Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm pretty sure SJP or Gateshead international stadium, or in future their new stadium would be prefferd choices then SOL. In all honesty, I couldn't care less if they relocate, Newcastle and that of the region is a football area, I don't think they bring that much in the way of jobs or indeed investment into the city or region, anything they do would surely go to pay off their debt or into the clubs coffers. If Rugby ever wants to franchise, I'm up for selling the Falcons, seems wrong how a football city has a rugby team in the top flight but a football team in the 2nd.

Infact, we'll do you a deal, you can have the Falcons if Newcastle can have Sunderlands place in the EPL, sounds fair to me.
Have you tried any other sports than just football? This region has a lot to offer in terms of sports

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Northern England Ski Resorts

What you on about you may think?

Well we have a few ski resorts (outdoor) not far from everyone in the northern part of the region - Mainly Durham and above.

RAISE - On the northeast slopes of the hill of the same name, an hours walk from Glenridding on Ullswater.

Where is it? As said above it's mainly in the Lake District 3280937877_[/MEDIA]<br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=yadmoss&sll=54.565295,-3.051796&sspn=0.051355,0.196037&ie=UTF8&hq=yadmoss&hnear=&ll=54.615236,-2.902943&spn=0.119878,0.357246&t=h" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>]MAP OF YADMOSS

Ski hut and ticket office and start of lifts. There is also the alpine ski bistro - 3 course meals as long as you bring them yourself.

4x4 is essential if you are to make it to the resort in snowy conditions.
More detailed information to come

Swinhope Moor - on the west side of the unclassified road over the Westernhope Moor, south of St Johns Chapel in Weardale

http://www.skiweardale.com/index.html

Where is it? Well it's on a stretchy bit of road next Westernhope moor. If your going in snowy conditions take a shovel a blanket and some food and water oh and a 4x4 would be very handy.MAP OF SKI WEARDALE

SKi Weardale WEBCAM

*More info on all 'resorts' to come plus other resorts tomorrow. I'm tired.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes, Sir John Hall certainly had some big ideas with his SPORTING CLUB, all based around the model that was and is the Barcelona Sporting Club. Just a shame that his dreams did not come to fruition.

Whilst an Ice Hockey Team was formed by Sir John, playing at the METRO ARENA, it now no longer plays its games within Newcastle, instead playing at WHITLEY BAY ICE RINK as the NEWCASTLE VIPERS. The team is no longer owned by Sir John.
Sir John Hall didn't 'form' a hockey team for the arena, he bought the Durham Wasps and wanted to merge them into his sporting club. The big blue machine was renamed Newcastle Cobras (along later with Sunderland set up)

The Whitley Warriors were playing out of the arena when it first opened changing their name to Newcastle Warriors. it was when Sir John hall wanted to form an Ice Hockey Super League (of which he did) for his sporting club, which would only allow arena teams to compete. This forced the warriors back to hillheads to drop down a league.

Looking at ice hockey these days compared to the 90's, it doesn't have a patch on it. Rinks are quarter full with attendances reaching 500 mark for an elite league club.

Hockey in the UK, specially in the North East and Scotland was a well followed sport before SJH came along and introduced the Super League of where basically all the players were imports, leaving the brits to lag behind in development.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
As it happens I serve and I am on friendly-ish terms with a couple of lads from Canada and the USA who play for the Vipers. Anyway the team isn't doing so well on or off the field and they are now resigned to moving back home at the end of the season when the Vipers are expected to go out of business. It's also worth mentioning that even the Vipers are now currently playing at Whitley Bay Ice rink.
i played hockey with a few vipers and other players around the country and yeah them scrapping the team has been on the cards for a while now. Taking away Whitley and Durham names from north east hockey has hurt over the years. Durham and Whitley used to cram in 3000 and 3500 respectively, and that was when there was more brits playing, rather like now where there are more imports.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I like the graffiti (when done well) dotted around the city. Making space for art will be good for the city I think.

If you don't create a space for some graffiti, they will only use it put put crap graffiti/tags over anyway.

That 'FIGS CREW" has been there for years and I have sort of got used to it now. I think the bridge would't be the same without it, if you look at it in another way.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Then why don't you scrawl your name on your own house? And what on earth is an "urban experience"?

