SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive started a thread on this before but cant find.
many large silos around Australia are being converted to apartment towers.
heres the one in Dulwich Hill, Sydney

please post some you know of

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
The one in Newtown next to the rail line is virtually complete now, but I dont have any pics. I see it each day from the train and its better looking than the one in Dulwich Hill.

·
7,972 Posts
That's really cool! I don't there are any in Brisbane though. The CSR Sugar refinery (New Farm) was converted into apartments a couple of years ago, but it's not a silo.

·
Registered
77,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres the Bunbury Broadwater Silos in WA.

·
Registered
77,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the famous Battery Point Silos in Hobart. still the states tallest apartment block!!

before the reconstruction

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Wow, they're bloody incredible :D
love to see more of these around the place. Reminds me of the Warehouse districts alot of rust belt cities in the US have.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Wagga Wagga, N.S.W.

This was in the weekend's Sydney Morning Herald.

Just known for now as "The Wagga Mill Project". It will be a mixed-use redevelopment of the Murrumbidgee Milling Co. site, designed by the Buchan Group. Included will be an 80-room hotel, a conference centre and retail.

The heritage listed silos will be the centrepiece of the project.

·
I need to know...
2,015 Posts
There's a silo here in Holland between Haarlem and Amsterdam currently being converted into offices. I will try to find some info when I next go past it on the train... I love these silo conversions- very unique living/office space.

·
Registered
77,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heres a pic of Hurstville skyline from st martins. in centre of pic you can see the silo towers in newtown.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts

^^^ 3 in the sporadic Newtown skyline, left to right;
* the blonde brick Newtown Telephone Exchange,
* church steeple @ St Stephens Cemetary, Camperdown and
* Silo Newtown which is approx 1/2 km further back.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
LEP said:
I think there is one in Collingwood or Richmond.Anyone have any photo's?
Yeah, the Cremorne Silos in Richmond, or actually in the suburblet called Cremorne.
There's talk of them eventually being turned into apartments or replaced for some kind of commerical use.
See and read more about it all Here

The Nylex clock sky sign atop has been "saved" too. Now registered.

·
5,174 Posts
Muse said:
Yeah, the Cremorne Silos in Richmond, or actually in the suburblet called Cremorne.
There's talk of them eventually being turned into apartments or replaced for some kind of commerical use.
See and read more about it all Here
Thanks for the info Muse! If this development goes ahead it will actually be the second silo/apartment conversion for the area, with a project at 22 Abinger St, Richmond completed in 1997. Designed by Nonda Katsilidis, the earlier project was the first silo conversion I had ever heard about, and is a beautiful design! These pics are pretty crappy, but definitely check it out in person if you ever get the chance - looks kind of like a ship!

Link to an article about it: 22 Abinger St, Richmond

·
Registered
702 Posts
Muse said:
The Nylex clock sky sign atop has been "saved" too. Now registered.

I wish they'd replace some of the bulbs in that thing! I used to see this from my friend's apartment window - and from memory several bulbs were not working. Although possibly fixed by now...

Sure it might be heritage listed, but that doesn't mean it should become derelict. If anything it should be maintained.

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
Silos in Collingwood:

A permit was issued a few years back to demolish the Porche silos and build an apartment tower to the same height. They never acted on the permit so the silos may still be converted to apartments on day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts