Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
guess what 9 buildings are nominated for WORLD REGISTER OF SIGNIFICANT TWENTIETH CENTURY AUSTRALIA ARCHITECTURE?

http://www.architecture.com.au/i-cms?page=1.64.988.50.219.220

looks like Canberra projects cleaned up? The 2 skyscrapers (ICI & Aussi sq) much deserved.
theres a couple i wouldnt include and some that should be included. Australia;s first University (Sydney uni) should be there.

Sydney opera house/nsw
new parliament house/act
newman college/vic
ici house/vic
ng and high court/act
australia square/nsw
shine dome/act
sidney myer music bowl/vic
cameron offices/act.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
I'm surprised the Shrine in Melbourne is not on that list....???

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
they should have done it for the 19th and 20th centuries. Allot of significant buildings were built in the 19th century. Far more significant than the 20th century.

sidney myer music bowl/vic
No offense, but what is so significant about that.

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,596 Posts
The Opera House, Australia Square and Parliament deserve to be on that list. (Australia Square on sheer merit of how well it's stood the test of time thus far). It's one of the few 60's designs I actually like.

I'm not sure on ICI's inclusion, myself... perhaps on account of what it did for Melbourne, but aside from that...

Rialto probably deserves to be on that list as well, IMHO.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Crawf...to think this structure is nearly fifty years old..imagine the futuristic design back in 1959...and it's as good or better than any other similar ampitheatre in the world...sympathetic renovations recently have made it yet another great addition to Melbourne's wide variety of venues. Not my pic!After posting I can see unless you have actually been to the Bowl it's hard to realise the size...when you walk down inside and onto the huge stage it really is fantastic. I only wish Mr. Myers first name wasn't 'Sidney' it has caused confusion for some of my international friends.
By redbaron_012 at 2007-06-28

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
I'm surprised the Shrine in Melbourne is not on that list....???
If this is still a 20th Century thread, then the Melbourne Shrine should certainly be there.

ICI ? I remember when I was a little kid, the guy next door (who was an engineer) brought home an architect's model of that building (yet to be built) ... I was pretty impressed. But as a glass box, or collection thereof, the Rialto absolutely shits on it, every winter evening, when it blinds everyone in the western suburbs, just before sundown.

I showed that to my Dad last week. "Have you seen it before?"
Keith Dunstan was writing about it, twenty years ago.

One more suggestion: from Melbourne: Flinders St. Station. I'll hazard a guess, but a few centuries on (barring sundry disasters) this building will still be iconic ... and it is 20th Century.

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
For 20th century (1901-2000), I'd also suggest: Rose Seidler House, Robin Boyd House, RMIT Storey Hall, NGV on St Kilda Rd = significant architecture. Not sure about Flinders St Station & even Shrine of Remembrance though - not for archi heritage. Maybe the domed reading room of the State Library of Victoria (but that's probably more engineering), 140 William St (but not significant on a world scale).

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If a railway station was listed for the 20thC significant buildings. the largest of all -Central in Sydney would be there.

the tremendous 75m clock tower

the entrance

the caverous dome

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
^^Built in 1906, just scrapes in, and has more to do with 19th century styles.
Doesn't cut it for me Cul.

What is interesting is this........

Australia Post celebrates Australian Modernist Architecture

On the 10th of July Australia Post will be releasing a new series of four stamps featuring Australian Modernist Architecture landmarks.

Over recent decades, architectural exemplars of the mid-20th century have gained considerable cultural recognition, with buildings registered on state and national heritage lists.

The four buildings presented in this issue – The former ICI House in Melbourne, the Academy of Science in Canberra, Council House in Perth and the Sydney Opera House.

All excellent choices in my opinion, and reflect at least the later part of the 20th century styles well. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Queensland Art Gallery
The Great Court at The University of Queensland
Brisbane City Hall
Riverside Centre
Queensland Performing Arts Centre
Wilson Hall at The University of Melbourne

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's amazing that cameron offices are so unappreciated.

I work next door and people in the area would be absolutely stunned if you told them it was one of the nine most architecturally important buildings in the country built during the 20th century.

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i reckon any early 1900s remaining skyscrapers should be inducted.
Culwully chambers should be as it has state significance and was sydneys first 12storey and advanced tech highrise.(1912) it also caused the 150ft limit for next 50 years.
australias tallest on completion

also the sandstone Trust building of 1916 also australias tallest on compeltion

·
can the can
1,144 Posts
My list of favourites would be:

Cameron Offices, Canberra
High Court, Canberra
Australia Square
Opera House
Tempted to include Burley Griffin's Newman College, but I don't know and love it in the way I do other, more obscure buildings, like the Masonic Centre in Sydney or even the NGV.

I have to disagree with Melbourne people - the Shrine has a lot of sentimental value but is not very architecturally remarkable.

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^Built in 1906, just scrapes in, and has more to do with 19th century styles.
Doesn't cut it for me Cul.

What is interesting is this........

Australia Post celebrates Australian Modernist Architecture

On the 10th of July Australia Post will be releasing a new series of four stamps featuring Australian Modernist Architecture landmarks.

Over recent decades, architectural exemplars of the mid-20th century have gained considerable cultural recognition, with buildings registered on state and national heritage lists.

The four buildings presented in this issue – The former ICI House in Melbourne, the Academy of Science in Canberra, Council House in Perth and the Sydney Opera House.

All excellent choices in my opinion, and reflect at least the later part of the 20th century styles well. :)
most of it was completed in 1921. actually.
the tower and large proportions of the station.

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i reckon if brick chimneys had to be listed as significant in engineering and design, i would list Mt Morgans giant
built in 1905, it consists of 750,000 bricks. rises to 76m (now 70m).
was 2nd tallest structure in oz.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts