those behind the £130m complex at Barton have set their sights on a fairy tale conclusion in time for rugby league’s showcase Grand Final in October.

The match is held a stones throw from the Reds’ Willows ground at Old Trafford and if the Reds build on their impressive start to the season it could be a dream day of double celebration.

But there’s still many twists and turns to go. The inquiry lasts for a week before a fortnight’s break. It resumes on July 11 for two weeks and then the inspector will make a decision within six weeks.

It will then be up to secretary of state for communities and local government Ruth Kelly who is expected to give the final decision by October. The Reds will be hoping the decision is not similar to that bestowed upon Brighton and Hove Albion’s Falmer Stadium project - John Prescott ordered the inquiry to be reopened and started from scratch.

An optimistic Adam Thomas, from Red City Developments, said: "There have been no statutory objections so we will be devastated if the inspector doesn’t back the stadium at this opportunity. The future of the club is now in the hands of the planning inspector and the secretary of state Ruth Kelly.

"There is a precedent for the government backing enabling developments with regeneration benefits so we are confident sense will prevail. We are looking at September or October for a decision now. Our dream would be for the decision to be announced by Ruth Kelly on the Old Trafford pitch at half-time in the Grand Final with Salford playing in it, but for now we need to take one step at a time."

The inquiry will also take into account the objecting residents who put forward a 273-name petition against the 20,000 capacity stadium with enabling retail park.

Their objections range from increased traffic worries to concerns over how the retail element will affect shops in surrounding areas.

As the hearing got under way director Adam Thomas said he had not been made aware that objectors would be appearing.

anchester City Council has said they won’t make any further representation. A spokesman said: "The public inquiry is entirely a matter for the government."

-----------------

The Public Inquiry into Salford City Reds new proposed stadium at Barton has now been adjourned until 10am on the 11 July.

After a first week where the inspector saw many expert witnesses the final day of the first session saw appearances from local MPs Hazel Blears, Ian Stewart and Barbara Keeley all in favour of the development.

Ian Stewart MP said: "I have been a Salford supporter since 1957. The club plays a vital role in civic life by providing civic pride and focus, as well as national and inetrnational recognition. This development will enhance and improve these attributes.

It is my view that this Reds' proposal will impact in a very significant and positive way on the issues that affect my constituancy."

Hazel Blears MP said: "It is vital to have a new stadium for Salford City Reds. The Willows is full of treasured memories but being 100 years old is inevitably out of date, therefore the new stadium will give the club a chance to flourish.

"Rugby League is a unifying factor in Salford and people come together to support their team from all races and classes and the Salford fans are incredibly loyal.

"The team needs a new home, the fans need a new home, I want to see the club grow and prosper."

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jrb said:
Next chapter in stadium story begins

THE public inquiry into the City of Salford Stadium got underway this week with Salford City Reds confident the long-drawn out saga will finally see a happy ending.

The inquiry at Swinton Civic Centre is the latest chapter in the prolonged process and those behind the £130m complex at Barton have set their sights on a fairy tale conclusion in time for rugby league’s showcase Grand Final in October.

The match is held a stones throw from the Reds’ Willows ground at Old Trafford and if the Reds build on their impressive start to the season it could be a dream day of double celebration.

But there’s still many twists and turns to go. The inquiry lasts for a week before a fortnight’s break. It resumes on July 11 for two weeks and then the inspector will make a decision within six weeks.

It will then be up to secretary of state for communities and local government Ruth Kelly who is expected to give the final decision by October. The Reds will be hoping the decision is not similar to that bestowed upon Brighton and Hove Albion’s Falmer Stadium project - John Prescott ordered the inquiry to be reopened and started from scratch.

An optimistic Adam Thomas, from Red City Developments, said: "There have been no statutory objections so we will be devastated if the inspector doesn’t back the stadium at this opportunity. The future of the club is now in the hands of the planning inspector and the secretary of state Ruth Kelly.

"There is a precedent for the government backing enabling developments with regeneration benefits so we are confident sense will prevail. We are looking at September or October for a decision now. Our dream would be for the decision to be announced by Ruth Kelly on the Old Trafford pitch at half-time in the Grand Final with Salford playing in it, but for now we need to take one step at a time."

The inquiry will also take into account the objecting residents who put forward a 273-name petition against the 20,000 capacity stadium with enabling retail park.

Their objections range from increased traffic worries to concerns over how the retail element will affect shops in surrounding areas.

As the hearing got under way director Adam Thomas said he had not been made aware that objectors would be appearing.

anchester City Council has said they won’t make any further representation. A spokesman said: "The public inquiry is entirely a matter for the government."

-----------------

The Public Inquiry into Salford City Reds new proposed stadium at Barton has now been adjourned until 10am on the 11 July.

After a first week where the inspector saw many expert witnesses the final day of the first session saw appearances from local MPs Hazel Blears, Ian Stewart and Barbara Keeley all in favour of the development.

Ian Stewart MP said: "I have been a Salford supporter since 1957. The club plays a vital role in civic life by providing civic pride and focus, as well as national and inetrnational recognition. This development will enhance and improve these attributes.

It is my view that this Reds' proposal will impact in a very significant and positive way on the issues that affect my constituancy."

Hazel Blears MP said: "It is vital to have a new stadium for Salford City Reds. The Willows is full of treasured memories but being 100 years old is inevitably out of date, therefore the new stadium will give the club a chance to flourish.

"Rugby League is a unifying factor in Salford and people come together to support their team from all races and classes and the Salford fans are incredibly loyal.

"The team needs a new home, the fans need a new home, I want to see the club grow and prosper."
The article mentions something about a 273 petition against it. No Salford fan I know, knows any anti-stadium petition, so probably some cheap and nasty fabrication by the MEN, seeing as they are pro-Sale Sharks these days and would hate Salford to become Manchester's 'Premier' oval ball outfit.

Did they mention anything about the 4000 name petition FOR the stadium that the club has recieved?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
ForeverSalfordRed said:
The article mentions something about a 273 petition against it. No Salford fan I know, knows any anti-stadium petition, so probably some cheap and nasty fabrication by the MEN, seeing as they are pro-Sale Sharks these days and would hate Salford to become Manchester's 'Premier' oval ball outfit.

Did they mention anything about the 4000 name petition FOR the stadium that the club has recieved?
Yeah, noticed the MEN journos can't get enough of Sale. Seems Rugby League can't get a look in bar a token mention of Salford, and two lines of every other club in the readership area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts