SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many people on this forum are from Sioux Falls, or South Dakota for that matter, but I know a lot of you are from Minnesota and other midwest states. I was wondering if anyone has heard of the Phillips to the Falls project that has just been completed less than a year ago. It's goal is to develop more small businesses along the path to the Falls. The major thing that's straining Sioux Falls' downtown development is its industrialized north half and the lack of stores that stay open later. Our city is also hoping (real soon) to plan for an events center not too far from the Phillips project. The only concern is parking for this place and if it will attract any out of town visitors and possibly stimulate development downtown, and possibly relocate some of the cruddy industrialized things like the railroads. Does anyone else know of a situation where something similar has happened in their city? If so what was the outcome? Feel free to say whatever you feel too.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
why!? I dont know about N.D but South Dakota was one of the most beautiful states Ive been to. We drove through Sioux Falls but I didnt get to see the downtown. Probally one of the nicest places to drive through...very scenic and open. Of course we visited Mount Rushmore...but Deadwood was my favorite part of the state :) . The Badlands and Black Hills were also very cool. We also came during Sturgis was goin on..so we saw hundreds of bikers on our way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone on here know much about the city of Sioux Falls, i'm such a n00b when it comes to people on this site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Shane I know about Sioux Falls. I graduated from Lincoln high in 1985. Lived in Sioux Falls about 14 years, but I havent lived there in about 13 now. I do visit alot however. I know about the Phillips to Falls project. I checked it out around new years with all the lights up down there, was beautiful. So glad they cleaned up the falls. When I was a kid we snuck down there and checked it out in the middle of winter, the next day they found a homeless guy frozen to death right by where we were. Still wonder if he was there when I was and if I could have done anything about it. Anyway when I was a kid it was a dump for the most part and its come a long long way from then. Hope they can build that events center. I live near Mankato Minnesota about 2.5 hours away from SF and I would come down for stuff. Heck I go to SF more than I go to the Twin Cities even though they are closer. Im tired of the Twin Cities. I spent newyears at first day in SF, and come down all the time. We gave up our membership to the zoo in the twin cities to have one is SF, and love the kirby center. What can they do to redevelop downtown? They have to make it a place people want to be. Look at the rest of downtowns around the country and you will see a lot of residental going on in center cities (condos), many of them highrise. Would be nice to see a few taller buildings go up in downtown SF, has been a while since they built one. Then you have to do something that will attract people at night, and keep those stores open later. The goal is to make the downtown more of a 24 hour place. Being smaller SF downtown has a long way to go, but stores open later, and more nightlife along with more residental would be a start.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks like only 45 apartment units proposed, but it's also got a boutique hotel, class A office space and 600 parking stalls.

Here's what was proposed previously before the city opted for the safe (and probably much more realistic) route. Could've been a new tallest in the city.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Most of the previous high rise proposals are virtually dead. I'm not from the city, but I know it's growing like a weed and has a pleasant enough downtown, it's not exactly a bastion of progression on the downtown development front. City leaders have already chased off several of the flashier highrises shown above, the tallest of which was probably never a feasible proposal anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts