Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Awesome, that really is great for the West Midlands but also UK plc.

Digby and Jacqui Smith, new Home Secretary, should give some much needed midlands representation and will bring useful insights from their respective territories and backgrounds.

Also linked to the minister for trade and investment is the minister for Innovation, Universities and Skills. Its clear there is clear focus on skills, industry, innovation and the midlands should be a perfect place to benefit and also test ideas in these themes.

I feel a hip, hip, hooray is needed.

:banana:

...although I think we have done well out of deputy leader not being Blears too. Harman is good on women and rebuilding party. Blears is so northwest biased and focussed the midlands would almost certainly have been worse off with her as deputy.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
It is good news. No one better qualified for the job really.

Leaves an interesting question though if the elected mayor job comes up, do we think he'll quit so he can run? Or is the way clear now for Karren (Who has/is selling all her shares in BCFC at the moment?)

·
Registered
928 Posts
It is good news. No one better qualified for the job really.

Leaves an interesting question though if the elected mayor job comes up, do we think he'll quit so he can run? Or is the way clear now for Karren (Who has/is selling all her shares in BCFC at the moment?)
I imagine he would still try to run - assuming Labour party members vote for him as their candidate (these independent members of the government are all having to join the Labour party [the most amusing thing from Newsnight last night was the news that if Paddy Ashdown had taken the Northern Ireland job he would've had to join Labour]). That said - do Labour members vote for mayoral candidates? I can't remember from the London mayoral elections?

It is interesting though - he must have a possible run for mayor on his mind and so he has to start helping things happen. He's in a position to help things move, rather than just call for them to happen now.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think Digby would resign his position of MP to be the Mayor. It's one thing he really wants over anything.

Mr. Brown's PA is also the MP for Dudley North.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Ooh thats even cooler, we have a very good west midlands community around Mr Brown.

It sounds promising on city mayors though as there was article in Guardian about government thinking it is better to impose mayors as they are crucial for success. Be a good rile to the tories for them to start with Birmingham and good for the city.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Good news! Digby has really done well for himself! Lets hope we can get some Midland influence on the Scottish leader :)

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
I imagine he would still try to run - assuming Labour party members vote for him as their candidate (these independent members of the government are all having to join the Labour party [the most amusing thing from Newsnight last night was the news that if Paddy Ashdown had taken the Northern Ireland job he would've had to join Labour]). That said - do Labour members vote for mayoral candidates? I can't remember from the London mayoral elections?

It is interesting though - he must have a possible run for mayor on his mind and so he has to start helping things happen. He's in a position to help things move, rather than just call for them to happen now.
It gets even more interesting with him being made to join labour party. According to BBC News.

He is to be given a peerage and will take the Labour whip in the House of Lords, voting with the party's peers, but has refused to join the party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6251788.stm

·
Registered
928 Posts
It gets even more interesting with him being made to join labour party. According to BBC News.

He is to be given a peerage and will take the Labour whip in the House of Lords, voting with the party's peers, but has refused to join the party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6251788.stm
Interesting - seems Hazel Blears spoke last night without knowing the full story. Now there's a shock.

·
Certified loonie.
716 Posts

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
I'm a big fan of Diggers but if I'm being harsh you have to ask what benefit we got when he was head of the CBI!

Confederation of British Industry? What *@~#^y industry?

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
:) He's calling himself "Lord Jones of Birmingham"

Good old diggers....

There is still a link between Birmingham and Industry....:banana:

·
Wheels...
4,244 Posts
I suggest you buy the Brummie Post today :)

"I'll bang the drum for Brum"

He will "wear" the city on his forehead as he carries out his role as the UK plc's ambassador to the world.

I knew Labour had a trick up it's sleeve, they had to thin kof something after losing so many traditional labour voters in the region, it almost seemed like political suicide throwing all their eggs into a few easily offered baskets in recent years... I love it, haha!!!

Nice one.

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
I suggest you buy the Brummie Post today :)

"I'll bang the drum for Brum"

He will "wear" the city on his forehead as he carries out his role as the UK plc's ambassador to the world.

I knew Labour had a trick up it's sleeve, they had to thin kof something after losing so many traditional labour voters in the region, it almost seemed like political suicide throwing all their eggs into a few easily offered baskets in recent years... I love it, haha!!!

Nice one.
Yes EK! Got it and read it this morning.

I feel very positive about this today....:banana:

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
In the Observer today it has an article about Gordon Brown's allies being spread across all areas of government. I think, providing they get some much needed focus on the west midlands, we have an amazing opportunity.

Tom Waston who has been restored to his assistant whip's office is a member of the 'West Midlands Mafia' of Labour MPs close to Brown.

I think its time we all started writing to our local MPs particularly if they are Brown supporters and in the Brown camp as I think we have one of the best opportunities for a long time. Just a shame about having our current administration in city council.

·
Registered
928 Posts
In the Observer today it has an article about Gordon Brown's allies being spread across all areas of government. I think, providing they get some much needed focus on the west midlands, we have an amazing opportunity.

Tom Waston who has been restored to his assistant whip's office is a member of the 'West Midlands Mafia' of Labour MPs close to Brown.

I think its time we all started writing to our local MPs particularly if they are Brown supporters and in the Brown camp as I think we have one of the best opportunities for a long time. Just a shame about having our current administration in city council.
I think that's actually a bonus. If this was all totally safe Labour, he'd have no real need to focus here. But with an opposition council, might make him a bit wary come a general, and so spend a bit more time looking at Midland issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts