SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banned
8,012 Posts
^^ Sorry... It's very hard to keep up with news of shopping centres in Singapore especially once they're completed.

Parco Millenia Walk has been opened for a while already, about a few weeks before the Circle Line from Dhoby Ghaut to Tai Seng opened.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
I visited the cinema on Saturday for Deathly Hallows. Nothing much has changed, at least in my opinion, but they've added very comfortable orange seats with unbelievable legroom.

Green day at Yishun

Golden Village Yishun reopens its doors as first eco-friendly cinema in Asia

IT WAS Singapore's first ever multiplex back in 1992, and now 18 years later, GV Yishun is adding another "first": The first eco-friendly multiplex in all of Asia. An intensive three-month renovation that started in August along with a $5-million refurbishment price tag, GV Yishun's efforts in going green incorporates a range of environmental sustainability initiatives.

From the installation of new energy-saving LED lights within the multiplex that will result in less heat emission and cooler cinema halls, to the energy-efficient "self-cooling" air-conditioning systems that allow temperatures in the cinema halls to be kept at temperate and comfortable levels, the cinema looks all set to live up to the "eco-friendly" tag.

There is also motion sensor lighting in the restrooms and a waterless flush system for male urinals for economical and ecologically-aware water usage, on top of the already implemented green measures available at other Golden Village locations such as the Mobile Ticketing Service and the use of electronic posters.

The popular GV Mobile Ticket allows movie-goers to gain direct entry into the cinema halls, beating the queues at the box office.

Managing director of Golden Village Multiplex David Glass sees GV Yishun paving the way in the green effort and hopes that all patrons will join.

"Given the high volume of traffic passing through our cinemas, it is important, that we, as cinema operators recognise the need to go green," he said.

"With sustainable technologies and green features that are available now, Golden Village wishes to take the lead in this aspect by aligning our operations to be environmentally-minded so as to reduce our carbon footprint."

To ensure that this is an ongoing endeavour, GV patrons will be encouraged to practice recycling so as to minimise the amount of waste sent for incineration.

At the cinema's pre-opening event two days ago, 800 patrons were all ready to kick off the green effort. They made an official written pledge to be more eco-friendly in their daily lives before becoming one of the first people to enjoy a movie in any one of the 10 newly renovated cinemas halls.

GV Yishun officially opened its doors to public yesterday. From now until Feb 3, 2011, patrons who buy four movie tickets at GV Yishun stand a chance to win an eco-friendly home appliance each month.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
So next time we'lll see more buildings with this naming format: (address number) (location name) :lol:

Agreed that going luxury doesn't necessarily mean more business for the mall. Perhaps a more neutral-class mall would be the best. A good mix of all "classes" of shops.
With so many expats living in the Katong-East Coast area, going "luxury" will ensure these people have a mall that they can go to (I doubt this mall will attract "heartlanders"). At the same time, it's clearly meant for the upper class crowd living in condos, landed properties in the area too. For some, Parkway Parade can be a little intimidating with the sea of locals, so this will make it easier for them.

A parallel would be River Valley at Great World City.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
Thanks for the articles:) I always wondered why they didn't maximize the use of their frontage along the bay. I assume DP is the architect for this project?
I would think it's because the original Esplanade Theatres project (which was supposed to be a lot grander and bolder) was supposed to obliterate Marina Square's waterfront advantage.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
^^ I knew this for a while, but was under embargo.

Personally, I feel H&M is getting a little boring, to be honest. Outside of its designer collaborations in March and November, there's little that really appeals to me... which is unlike a Topman or UNIQLO store, where I feel like each time I walk in, there's something that really attracts my attention.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
interesting… i always thought that open area at the centre of Marina Square (first picture) could have been property redeveloped, like maybe plant some plants.
The first picture of the previous post is Suntec City.

I don't like what they're doing with Suntec City at all. The mall suffers from perceived inaccessibility and general boringness, and all they plan is to add more retail space? No, you don't.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
Hooray! I ate at the Muji cafe in Yurakucho, and it was awesome. Having said that, they definitely need to control their prices. Soup Stock Tokyo, although very delicious, is definitely struggling compared to Soup Spoon.

· Banned
8,012 Posts
It is... but please stop playing with names... And I can't find the new name's FB page now...
Stop playing with the names?

The original name, Compass Point was a registered trademark and brand of ThaiBev subsidiary, Fraser Centrepoint's retail malls. When M&G took over the mall, they failed to communicate to the public that they had no rights to the "Compass Point" name and brand. Furthermore, they held a very subdued and subtle competition to name the mall which few even knew was taking place. Hence, when 1 Sengkang Mall was selected, there was such a public furore over the name and sudden name change.

The switch back to Compass One only served to confuse and annoy the public, all because M&G never ever wants spoken up to say "_____ Point" is a brand of ThaiBev Fraser Centrepoint, and we can't use that in Singapore, Australia and the region due to legal issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.