SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 16, 2010
Rise of mall in suburbs
More heartland shopping centres opening, others are revamped or expanded, thrilling residents
By Irene Tham & Ng Hui Ying

THE flashy facades carry the logos of hip brands like Topshop, Mango, Uniqlo and Bakerzin.

Inside, the warmly lit, swanky interiors and a diverse retail mix put you in a good mood to spend.

But you are not in an Orchard Road mall.

Welcome to the bright new world of heartland shopping centres, even while their downtown cousins - Ion Orchard, Mandarin Gallery, Orchard Central and [email protected], which opened last year - may have hogged more limelight.

Suburban malls are gaining strength in numbers, with new ones slated for Serangoon, Bedok, Clementi and Jurong. Existing ones, from Parkway Parade to Jurong Point, have been expanded and spruced up.

Why the big rush to the heartland? Experts point to suburban malls' strong resistance to the effects of a recession.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Singapore Shopping Centres News

Hi all,

Just wanted to suggest a new thread topic as I rarely see a general shopping developments thread on here? (Apart from Orchard Rd one)

I am visiting in early January for 4 days & have noticed developments on the net that (to my knowledge?) have never been featured/discussed.- Such as City Square Mall near Mustafa Centre:

http://www.yoursingapore.com/conten...shopping/shopping-malls/city-square-mall.html

Singapore’s First Eco-Mall
City Square Mall, located at the junction of Serangoon and Kitchener Roads, sits on the site of Singapore's historic New World Park. It is within close proximity to Little India, with a direct connection to Farrer Park MRT station.

With over 700,000 sq ft of gross retail space, spread over five retail levels, two basements and four levels of lifestyle services, it is home to about 200 tenants.

Offering a wide array of value-for-money merchandise and services, exciting promotional activities, street fare as well as international cuisine, City Square Mall is a miniature 'town-centre' which provides the perfect setting for the community to meet, play and shop while acquiring an eco-learning experience.

City Square Mall is the first mall in Singapore to be integrated with an urban park. Named City Green, the 49,000 square feet park is like a green carpet in front of the mall to welcome visitors. Filled with numerous wonderful surprises, City Green is designed to provide a learning experience about ecology and the natural environment.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Might as well add to my thread, as no-one else seems interested :lol:

Just noticed that Parco have opened a new Dept store in Singapore back in March at Milennia Walk mall at Marina Bay. http://www.parco.com.sg/
http://www.milleniawalk.com/about.php

PARCO Singapore is a fully-owned subsidiary of PARCO Co. LTD.

PARCO’s first foray into Singapore was in 1995 when Bugis Junction became the first shopping mall to have a glass-covered, air-conditioned shopping street amidst a nostalgic architectural setting. PARCO sold its stake at Bugis Junction in 2005. Between 2006 to 2009, PARCO was the appointed Retail Manager for The Central at Clark Quay.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
^^ Sorry... It's very hard to keep up with news of shopping centres in Singapore especially once they're completed.

Parco Millenia Walk has been opened for a while already, about a few weeks before the Circle Line from Dhoby Ghaut to Tai Seng opened.

·
threeyearson.
9,719 Posts
^^Visited PARCO once not many people visit Milennia Walk so not much customers. Anoter mall that opened recently is the Marina Bay Link Mall.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
I visited the cinema on Saturday for Deathly Hallows. Nothing much has changed, at least in my opinion, but they've added very comfortable orange seats with unbelievable legroom.

Green day at Yishun

Golden Village Yishun reopens its doors as first eco-friendly cinema in Asia

IT WAS Singapore's first ever multiplex back in 1992, and now 18 years later, GV Yishun is adding another "first": The first eco-friendly multiplex in all of Asia. An intensive three-month renovation that started in August along with a $5-million refurbishment price tag, GV Yishun's efforts in going green incorporates a range of environmental sustainability initiatives.

From the installation of new energy-saving LED lights within the multiplex that will result in less heat emission and cooler cinema halls, to the energy-efficient "self-cooling" air-conditioning systems that allow temperatures in the cinema halls to be kept at temperate and comfortable levels, the cinema looks all set to live up to the "eco-friendly" tag.

There is also motion sensor lighting in the restrooms and a waterless flush system for male urinals for economical and ecologically-aware water usage, on top of the already implemented green measures available at other Golden Village locations such as the Mobile Ticketing Service and the use of electronic posters.

The popular GV Mobile Ticket allows movie-goers to gain direct entry into the cinema halls, beating the queues at the box office.

Managing director of Golden Village Multiplex David Glass sees GV Yishun paving the way in the green effort and hopes that all patrons will join.

"Given the high volume of traffic passing through our cinemas, it is important, that we, as cinema operators recognise the need to go green," he said.

"With sustainable technologies and green features that are available now, Golden Village wishes to take the lead in this aspect by aligning our operations to be environmentally-minded so as to reduce our carbon footprint."

To ensure that this is an ongoing endeavour, GV patrons will be encouraged to practice recycling so as to minimise the amount of waste sent for incineration.

At the cinema's pre-opening event two days ago, 800 patrons were all ready to kick off the green effort. They made an official written pledge to be more eco-friendly in their daily lives before becoming one of the first people to enjoy a movie in any one of the 10 newly renovated cinemas halls.

GV Yishun officially opened its doors to public yesterday. From now until Feb 3, 2011, patrons who buy four movie tickets at GV Yishun stand a chance to win an eco-friendly home appliance each month.

·
threeyearson.
9,719 Posts
Not yet. Only passed by and peek from outside...
Must be pretty massive from outside since its the size of ION Orchard...... Have'nt had the chance to see i yet but the renders i posted above looks nice. I saw the floor plan of Isetan in the newspaper yesterday looks like its a big store.:cheers:

·
Merlion
45 Posts
Sounds nice!! Want to visit soon. Is it similar to the render?
Went there 2nites ago. The place is massive! Interior is very nice with a huge array of shops and dining outlets. But the huge Ntuc hypermarket is not open yet. Most of the dining outlets should be opened by now. The ceiling ligting is very cool...The whole place feels like a cross between [email protected] and Orchard Central with a little Ion effect...:)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Last time I went (Sunday), Freshness Burger still doing some touch up...

NTUC Xtra starts operation today, 24 hours.

1 - 20 of 421 Posts