SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New loft project planned for Bathurst & Niagara. Quite an interesting building. Purchasers will be able to choose the actual cladding and composition of their facade. I've never seen that before.

The end result will be? Who knows but that's what makes it interesting.
This whole area has a bunch of neat little projects.

www.sixtyloft.com

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
They got some great low/mid rise condo's going up in that area (Queen to Front, Bathurst to Spadina). This should suit the area well with the right height, and even the post-modern look blends in with the area
This building looks a little strange from that pic, but I have a feeling it will turn out really nice once built.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
If I was a buyer I would choose the red glass. :D
The different facades is really interesting and I think this would end up looking really cool.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Interesting approach...could end up being one of those little filler gems.

As for the semis...I could be totally wrong here, as I haven't inspected the site....but my guess is the semi is necessary to step the scale down to meet old semis already in the area...probably dictated by the city.

KGB

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking of other projects in the area..

20 Stewart

68 Orchard

Zed

455 Adelaide W

59 on Richmond

66 Portland

169 Richmond

Zen Lofts

and there's also Quad Lofts (2 buildings) u/c but I can't find a rendering.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
416 said:

20 Stewart

68 Orchard

Zed

455 Adelaide W

59 on Richmond

66 Portland

169 Richmond

Zen Lofts

68 Orchard View is actually in the Yonge-Eglinton area and it's already cancelled. And 59 On Richmond is cancelled too. It's really a shame, both are nice buildings. And I'm not sure what's going on with 169, it's been in sales for quite some time now and construction hasn't started yet.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
There's also a 9 storey rental project on Niagara (I think), just south of King st. called Fifty On The Park, here's the website: http://www.leasefifty.com/ It's almost finished construction and occupancies start in the summer.

BTW:I was on Queen Street & Spadina yesterday and I saw a sign advertising another new condo/loft project called 535 Richmond or something, I forgot the website it said on the sign but I'll get it next time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
59 was cancelled? How come? That was one of the better ones too!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. So they cancel this project because it was going to shade a garden? You'd think the two parties would of worked together to come up with a design solution. Surely there could of been a compromise.

I'd be pissed if I bought there/

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"I was on Queen Street & Spadina yesterday and I saw a sign advertising another new condo/loft project called 535 Richmond or something, I forgot the website it said on the sign but I'll get it next time."

Pretty sure that is the cancelled 59 on Richmond

"So they cancel this project because it was going to shade a garden? You'd think the two parties would of worked together to come up with a design solution."

Yes, chop off 4 to 6 floors

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
416 said:

Wow, when you put the pics all together like that, you really notice just how similar architecturally they all are. Mid-rise, large use of glass, oversized balconies, and a post modern look.
I am impressed that they at least have a vision for the neighbourhood, unlike harbourfront. Although, maybe a mix of townhomes to the fray would'nt be bad just for some variety

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Chalk up another one for the Fashion District: Mode Lofts at 399 Adelaide. Another parking lot bites the dust.

www.modelofts.com/

No renders of the building yet but it would probably follow the trend of the other mid-rises in the area.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's kinda cool how there's this post-modern neighbourhood emerging downtown. But what's up with the name 'Fashion District'? I thought it was known as the Garment District. I've been noticing that in a couple ads now.

Is there any 'fashion' still left there? Doesn't seem really fitting. It would be like if there were no bars or theaters in the 'Entertainment District'. I don't know -I may be wrong but.. whatever.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
416 said:
I think it's kinda cool how there's this post-modern neighbourhood emerging downtown. But what's up with the name 'Fashion District'? I thought it was known as the Garment District. I've been noticing that in a couple ads now.

Is there any 'fashion' still left there? Doesn't seem really fitting. It would be like if there were no bars or theaters in the 'Entertainment District'. I don't know -I may be wrong but.. whatever.
Yeah, I agree that it's definately nice to see another downtown area being revivalized.

And about the whole "Fashion District" name, the street signs actually call the area the Fashion District. Which I find kind of misleading, it really isn't the hip fashion district that the name tells you. I think that Garment district is a more appropriate name for the area but Fashion District sounds more appealing. The only thing "fashion" about the area is the remaining factories and the outlet clothing stores along Spadina.

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
416 said:

While many of the garment producers have left the area over the years, there are still quite a few factories left in some of the older buildings. There mostly on Spadina, between King and Queen.
But I agree, the Fashion District name does'nt really fit the neighbourhood. Quite frankly, I find the whole district thing a bit redundant.
Fashion district, entertainment district, Studio district, art and design district, Discover district (err I think).
Too bad they did'nt have names as opposed to just some nouns

1 - 20 of 96 Posts