Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 458 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
Maybe we should invite them to decorate the Tyne Bridge too, eh BigLebowski?

For a pen picture of the "artist" responsible for the FECH tag take a look @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...art-career-gets-the-brush-off-72703-20329240/

The "artists" latest run in with Northumbria Police and the subsequent Court Appearance was also covered in the Evening Chronicle edition on 19 February 2010 (not included online). Evidently he has changed his tags to LG and GRIM. On this occasion he spray painted a garage wall as well as a car and van standing outside. Additionally he spray painted the outside of someone's house causing the home owner to spend £200 to clean the paint off.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
What are your opinions about places in Newcastle and particularly North Tyneside being referred to as being in Northumberland?

Recently, on TV and radio I have heard places like Wallsend and Whitley Bay being said to be in Northumberland and even the city of Newcastle itself to be within Northumberland. Also lots of websites will list Newcastle in Northumberland.

Its like North Tyneside doesn't exist sometimes lol.
I know quite a few Whitley Bay residents who use Northumberland within their postal address, evidently the Post Office do not mind provided the correct Post Code is used. However that emphasises that some residents of North Tyneside still consider they live in Northumberland.

Mind I often think that there are merits for NT merging with Northumberland County Council much as Blyth Valley did

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
A small townscape thing rather than big buildings - the City Council have just resurfaced one of the last remaining cobbled lanes in the city centre with tarmac. (The short one by the side of St James' Park opposite the Strawberry.) Which seems a shame. Anyone know if there's some inevitable reason why they have to go (cost? disability access?), or whether it's just that nobody values that kind of quirky remnant of the past?
That's a shame -anyone know what the Lane is called - is it just a continuation of Strawberry Lane?

If my memory is correct wasn't an old woman murdered in that lane, and remains unsolved?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
A small townscape thing rather than big buildings - the City Council have just resurfaced one of the last remaining cobbled lanes in the city centre with tarmac. (The short one by the side of St James' Park opposite the Strawberry.) Which seems a shame. Anyone know if there's some inevitable reason why they have to go (cost? disability access?), or whether it's just that nobody values that kind of quirky remnant of the past?
Just been reading through the Leazes Conservation Area Character Statement
http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/regen/plantrans/conservation/Leazes_CA_CS.pdf which makes the comment:

The rear lane retains the original cobbled surface but it is in poor condition.It has intermittent peak pedestrian flow associated with sports fixtures at the stadium

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
Oddly, the page after that actually has a photo of it, captioned "Back lane separating St James Park and St James Street - good retention of original floorscape." I wonder if this was someone getting over-enthusiastic about repairing potholes, and not checking the conservation area angle. (They're relaying a substantial part of Leazes Park Road, so this may just have seemed like a little job to fit in while the equipment was there...)
There is a short section of cobbled back lane at the rear of The Ship in the Lower Ouseburn Valley which a while ago had a section dug up for utility repairs. Promises made that the original cobles in the section would be made good. Guess what?, it wasn't and a piece of tarmac was shovelled in instead. Perhaps no one has the skills to repair cobbles these days?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
Just realised I had this shot taken in 2001

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
That's a shame -anyone know what the Lane is called - is it just a continuation of Strawberry Lane?

If my memory is correct wasn't an old woman murdered in that lane, and remains unsolved?
Just found this piece that appeared in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle on 29th April 2003:

The 1973 killing of Mary Ann Mckay, 80, known locally as Old Polly, is one police want to look at in view of developments in forensic techniques.

Mrs Mckay was battered to death on June 18, shortly after 4pm, near her home in St James's Terrace, Newcastle.

Her body was found in a cobbled back lane behind the east stand of St James's Park.

She had been stabbed in the face in and had also received blows to the head.

In spite of a massive police hunt, the crime remained unsolved.

The victim was described as a quiet, pleasant woman, and kind-hearted to everyone.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
Rather unusual Guided Walk this coming Wednesday evening, heading East out of the City Centre:

Wednesday 4 May 7.00pm – Blue to the Biscuit

Walk over a new bridge across the old Pandon Burn looking at the new Northumbria University buildings and a popular wash-house, finishing at an unusual setting for an art gallery. Meet at the Laing Art Gallery. Finish at the Biscuit Factory.

City Guide Walks @ http://newcastlecityguides.org.uk/guide/?page_id=858

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
Newcastle City Guides next walk is this coming Sunday:

Sunday 8 May 2.30pm – Whickham – Roundheads, Rectors and Rowers

Covering many of the places of historic and architectural interest in this picturesque village. Meet and finish at Church Green

·
Part Time Contributor
43,804 Posts
I couldn't care any less to be honest, they might be able to know where I am but they don't know what I'm doing. To be honest in this day and age it wouldn't take much for anyone with any sort of power to know where I am with the amount of CCTV, where I use my bank card, etc.
Same system is used by Insurance Company's who allow policies to younger drivers on the basis that they don't drive after 23.00.

1 - 20 of 458 Posts