Skyscraper City Forum banner
6361 - 6380 of 6405 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I think the decision to host a statue says something of the aspirations and values of the society that venerates it. Newcastle generally have statues to creative and entrepreneurial industrialists, and the focus of the statues is not about conquest or political domination (Rhodes, Cromwell etc), but of regional industry or significance.

It is important that we all talk about it, and realise these venerated people can be both heroes and deeply flawed human beings in their own right. It is unthinkable not to have a statue of Winston Churchill, but then to resolve what he said about India with the millions of British people with Indian heritage is not straightforward.

Britain needs to come to terms with its Colonial past. I think we have awkwardly avoided the subject and stepped back while the world focusses more on the genocides of the 20th century instead. But it is also really critical as a society we do not let events of the States to create an 'us and them' feeling because anyone that is an economic player of any kind in Britain, or any other country in the world really, is profiting on the subjugation and terrors of people from the past.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Much like Gladstone's involvement in demanding recompense for the Abolition bill- Politicians of the past are basically getting judged on the sins of their fathers.

It is an important note in history that the men that enabled recompense to slave owners, did so because they could afford to do so and needed to, to avoid civil war in the colonies.

If you'd like to imagine what it would have been like if they hadn't paid off slave owners, take a look at the American Civil War.

This is why statues should not be judged in the Court of Public Opinion, but by a judgement based upon historical knowledge.

·
Banned
2 Posts
ALPHABETICAL SUBJECT INDEX - Links to Factual Posts on this Forum . . .

Last Updated - 14/03/2020.
(NB - This Index is no longer being updated w.e.f the date shown)

- A Question . . . Can you always easily find a subject or individual topic that you know has been discussed on our forum?

2 - The Newcastle Forum of Skyscraper City has now built up a very large archive of facts about Newcastle and the North East - Photos, Maps & Plans, Detailed Factual Information, etc.

However, where exactly is all that information when you need it? .Well, it is 'somewhere' on one of the many forum threads of course, but which thread is it on, and whereabouts on that (perhaps very long) thread, can it be found?

3 - The way our forum has naturally evolved since it started in October 2009, we appear to have have developed SEVEN 'broad types' (categories) of thread on the forum. Those seven categories are:

1 - Sticky Threads.
2 - Area Developments Threads.
3 - Historical Information & Reference Threads.
4 - Project Threads.
5 - General 'Subject-Based' Discussion Threads.
6 - Pre-Forum / Old Style Threads.
7 - Other Threads, not 'fully' in any of the above specific categories.

Each thread on our forum is listed in one of the 7 categories in this index under T for threads - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=59321221&postcount=21
and is also listed alphabetically under the appropriate letter for it's own 'Thread (subject) Title'.

4 - The BULK of this index, though, is made up of LINKS direct to specific 'individual posts' from within the various threads, where those posts contain important salient facts that will be of use in the future, for researchers and other interested parties. Of course, we already have the “Search Facility” to use to find subjects and facts on the forum, on any thread, but that often gives you such a large selection of posts to look through. Also (in order to work properly for you) it relies on the post you are looking for having used the same words and terms that you have chosen to search for, which may not always be the case.

5 - So, now we have this ALPHABETICAL SUBJECT INDEX which you can use to quickly take you directly to an INDIVIDUAL POST on the subject or topic that you are looking for. Just go to the 'subject' you want to find in the alphabetical Index, and CLICK on one of the links. Easy!! Remember, if there are a series of 'sequential posts' on a given subject, then the Index will list the link to the MAIN post and when you follow the link, click the 'Hyperlink' for the thread at the top right corner to open up the full thread. This will lead you to the rest of any relevant posts. Alternatively (if you do not want to go directly to a 'specific single post') all of the forum THREADS are also individually listed in the Index, alphabetically under each thread title (or under "T" for Threads) so you can simply go to the START of the thread itself (via it's link in the Index) instead of an individual post, and then do your own searching on the thread when you get there.

6 - This Index will thus be ideal, when you are using the forum to research particular specific issues, topics, or subjects. It has taken quite a while to build up the list of subjects, places and issues (or "facts, photos and information" as I described it at point 2 above) from the content of our many threads. But, as far as I can establish it, it is now 100% populated. Please let me know if you are aware of any other factual information on the forum, that is currently NOT linked!

7 - There are direct links in the Index to all (that I can find) of the 'permanent evidenced facts and information' that is recorded on our forum, which has hitherto been hidden away amongst the large volume of discussions that we have had on here. With the initial compilation & setting-up stage now completed, the Index should be simple enough to maintain and update in the future.

8 - The Index will be UPDATED WEEKLY, with the date noted at the top of this page in RED.

9 - SO, now just think of a subject that you would like to look up - and give it a try! To go directly to subjects listed under a specific letter, CLICK the appropriate "letter link" below (in "The Key") or simply SCROLL DOWN to view ALL subjects listed under ALL letters.

KEY - TO EACH INDIVIDUAL LETTER PAGE . . .

If you are interested in buying an online check and stripe clothes then cress pk give you the best clothes so login to the link "Stripe & check shirts - THE CRESS"

·
King of Bernicia
1,413 Posts
Statue stuff- there's an awful lot of dodgy information floating around about this. Its being reported all over the media that this was some kind of antifa hit list and they were going to try to blow up the monument any day.... where it was a crowd sourced list and before the moderators had a look at it, idiots had added all and sundry.
I'm told by someone who was at the BLM protest one of the speakers even said something to the effect of how compared to some other cities making the news think on how lucky we are in Newcastle that our big central statue is of such a respectable person who did a lot for equal rights.

An odd nerdy question- does anyone know what thinking went into deciding the postcodes around Newcastle?
I notice NE1 is the centre, NE2 the posh north, NE up to 5 the west end, then up to 8 the east end, 9 to 11 is Gateshead, 12 and 13 in the very north of the city....and then 14 just doesn't exist.
I'm trying to see some logic in this but not quite getting it.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Statue stuff- there's an awful lot of dodgy information floating around about this. Its being reported all over the media that this was some kind of antifa hit list and they were going to try to blow up the monument any day.... where it was a crowd sourced list and before the moderators had a look at it, idiots had added all and sundry.
I'm told by someone who was at the BLM protest one of the speakers even said something to the effect of how compared to some other cities making the news think on how lucky we are in Newcastle that our big central statue is of such a respectable person who did a lot for equal rights.

An odd nerdy question- does anyone know what thinking went into deciding the postcodes around Newcastle?
I notice NE1 is the centre, NE2 the posh north, NE up to 5 the west end, then up to 8 the east end, 9 to 11 is Gateshead, 12 and 13 in the very north of the city....and then 14 just doesn't exist.
I'm trying to see some logic in this but not quite getting it.
NE8 is Gateshead.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The postcode areas were based on a previous division of the the region pesumably devised by the Post Office. I grew up in Gateshead in the 40s and 50s and our coreect postal address was always "Gateshead 8"..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have just heard the sad news of the passing of David Lovie. He was the conservation officer at Newcastle City Council during my time there. Others may know of him as the author of many books about Newcastle and Grainger Town.

GBDT

6361 - 6380 of 6405 Posts