Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Japan and India are two of my favorite countries (not that I dont like every other country in the world). So I thought id make a comparison of the two cultures. It is very interesting and cool to note similarities, some direct, and some coincidence.

-----

Warrior Class:

Japan - Samurai

India - Kshatriya

God of Death:

Japan - Enma (direct translation)

India - Yama (direct translation)

Personification of Death:

Japan - Shinigami

India - Yamaduta

Forms of Respect to Elders:

Japan - bowing before elders

India - touching feet of elders

Classical Swords:

Japan - Katana

India - Khanda

Name of Temple Gateway:

Japan - Torii (these two seem too similar to be coincidence, could anyone confirm?)

India - Torana (these two seem too similar to be coincidence, could anyone confirm?)

Native Beliefs:

Japan - Shinto/Buddhist philosophy

India - Vedic/Buddhist philosophy

Similar Philosophy:

Japan - Bushido

India - Dharma

·
Ayatollah
1,924 Posts
I've got some others

This one isnt a very nice one:

Voluntary Suicide - at the death of a loved one / dear one

India: Sati
Japan: Oibara

Classical music

India: Carnatic music - Mrdingam and Veena used widely
Japan: Gagaku music - Taiko (and recently, wadaiko) and Shamisen used widely

Indigenous religion

India: Hindu pantheon of gods symbollic of many elements of the earth. eg. Agni - god of fire and the sun
Japan: Shinto spirits symbollic of elements of earth. eg. Amateratsu - god of the sun

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were also other forms of voluntary suicide which were considered honourable. The two main methods used in ancient India were:

- self-immolation (used as a form of protest, or philosophical austerity, or such as in sati and jauhar, etc)

- self-starvation (chosen because it gave people time to re-evalutate their choice, such as in sallekhana, etc)

And yeh, both traditional philosophical systems and gods, seem to have a connection to nature, and I love both country's classical music :)

·
Ayatollah
1,924 Posts
There were also other forms of voluntary suicide which were considered honourable. The two main methods used in ancient India were:

- self-immolation (used as a form of protest, or philosophical austerity, or such as in sati and jauhar, etc)

- self-starvation (chosen because it gave people time to re-evalutate their choice, such as in sallekhana, etc)

And yeh, both traditional philosophical systems and gods, seem to have a connection to nature, and I love both country's classical music :)
Yeah. The rituals of the kshatriyas were very similar to the rituals of the samurai - both were warrior societies choosing "death over dishonour." The Rajputs practiced Jauhar (an explanation for those who dont know). In situations where the Rajputs were besieged, and victory was impossible, the men would ride out in a suicide charge, while the women would burn themselves to death to avoid molestation by the capturers.

·
Ayatollah
1,924 Posts
Classical music of India I love. I have heard more of Hindustani, and I play the tabla, but I love Carnatic music as well - distinct Asian sound - similar to Hindustani but has its own flavour

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sen, I dont mean to say they have common origin - im just comparing the similarities between cultures - I meant no offense. I think its cool that Asia shares a lot in common.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Sen, I dont mean to say they have common origin - im just comparing the similarities between cultures - I meant no offense. I think its cool that Asia shares a lot in common.
but don't you think some of the concepts you mentioned are present in many cultures, in fact MOST cultures? (like the God of Death, warrior class etc...)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Yeah. The rituals of the kshatriyas were very similar to the rituals of the samurai - both were warrior societies choosing "death over dishonour." The Rajputs practiced Jauhar (an explanation for those who dont know). In situations where the Rajputs were besieged, and victory was impossible, the men would ride out in a suicide charge, while the women would burn themselves to death to avoid molestation by the capturers.
Honour over death is valued by ALL warrior class, including the ones in feudal Europe.

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
but don't you think some of the concepts you mentioned are present in many cultures, in fact MOST cultures? (like the God of Death, warrior class etc...)
But Enma is a direct translation of Yama - which is why I mentioned it.

Its not that they are both death gods, its that they are the same death god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama

Yama (Sanskrit: यम), also known as:

- Yamarāja (यमराज) in India

- Yanluowang (閻羅王) in China

- Enma Dai-Ō (閻魔大王) in Japan

The name Yanluo is a shortened Chinese transliteration of the Sanskrit term Yama Rājā, or "King Yama". Enma Dai-Ō is a further transliteration, meaning "Great King Yama", where Enma means Yama, Enma-Ō means Yama Rājā and Enma Dai-Ō would be equivalent to Yama Mahārāja. This means Naraka, Di Yu and Jigoku (Indian, Chinese and Japanese underworld) share some common mythology, and also, many other gods have transferred across borders, like Garuda, Shiva, Hanuman, etc, which are part of the Four Heavenly Kings and Seven Gods of Fortune.

·
Banned
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not trying to be nationalistic or anything - I despise nationalism, so dont think that im trying to claim India is some fountain of world culture or anything - I know that all cultures have an effect on all other cultures - its just that Japan and India are two of my favorites, which is why I wanted to compare them.

·
Ayatollah
1,924 Posts
Bushido and Dharma, how are they similar?
Both Bushido and Dharma are codes of conduct - ways of life. The difference is that one applies solely to the warrior class.

Dharma, however, can be applied to the warrior class - the kshatriyas used the concept widely - and the concept of Dharma in war is relative to both Bushido and European chivalry.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
I've got some others

This one isnt a very nice one:

Voluntary Suicide - at the death of a loved one / dear one

India: Sati
Japan: Oibara

Classical music

India: Carnatic music - Mrdingam and Veena used widely
Japan: Gagaku music - Taiko (and recently, wadaiko) and Shamisen used widely

Indigenous religion

India: Hindu pantheon of gods symbollic of many elements of the earth. eg. Agni - god of fire and the sun
Japan: Shinto spirits symbollic of elements of earth. eg. Amateratsu - god of the sun
Goddess* of the sun :)

1 - 20 of 246 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.