SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you think about it, there are many interesting similarities between the nation of Australia and Texas (USA). For example...

Vast size: Both places are known for their "wide empty spaces".
Australia is crossed by 16,000 miles of railroad. Texas, 14,000.
Australia's highest point, 9,006'. Texas, 8,749'.
Both places have temperate climate in the east, desert in the west.
Similar population: Australia, 21.3 million. Texas, 23.9 million.
Largest city: Sydney, 4.3 million; Houston, 5.6 million (metro).
Sydney and Houston are both located in the southeast.
Similar racial makeup: Vast majority is Caucasian in both places.
Native people: Aborigines, 2% of pop. Native Americans, 1% of pop.
Gross Domestic Product: Australia, $1.05 trillion. Texas, $1.09 trillion.
Both places produce large amounts of crude oil.
The western areas are known for ranching, cowboys, and frontier life;
Australia has 26 million head of cattle, Texas has 16 million.

Of course I could always list the various differences in the two places, too. But I've been having more fun discovering the eerie similarities of these two locations on opposite sides of the globe. Are there other people who are intrigued by this?

·
Proud Melbournian
1,742 Posts
Interesting stats....I had no idea the population of Houston & Texas for that matter was so large or the GDP of the state of Texas was way more than quite a few large countries.

·
Premium member
10,011 Posts
Comparing Texas with Australia is actually quite insulting for Australia.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Comparing Texas with Australia is actually quite insulting for Australia.
This comment from someone who undoubtedly knows absolutely nothing about Texas other than what was just posted in this thread. Talk about insulting for Australia...

Stupid Comments
Australia 2
Texas 0

I'm not necessarily supporting capital punishment, but...

# of Worthless, brutal murderers removed from the Earth
Texas 405
Australia 0

·
Canadian eh!
3,513 Posts
Amazing of thousands and thousands of things to compare this is all you came up with for similarities. Obviously the list of differences would be to great to list.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Texas is a hole!! Dont compare what is the lucky country to a state that promotes execution, has a wanker of a governer and the highe percentage of red neck fundamentalist who are racist. Houston is shit, never goin there again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Texas is a hole!! Dont compare what is the lucky country to a state that promotes execution, has a wanker of a governer and the highe percentage of red neck fundamentalist who are racist. Houston is shit, never goin there again.
Wow. I would be surprised if there were 10 people in Australia who could even name our governor.

I've been down under once, visiting friends in Homebush who gave me the $5 tour of Sydney, Blue Mountains and other touristy areas. I noted significant differences between Texas and Australia - we have no equivalent of Sydney, and their lingo takes getting used to - but the place still felt comfortable and familiar.

As for people, Texas "attitude" is heavily influenced not only by so-called "fundamentalists", as if that is a bad thing, but by massive immigration from California and other parts of the US and Mexico. Australians seemed more laid-back, generally, and seemed to have more of a home-grown personality. Should add that my hosts were as critical of the provincial attitude of their fellow Australians as some of the folks are on this board regarding Texans.

·
¡¡Tabascoball!!
70,945 Posts
Amazing of thousands and thousands of things to compare this is all you came up with for similarities. Obviously the list of differences would be to great to list.
I'm agree with you.

For example, I like the australian road trains...:D

·
BANGED
772 Posts
interesting indeed. however, this threads seems a little insulting

·
3rd Coast
1,123 Posts
Sorry to hear that, you obviously had a bad experience. But I am glad that you wont return to experience it again.

And why is this thread insulting?

·
Perth
1,923 Posts
thats kinder kool! :)

i would love to visit Texas hands down! Australia has less people that ALOT of countries because of our isolation (from western culture/Northern Hemisphere) I would guess.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.