SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The resource consent application for Site 9 has been made so I thought it was time to create a thread for the building. The proposal is for a relatively small five storey building designed by Athfield Architects - the same firm who designed the neighbouring PWC Centre at Site 10.

As of yet (to my knowledge at least) there is no set use for the building; it will likely be either an office building or a hotel and, whatever its use, will have a retail component on the ground floor.

The completion of the project will also see the completion of the wider Kumutoto precinct.

Of course, as always with waterfront developments, Waterfront Watch have been vocal in their criticism of the proposal so who knows what might happen. Although, given the past struggles with Waterfront Watch, I'd say the developers and Council have been fastidious with dotting their i's and crossing their t's so there's probably a good chance that the development will go ahead.

The developers are Willis Bond and it's being built by LT McGuinness - again all the same as the neighbouring PWC Centre.

Here's the concept design presentation: https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/your-council/news/files/2017/site-9-kumutoto-presentation.pdf

The proposal:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As of yet (to my knowledge at least) there is no set use for the building; it will likely be either an office building or a hotel and, whatever its use, will have a retail component on the ground floor.
So after reading the consent information it looks as though the building will definitely be used as offices. I guess it makes sense given the current prime office space shortage.

And some more renders:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Looks great, and offices is the perfect use.

I wonder if someone could replicate something similar to Empire Stores in Dumbo, NY. I now live nearby and it’s a fantastic mixed development. Retail/hospitality, offices with cool/creative tenants, lots of public accessible space including terraces - and Time Out food market (as per Lisbon) on the way. All while being sensitive to locals, sight lines and existing buildings.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Agreed - looks a good fit for the area. Similar to recent builds like the PwC building, but with enough variation. Contrasts (nicely) with the heritage sheds. Landscaping out front looks good, perhaps just a suggestion for more grass.

The building probably looks better from the Quays side, but the other side looks a better outcome for the waterfront. If that makes any sense.

Interesting how this has all turned out. Literally a wall of buildings separating the inner-city motorway from the waterfront. I like it.

If its an office block, ground floor retail/hospitality will be vital if this is to remain interesting outside of office hours. A hotel would be interesting as it would generate activity for longer and on weekends.

Now for the T-Wharf.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Resource consent approved for Site 9: WCC approved resource consent

Hopefully it'll get going this year...
Even though a chunk of it was pre-leased before lockdown, it will probably be the first real test of the demand for new space in the new normal we find ourselves in .... ( The second building of the phase 2 Bowen st development is probably the other place currently looking for tenants before committing to construction)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts