Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 830 Posts

·
23,189 Posts
Can I ask for a few opinions.

We already have the Newcastle Metro Area Photography thread, as a STICKY. I am sure that over time, this will regularly fill up with NEW photos that we take around the City, and elsewhere.

Now, I am also hoping that, similarly, the Historic Newcastle thread builds up with lot's of photos from bygone days . . there are already some great ones in there, mainly from maxtoon.

To help with that, I was wondering if anyone would object if I asked the mods to also make the Historic Newcastle thread a sticky. We don't want too many sticky's, but I think that this one would probably be the last.

Anyway, what do you think?

·
23,189 Posts
I'm not sure if this should go here or in it's own thread, but here goes:

I'm after a bit of help from any of you (as many as possible I guess), particularly anyone that lives or has lived in Gosforth. In short, I'm having to analyse the area and get to know the social aspects of the area - what people feel about the area, how they feel it's changed, whether this is a good thing, what the positive and/or negative aspects of the area are, what makes it distinct, whether it feels like part of Newcastle or a semi-separate place etc.

What are you views? There's no one particular thing I'm after, any anecdotal stories or views are perfectly valid...

Thanks for any help in advance!
The Gosforth area of Newcastle is a 'typical example' of a suburb of a large city, in it's origins, growth and physical appearence.

It is, in parts, a fairly central suburb of Newcastle, as it starts (as do a few other Newcastle suburbs, namely Fenham, Kenton and Jesmond) at the northern edge of our main City Centre park, the Town Moor. Although it also stretches almost to the northern City Boundary, its closeness to the City Centre is revealed by its post-code area . . .

NE1 - City Centre.
NE2 - Jesmond, Sandyford.
NE3 - Kenton, Gosforth, Fawdon.

It is one of the oldest Newcastle suburbs, in terms of physical development, but for many years it's residents enjoyed all the advantages of living in a large city, without having to pay for any of them through their rates (now Council Tax) as until 1974 this part of Newcastle was classed as an 'Urban District' and had its own little local authority.

This area has one of the best suburban shopping streets in the entire City. Along with the likes of Shields Road (Byker), West Road (Denton / Fenham / Elswick), Chillingham Road (Heaton), Gosforth High Street provides an excellent selection of non-City Centre style shopping.

There is also a large selection of housing wthin this suburb, from terraced houses (some very large) through to large detached houses and bungalows. In 'relatively' recent years, Newcastle 3, of which Gosforth is a part, has seen quite a major expansion 'outwards' of housing areas, mainly since the 1930s. Areas such as Brunton Park, Melton Park, Whitebridge Park, Kingston Park, and now Newcastle Great Park have all spread the Gosforth-area community northwards, pushing the 'Green belt' ever farther away.

Anyway, those are just a few quick thoughts of mine, as a current resident, on the nature of the Gosforth area of Newcastle. A canny place to live, though not my favourite part of Newcastle, as it happens!

·
23,189 Posts
so what is your favourite part of newcastle, Historian?
Hi Johnny,

Jesmond.

When I lived with my parents (who moved around 'endlessly') I lived in many different places in both city and country (wish they'd paid the rent!!) but I did a big chunk of my growing-up while we were living in Jesmond, so I think that is (partly) the reason why I like it so much.

It has changed a LOT, in the last ten years, but I still like it just as much . . in fact MORE!!!

Do you have a favourite part of Newcastle, including the City Centre?

·
23,189 Posts
Hmm, good question...i tend to like little nooks and crannies like summerhill square or old places that haven't been gentrified yet, such as down near Popolo, or the area behind the station before the turnbull was turned into apts and hanover mills burnt down/turned into flats.
Yeah, I have 'little favourite areas' too, but I was mainly thinking of MAIN areas when I answered the question.

I actually LOVE Hanover Street, though I much preferred it before the fire at the Bonded Warehouse, though the 'area around there' is much better now (in terms of amenities and places to actually live) than it was in the pre-fire days.

I worked in the 'rabbit warren' that was that Bonded Warehouse for a number of years, so I got a great affection for the place.

When I was a child living in Elswick, I used to visit the Summerhill Square area a fair bit, I was too young to remember it in detail, but my mother told me years later that I had told her I wanted to live there 'when I grew up' . . .

I'm still waiting . . (on both counts!)

·
23,189 Posts
Since the start of the Sub-Forum, their has been no less then 1,024 (not including this one) new posts in the Newcastle Metro Area, side of the Sub-Forum alone.

By new I mean not including all the posts that have been taken across from our exisiting threads which have been moved here. Also that number does not include the number of posts which were the first posts in each thread.

So not bad, lets keep it up.

By contrast I don't think any other Sub-Forum (of a city) as a hole has hit 1,000 since we have had ours, apart from the London one.
Chris, I was going to use my wonderful photo (!) to challenge your posting figures, because . . .

My photo on 'Day 1' (14/10) shows Newcastle Metro Area Forum, with 6,934 posts.

The current post level for us today (25/10) is 7,290 posts.

So, the increase is only 356 posts!!

What is the reason for this?

Well, a very large part of it is because on 'Day 1', we had the Tyne & Wear Metro thread in the Newcastle sub-forum, and that has now been moved out to the basic 'North East' forum, and that has 607 posts in it.

The new calculation therefore is 6,934 minus 607 = 6,327 . . . then, 7,290 minus 6,327 = 963 posts.

Still not 'exactly' the same as your 1,024 posts Chris - but getting there!

(NB - I'm free to do all this exciting number-crunching, as the missus (and her friends) are all watching the X Factor, and I'd rather pose naked in Fenwicks window . . (just a personal opinion!)

·
23,189 Posts
^surely that is missing out the posts that had been made before you took the screenshot though - for instance the Newcastle Retail thread had 4 posts in it by then and there'd been plenty more posts made before that one was even started by BigLebowski!
Yes, probably, but it wasn't a huge number of posts missed.

Anyway, no matter what the figure is (1,024 or 936, or somewhere in between, cos they're quite close) then it is still a VERY STRONG PERFORMANCE BY US!!!

Shows we should have had our sub-forum a while back, really.

·
23,189 Posts
Just thinking, maybe it's time we had our first SSC meet up. I mean now that our Sub-Forum is up and running, things seem to be happening a little faster in terms of developement, I just feel we could have alot to discuss, and it would be great to put faces to the names.

Anyone be up for it?
Well, if anyone wants to put a face to my name, . . . do you remember that Dan NUFC found this excellent 'City Council Website' of photos, and posted it on October 18th on the Historic Newcastle Photos thread? (See below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlecitycouncil/

Just stumbled upon that, absolutely loads of photo's on there.
Well, I was VERY surprised looking through it the other day, to find a photo of ME (Photo number 028761 in the City Council collection) RIGHT HERE . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4079274855/sizes/o/

That's me on the far left!!! (so there you are!)

·
23,189 Posts
Historian, what year is that photo with you in from? Early 80's?
Not actually the 1980s hollow man . . . it was in fact taken on the very afternoon of the first day the 'second phase' of Eldon Square opened . .

On 16th September 1976.

'Phase One' - that I was also at the first day of, had opened in March of that year (1976).

I had been waiting for Eldon Square to open in 1976, for a long (long) time, I had seen all the amazing plans and read all the newspaper and magazine articles about what was coming, but I just could hardly believe that we were getting such a large, beautiful, modern (indoor) shopping centre, grafted
in amongst all those complex old City Centre streets!
. That was SUCH an amazingly difficult thing to do, though it is 'accepted' as the normal street layout (and often much criticised) these days . . .

It was a fantastic time for 'Newcastle retail', with all those new (brand new to the City) shops arriving, in this wonderful new environment. Can you imagine a hundred or so new shops (and a lot of them WERE new to Newcastle) arriving today?? So, I just took the afternoon off work (as I had also done in March for Phase One opening) and I spent the entire afternoon 'just walking around it all'.

Though, I didn't know I was being 'captured' by the official photographers (or, the 'City Engineers Dept' as they were known) for posterity!!

I now have a PRINT of that photo, and here it is, photographed the other day with two of my large collection of "Eldon Square newspapers/magazines" from the time, from my own records . . .

You can see from this photo, just how the new entrance to Fenwicks actually looked on the opening day of ES Phase 2. Fenwicks got into ES (with all it's benefits) so very easily . . .. All they had to do was "kick a hole in their existing wall", same as that was all they had to do when Monument Mall opened! Bainbridges (John Lewis) their fellow big Department Store, had a much more difficult and expensive job, having to completely move home from Market Street/Grey Street. This, though, then enabled Binns (House of Fraser) to move further along Grey Street into their larger vacated premises.

Interesting times, which have been brought (even more) back to life for me, by this photo!!

·
23,189 Posts
Very interesting stuff Historian. Shame most of us want the streets back today!!!
I don't disagree . . mostly. But it was a VERY exciting and fulfilling time to experience, because the promised things actually happened, and they happened big-style, and it was just great, very 'satisfying' as you might say.

If EPS had come off earlier and the current ES extensions had attracted more new retailers, we might be having a similar-type situation right now!

·
23,189 Posts
Okay, so this is actually nearly done, but still worth a thread for the next few months.

I was in town today, and alot of it seemed to be getting re-pathed. Along with it being re-pathed, Low Friar St is being cut off, and for some reason they are re-enforcing the ground before they re-pathe it.
St Andrews church has also had some work done on it aswell, and alot of the repathing work is being done directly outside of it, which is a good thing, because the path there is old, cracked and subsiding/dipping.

This road will also be closed to traffic on Sunday.
I was down that way this afternoon, and as other posters have said, Low Friar Street (entrance from Newgate Street) has been cut off and paved over for some years now.

However (certainly today) the area just a little bit further along Newgate Street (next to the old St Andrews church) is being newly cut off and paved over - at the junction of Newgate Street with St Andrews Street.

Could this be what you saw Chris?

·
23,189 Posts
Might be a slightly random question (its for a bet actually) BUT anyone knows how long Rolls Royce has been on Scotswood Road?
Well, I'm not sure where exactly you mean, but if you mean the building on the corner next to the City Council public tip? Then it was certainly there in 1986.

I used to do business with them then.

It was then called (to give it its full name) Vickers Pressings - a division of Rolls Royce.

·
23,189 Posts
Well, I'm not sure where exactly you mean, but if you mean the building on the corner next to the City Council public tip? Then it was certainly there in 1986.

I used to do business with them then.

It was then called (to give it its full name) Vickers Pressings - a division of Rolls Royce.
Sorry for the vagueness - Im talking about the bit where the blue footbridge is. They seem to have a big Rolls Royce badge on it now, which i think is a relatively recent thing BUT i was under the impression its been there for ages (which is 10-15 years as far as my memory can go back)
Now, we MAY be talking about the same place . . . not certain. Certainly the one I mention was a part of Rolls Royce, and has been there since (at least) 1986.

The 'blue footbridge' may (actually) be a little bit further East, towards Scotswood Bridge? In that case it is another Vickers company you are talking about. This one didn't even have the name Vickers in it's title. It was called (in the 80s and 90s and possibly early 'noughties') Michell Bearings. They produced all sorts of ball-bearings for the engineering industry. It could well be that 'Rolls Royce' have now taken this company over . . or they may have put a totally different company into the 'Vickers Michell Bearings' building. Either way, the earliest/oldest date they can have been there (Rolls Royce) 'must be' only late 90s.

That is, if that is the one you mean, and not the Rolls Royce building I first mentioned, further west near the tip, that has been there since 1986!!!

Bet you're glad you asked!

·
23,189 Posts
Yes, that is (was) the Michell Bearings building, and they were there until the LATE 1990's (at least the NAME was still there). Used to do a lot of business with them too! (but not after about 1989)

1 - 20 of 830 Posts