I'm staggered that someone could believe this vandalism of our beautiful bridges is a good thing. I'm pretty confident that your view is confined to a small minority, with the respectful majority utterly against these idiotic, unimaginative scawlings. I'd be tempted to cut the fingers off these criminals if I caught them.
You may have some valid points but you come across as a whining olg git.

Leave out the dissing and get back to having a normal 'discussion' without the 'well how would you like it if we came round and tagged your house with your name' crap.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Call me what you like, but I'm pretty sure most residents of Newcastle will be disgusted with such defacement of our great bridges by a bunch of immature, petty criminals.
And i'm sure there are some residents that don't mind a bit of graffiti when it is done well, just like what has been said in these threads.

No one is saying that the 'figscrew' on the bridge should be slung around the city like an advertising board, but that it has been there for years and to me, has become part of that bridge.

Just because people have a different opinion to you don't knock them for it.

Discussion - YES
Argumentative - NO

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I like graffiti, even tags like 'figscrew' etc Like others said it adds to the urban experience.

Re Ice Hockey, I used to play at junior level and was a Whitley Warriors fan who attended games most Sunday nights in the 90's. It was fantastic tbh, Whitley V Durham playing to a packed out 3500 rink; it sure was a great spectacle with a superb atmosphere. I remember the Scottish teams like Fife Flyers who would come down and their fans who would refuse to stand up during the national anthem :lol: Then there were the Sheffield Steelers who would bring tons of fans with them; a good few thousand; sometimes there would be as many Sheffield fans at the game as Warriors fans. I remember other teams too like the Nottingham Panthers and the Cardiff Devils. You used to see a good few of the NUFC players at Whitley Ice Rink watching games too.

Good times!! :cheers:
I started at Junior Level too. Watched the Warriors in the 90's with the electric atmosphere. You just couldn't beat it, specially when the wasps were in. I'm still playing now, albeit it's recreational but it's still competitive when we play.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Isn't there some debate about whether halal is cruel..? I'm guessing that was his point.
If his opinion on Halal meat is because he condemns it to be cruel, then either way the animal has been treat the same way through it's lifetime according to the standards set throughout the european union and abroad to high standards.

It is only when it comes to slaughter that the death is different. Halal or non halal, the animal still dies within that few moments ready for me and you to eat.

Religious views aside, if it bothers you that much, I recommend you become a vegetarian.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I was having a similar conversation with my dad last night. This country is moving away from going to the pub, men and women interact and spend more time together, people spend more time with their kids, the increase in play centre's over the last few years is unbelievable. When I was little (I'm only 25) we never had anything like that, if we were lucky a pub had a small soft play section.

Now entertaining at home is more common, with supermarkets making alcohol more affordable and cheaper to drink at home than going it's no wonder now. I was checking today, Tesco's have Brown ale for sale for £1.24 per bottle, the same bottle would cost you over £3 in a pub, even soft drinks in pubs now are expensive.
I completely disagree with you. I'm not much older than you and regularly ring my mate up and ask if he fancies a pint, and off we go. I take my daughter out for a meal probably once a fortnight as I always like to get out. The places we are going both for a pint or meal have changed since the late 90's and are catering to our needs.

A pub now is just a pub serving best scotch. It caters to a wider audience. If places (other than pubs) do not change then they lose the customers. People are still going out and I can guess the amount of new openings/refurbs is on the rise. The venues of yesteryear will struggle to survive if they don't change with the wind.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I recently spent a few days in Brighton. The seagulls there have evolved. Their feathers are no longer waterproof as they no longer have to dive for food from the sea. Everything they need is to be found on the streets of the resort. I think the same has happened to the kittiwakes and pigeons. A few years ago while waiting in a bus station ( don't remember where) I watched pigeons happily hopping around with no feet! They obviously had lost them and adapted quite well to being footless.
If I had wings too I'd just fly....feet or not!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Plus one. I ve only seen it once blatantly in the city with some idiots being rude to a chap in a bar. I used my 6ft3 to 'ask' him to leave and then bought the other guy a pint.
Good man, we need more people like you. it's horrific the amount of crap I've seen on Facebook from supposed 'friends' (I'll delete that app one day). Sick of the 'if you're offended by this'...naw I'm pissed off because the cooncil have to repaint the roundabout and close a road which costs money man!

I'm not saying this specifically to those who voted leave, but Brexit has brought out worms from under the rocks.

Back to the quote, I'd do exactly the same for that guy, however, well done you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts