Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Thought we could continue this here on the Skybar . .

You may not have met me, as I knew them all as "friends of a friend". The names though included:

Economic Development - Chris Hammer.

Graphics - (a lot of them, including) Gregg King, Judith Riches, David Card.
NH,

Know Gregg and Dave very well, though havn't seen them since Gregg retired and Dave moved down south. Steve Urwin is a good friend and ex colleague.

GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Great photo GBDT, love the icicles.
Thanks for the comments re the photo, but I ahve to admit it's not one of mine! It was taken by one of my technicians Steve Urwin, so he should get all the plaudits. By the time I got into work that day most of the icicles had melted!

GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I used to work a little way down the office from Steve Urwin, nice guy. I probably know GBDT in that case, if he's been there for the past decade or so.
I was there for 31 years so hopefully I left an impression somewhere! Was Steve's manager until I escaped last year. Now gor to work out who AngeroftheNorth is???

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oldest pub in Newcastle

Are we talking about oldest public house or oldest licenced premises?
If it's the latter then would Balmbras be considered? It gets a mention in the Blaydon Races (1862 on a summer afternoon, etc). I am assuming that being a music hall in those days that it would be selling drinks.

Just a thought,
Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Producing some kind of legit graffiti space in key areas on the metro that would appease writers is something I don't think local councillors and the media wouldn't be accepting of. Regardless if it saved a bit of money and people didn't mind too much. It'll really take group of people and authorities to put some weight behind any project to get anything to see the light of day.
Are they doing some legal graffiti next to the Sage Gateshead? There's a lane running from the back of the Sage (next to the stairs/lift to the upper car park) to Gateshead College. Looks official. Took some photo's today.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Damage to the Sage Gateshead

Have been unable to find the thread that contained a query about 'vandalism to the roof of the Sage'. I did reply that it was due to snow damage not vandalism. Just to let you know that the roof is to be repaired in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
From the Which website

Proving responsibility for a fault

I bought a new television four months ago which has now developed a serious problem. I took it back to the shop and they’ve said I must have done something to cause the problem, and won’t do anything about it unless I could prove the fault was there when I bought it. Is this true?

The retailer is wrong; if something proves to be faulty within the first six months from when you buy it, the law assumes it was faulty at the date of purchase and the onus will be on the trader to show that actually you were at fault, for example, by dropping or failing to properly maintain the item.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Sad news, a very dedicated person, and a personal friend of 'Mrs H' . . .

Tributes flood in for city union boss Kenny Bell
by Adrian Pearson, Evening Chronicle, August 16th 2011

Kenny Bell

:: To leave a tribute to Kenny Bell, click here

A CHAMPION of Tyneside workers has died after a career spent leading the fight for better rights and wages.

A stalwart of the trade union cause, Kenny Bell will be remembered by many for his tireless battle for workers’ rights.
A very sad day. Knew Kenny from my time at Newcastle. Although we had no direct dealings together he knew me as a member of staff and would always have a quick word or just say hello. Bumped into him a few months ago at the Sage, still smiling as always. Didn't find out until later that he was suffering from cancer. Although he knew he didn't have much time left he was still trying to sort out other peoples problems! He will be sorely missed.

GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Bit of personal news - I've just landed a job down in London, so I'll be moving down there pretty soon. It's with a really exciting practice so I'm hugely lucky to have got a job like this especially with the job market in architecture being as it is.

I'll still be on here from time to time to whinge about things though you'll all be overjoyed to hear! ;)
Congratulations Anger. Well done.
With the magic of the internet you can be anywhere in the world but still add your threepennerth! :lol:

Hope it works out well for you.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have 'happy memories' of the magnificent pork pies that used to be made by the Belvedere Butchers in Whitley Bay - lovely plate pies, accompanied by some garden peas, delicious, light pastry and so spicy. Indeed I have never had a better pork pie since the Belvedere Butchers closed.
Stop this thread now!!!
I've just started a diet today :-(
First day at work for 3 months and my work trousers are too tight!
Too much beer and food, and no exercise :eek:hno:

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
First time poster (long time reader).

I'm sure I've seen something on this site about pubs near metro stations but cannot seem to find it - can anyone advise where it is?:cheers:
It's on the Skybar - for off topic, etc thread. It's on the second page post 5431 - or close to it. It is the current latest post on this topic, you might have to scroll down a few pages to find the start. Unless NH or Steve Ellwood OR Newcastle Pubs know a shortcut!

Cheers and welcome to the forum. It took me ages to do my first post but just reached my 750 milestone today! :nuts:

GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Sad to report that Dave's wife passed at the weekend after a long illness. Mrs NP has spoken with him and reports he's 'ok' [in the circumstances].

If anyone wants to pay respects PM me and I'll let you know arrangements [and probably post here].

I suspect Dave has had a substantial percentage of SSC through the doors.
Only started going there after he retired, but still sad news.

Actually went there for a trim on Tuesday morning! Sign said that it was closed due to 'a bereavement'.

Cheers and condolences,
GBDT

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
From my understanding they are made up from a collection of pictures, so semi CGI, semi pictures. They take pictures from a camera that is mounted below a helicopter. Of course some cities have reservations about having private helicopters going around the city for a sustained period of time, so a lot of cities (including high profile ones) have refused or are reluctant to allow their city mapped as of yet.
Newcastle doesn't, or didn't have when I worked there, a problem with planes or helicopters taking aerial photography. I used to commission them for the planning department to take regular photos of important sites, or just one off images of particular sites. All the companies we used had approval from the airport authorities, etc so that they didn't cause any problems with any flights.

Cheers
GBDT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts