Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 697 Posts

·
14,069 Posts
That's very interesting - SJF have it as the 'second oldest', but at 1878 that sounds wildly unlikely.

the Spanish connection comes from the Mexican and Spanish consulates that were situated nearby, on either side of it.
Doing a bit of Digging the Mexican vice consul [a George Jenkins] was based at 1 Sandhill, with the Anglo American Telegraph Company, and the Spanish [a Ferdinand de Capri, with the Chancellor, a John Avery] was at 67 Grey Street, so though they were not directly on either side this idea of their hooking up in the Crown sounds at least plausible.

It wasn't there in 1858 according to Kelly's - the chemist story also seems to stack up, though the chemist [John Pattinson] is listed as an analytical chemist. There is a spirit merchant [Alexander Dinning] listed at 33 Side. Looking at this [and the role of the spirit merchant in importing, and often bottling wines] I also wonder if this might give some form of hispanic connection to the address - thinking of Jerez, sherries etc.

Ward's 1890 Directory doesn't show the bar listed as the Crown [with or without the Posada], but it does list a Gibson & Co, Innkeepers on the site [there may, or may not be significance to other Innkeepers in the directory not having the & Co]. Kelly's 1894 onwards has it as listed as the Crown Posada with the prop' being a George Frederick Gibson.

On the subject of the oldest pub in the city centre; does anyone have a definitive answer to this. My reading is that until the wrecking ball hit the Egypt Cottage was usually held out at the oldest. Discounting the Crown Posada there seem to be claims for the Old George [which sounds plausible] and the Duke of Wellington http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006021304010. The Duke sounds a little improbable, though as it s run by a friend it would cheer him up if it were true.

Anyone have a definitive on this ?

·
14,069 Posts
Many thanks for the reply. I look forwards to seeing the book. The consulate story certainly seems to stack up [though I must admit I was amazed that there was a Mexican consulate at the time]. I discussed this with a couple of friends in The Duke last night; they had heard that the latest Fitzgerald's steer is that the Crown is the oldest licensed establishment in Newcastle, but in the light of your research that also seems unlikely.

Oldest pub does seem a nightmare. I suppose I had in mind a test of continually trading on the same site [with perhaps the odd brief closure for refurb' and rebuild]. Worryingly that test would mean that it's Circuit 1, the foetid pit that replaced the equally unpleasant Liquid which would get the honours

God help us, this is the oldest continuously trading pub premises in Newcastle. I am reminded of HL Mencken's axiom that 'no one ever went bust under-estimating...'. This is prima facie evidence that no one ever went bust under-estimating the tastes of Bigg Market Drinkers !!!!!

There is a record of a Sir William Brereton lodging at the White Swan in June of that year. Apparently he didn't care too much for it.
Some things don't change. Mind you Brereton was a staunch puritan, so perhaps the Bigg Market was never going to be his natural home. At least they're keeping the standards as low as possible. Perhaps they'd like a blue plaque... then again :eek:hno:.

Lance seems to be keeping ahead. I gather he's in with a good shout at 2nd in CAMRA's pub of the year. Actually, there's the opportunity for a bit of lobbying here; CAMRA members vote for the Duke. I always brighten my evening up by getting friends who've never met Lance to try to order a pint of John Smiths - then I duck :bash:.

·
14,069 Posts

·
14,069 Posts
From the Which website

Proving responsibility for a fault

I bought a new television four months ago which has now developed a serious problem. I took it back to the shop and they’ve said I must have done something to cause the problem, and won’t do anything about it unless I could prove the fault was there when I bought it. Is this true?

The retailer is wrong; if something proves to be faulty within the first six months from when you buy it, the law assumes it was faulty at the date of purchase and the onus will be on the trader to show that actually you were at fault, for example, by dropping or failing to properly maintain the item.

Cheers
GBDT
Not strictly on topic, though about retail so close enough.. but GBDT is absolutely correct.

Many retailers give a metaphorical two fingers on the assumption that the punters won't fight back.

If anyone wants chapter and verse [and EC directive] let me know.

·
14,069 Posts
A discussion about your rights when buying goods was started today on the 'Retail' thread.

While not strictly a "Newcastle Area" (only) subject, it is (in my view) an important subject, where a discussion about it could produce some information and guidance that is of use to some of us!

As it is slightly 'off-topic' for the Newcastle Retail Thread (and it would get 'lost' in there, anyway) I have therefore put it into its own dedicated thread - at least for the time being.

After the discussion is concluded, we can decide what to do with the thread at that point.

Fair enough, thanks for the housekeeping NH :)

·
14,069 Posts
I'm not all that clued up on landscaping and trees, but I'm sure I've heard )and recently read since I myself am looking for Palm tree for my garden) that trees such as palm trees that are mature can survive British winters. The Palm trees on the Quayside look mature and the ones on Grey street don't appear to be exotic. I maybe wrong though.
Parents live in Winlaton [bleak in the winter] and not too far from them is a house with what at least looks to be a palm tree - been there for years.

·
14,069 Posts
I can see the Independent turning into a free paper. It's the future really. I just hope it doesn't go under, it's a massively under-rated paper. The new slimed down version, i, is very good too and cheaper than a red-top.
I agree. For what it s worth the Indy and I are now selling more papers [combined] than the Guardian - I suspect they might make it. However the Observer is not looking good.

·
14,069 Posts
Well on a lighter note, I'd like to ask for your suggestions. I have a visitor coming up soon and I want some good places where we could go. Now of course, I've had some ideas but I'd like to hear yours too since you lot have a vast array of local knowledge.

So, where do you reckon I should go with her? I'm restricting this to Newcastle (and the Quayside area of Gateshead) and perhaps places easily reachable on the metro or public transport, as I don't have access to a car at the minute and she's travelling a fair distance so I don't want to be travelling too much.

She rarely drinks, but when she does, she likes wine so I'm looking for suggestions as to a nice bar with decent wine. I tend to just go to cheap places because I lack sophistication and go out to get drunk, so I'm stuck here as to where to pick. I'm not a wine drinker. I don't want clubs either. I know those already, and she doesn't do that.

And perhaps some shops? I don't mean clothes shops. I mean shops that you might describe as quirky but not Smokey Joe's. Something like a bookshop that sells old second hand books so you can have a good perusal. We spend a fair amount of time in places like that in London but I'm stuck for ideas here. Waterstone's doesn't count.

I think I'm fine on museums and galleries, although what would you say is the best one for local stuff?

Best places to go walking? There's the coast and Jesmond Dene/Ouseburn, but any other suggestions?

This is your chance to share your best bits of Newcastle. Share them with me, and everyone else. Anything is welcome.
One of the best views of Newcastle is from Six at the top of the Baltic. So long as you go in looking tidy you can sit in the bar area and just buy a coffee or a drink. If you go in the evening it can feel quite exclusive/clubby if you want to impress. Good wine list and amazing views if you want to impress - check the opening times to be safe. You can also obviously walk her over the millennium bridge and get the view up and down river. Hotel Du Vin has a nice bar too.

You could look at Attica for classic clothes in Old George Yard - Camden Market-ish [IMHO the other 2 on high bridge are either a bit pretentious or a bit smelly].

I'd echo Tynemouth Market and possibly the Q side market too.

As to bars.... need a bit more depth [are you trying to impress, is it your maiden Aunt, is she a cocktail girl, more of an 'alternative' type etc etc]. For wine you could also try the Vineyard. It's unusual and [the boys toilets at least are worth the visit - the sink has a gargoyle and the urinal is a waterfall]. There's also Soho which is nice for wine.

Unless she's a real shrinking violet then at least passing Bigg Market and the Gate at night has entertainment value and you can impress her with how sophisticated you are and how you'd never go there :)

·
14,069 Posts
But, thanks for mentioning the Baltic. I thought the restaurant atop there had closed, so is this Six the replacement? It sounds good for a coffee or whatever as you say, since I get bored of visiting Starbucks and Caffe Nero. Since I'm still open for bar suggestions in particular, I shall go into some more depth:
Yes Six is the replacement for the McCoys that disappeared. I ve not eaten there but have heard good reports. Certainly the viewing box lounge would be a recommend. Do check the opening times tho.

I'm not particularly looking to impress, but I do want to go somewhere decent. Bars I know she likes are ones that have massive wine lists and pretentious cocktails that cost like £20. So a place that is quite good for that would be ideal. Beer is not her thing. She's not the alternative type. I'm not sure what type I'd say she is. She's quite classy and traditional almost. Artsy perhaps, but without the appearance of a stereotypical artsy person, whatever that is. I don't think she'd like the crowd of Florita's. Or indeed many places along Collingwood Street.
If she likes the bars on Collingwood street send her packing, she s not a keeper anyway :).

Certainly the Hotel Du Vin has a good cellar, as does [or did anyway] the Copthorne. Vineyard is interesting because they only serve 1 beer - bottled Duvel [not a session beer]. Everything else is wine and cocktails. It is unusual and you might want to scope it out in advance to be sure.

·
14,069 Posts
What? I'm not over analysing and nor is she 'my baby'. I've not been home for a while, and she's never been here, so I just wanted some ideas. It's not like we hardly know each so it's not even a case of trying to impress or win her over.
I think they might have been joking slightly :).

Partly it wasn't that clear whether it was someone you were 'with', someone you wanted to be with, or if it was your wealthy Aunt who you were hoping would change her will....

:banana:

·
14,069 Posts
This thread is for all pubs in the area covered by "The Newcastle Metro Area Forum" . . . including Gateshead!!
Just a thought NH. Alf's comment might be correct - though this thread is in the Newcastle - Metro area it is called Newcastle pubs. Would it be better as Tyneside pubs to reflect the bigger area it really encompasses.

1 - 20 of 697 Posts