SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2672 Posts

·
Macedonia
45,485 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is George and I live in Skopje, the capital of the Republic of Macedonia. I'm starting this thread as a place where I could show some interesting parts of my hometown, most of them fare away from the usual touristic attractions. I must warn you that I'm not a professional photographer, so don't expect too much :)

If you are interested to find out more about Skopje, please visit this link.

Feel free to comment!

I will start with one panoramic photo from January this year...

DSC06951 by george k. 1981, on Flickr

To be continued...

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
wow! amazing growth and the skyline is impressive and getting massive.
since Macedonia is an ancient country, do you have a district with really an old, old architecture and is the spirit or legacy of Alexander the Great still alive today?

·
Macedonia
45,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow! amazing growth and the skyline is impressive and getting massive.
since Macedonia is an ancient country, do you have a district with really an old, old architecture and is the spirit or legacy of Alexander the Great still alive today?
The district with the oldest architecture is the Skopje's old town, known as "čaršija" (чаршија in Macedonian, a Persian word for "bazaar" that entered in the Macedonian language trough the Turkish language). I will show some parts of the Skopje's old town in the next posts. Most of the architecture there is from the late 19th century (with exception of several mosques, churches, ins and Turkish baths, that are from 15th, 16th or 17th century).

About the second question - the so called spirit or legacy of Alexander is more present in today's popular culture than in the real spiritual or cultural life.

·
Macedonia
45,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skopje City Mall, probably the biggest mall in the city. It's located in the district of Karpoš, and it's quite away from the usual tourist routes.

DSC08221 by george k. 1981, on Flickr

DSC08222 by george k. 1981, on Flickr

·
Macedonia
45,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Macedonian Parliament („Собрание“ - Sobranie in Macedonian language). It's located in the center of the city. It was built in 1938, according the design of the Czech architect Victor J. Hudak. Today is under reconstruction process, but most of the work is 95% complete.

DSC05411 by george k. 1981, on Flickr

·
Macedonia
45,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of my favorite new buildings in Skopje - the multi-storey car park in the central district. It was designed by the architect Milan Mijalkovic (in cooperation with: PPAG architects and Goricanka architects) and it was open for use on the 8th of September 2013. The car park has 460 parking spots. Too bad it's located in a part of the city's center where average tourist wouldn't pass by.

DSC07349 by george k. 1981, on Flickr

more info about this building here

1 - 20 of 2672 Posts