SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
30,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem with discussing skyscrapers is that they come in many forms and shapes. To deal with this, I thought it was a nice idea to come up with new names for different type of tall buildings. This threats is to distinguish these shapes. I'll kick this one off

Myscraper
- A skyscraper built for one person or one family

example: Antilia, Mymbai

·
Cotton
9,225 Posts
How to call buildings with finished exterior and nohing inside, which have never been occupied?

·
Administrator
30,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Ghostscraper has been used for empty skyscrapers. here is blogpost on these.

Those standing empty and squatter are sometimes referred to as Slumscrapers. Here is an article about a case in Venezuela.

Here is another visual definition of the Slumscraper, meaning large walls of dense buildings.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ Except for an extremely weak skyscraper which may collapse at any moment, like the Slaughterhotel or a skyscraper which is sinking into the ground like the South Padre Island Ocean Tower :badnews:

·
Cotton
9,225 Posts
Skyline gap - an empty space between two skyscrapers that makes all the skyline look incomplete.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What would be the name of two skyscrapers connected by a bridge? I know the bridge itself is called a "skyway" but could there be an actual name for the connected buildings? Would they still be defined as "twin towers"? I came up with "combi-scrapers" and "uni-scrapers" but they don't immediately remind me of buildings linked by a bridge. The inspiration for my question occurred after discovering a wikimedia page with the title:

"Towers leaned against a wall by means of a bridge"

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Towers_leaned_against_a_wall_by_means_of_a_bridge

They seem to have had a bit of trouble finding a name for these medieval versions. So did I, as a matter of fact. In the end all I could think of was "Towers leaned against a wall by means of a bridge".

·
Real Horrorshow
23,399 Posts
^^ Except for an extremely weak skyscraper which may collapse at any moment, like the Slaughterhotel
More baseless rumors. :eek:hno: Is this how you make decisions? Do you just believe anything you're told with no true evidence whatsoever? Its reinforced concrete, not to mention the triangle is one of the strongest architectural shapes possible. It's not going to collapse in our lifetimes, nor in the future generations lifetimes. :eek:hno:

·
Real Horrorshow
23,399 Posts
What would be the name of two skyscrapers connected by a bridge? I know the bridge itself is called a "skyway" but could there be an actual name for the connected buildings? Would they still be defined as "twin towers"? .
I'd say the Petronas and Federation buildings are twins.

·
122,077 Posts

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
More baseless rumors. :eek:hno: Is this how you make decisions? Do you just believe anything you're told with no true evidence whatsoever? Its reinforced concrete, not to mention the triangle is one of the strongest architectural shapes possible. It's not going to collapse in our lifetimes, nor in the future generations lifetimes. :eek:hno:
The concrete used in its construction is of extremely poor quality. Nearly all web pages where the Slaughterhotel is mentioned report that. Also, the European Commision sent inspectors into the hotel, who reported extremely substandard quality of the concrete and problems with the elevator shafts. But a pic is worth a thousand words and you want hard evidence, so I'll give you the hard evidence you seek. I'm sure you have seen many pics of the Slaughterhotel from far away, but did you see close up pics from before they clad it?

There is a concrete shell of an unfinished highrise close to where I live that has been exposed to the elements for many years, yet it is no where near as damaged as the Slaughterhotel, in fact, apart from the rebar on top of it, it appears undamaged and I walk by it at least once a month. On the other hand you can see huge structural damage on the Slaughterhotel :eek:hno:

Btw, a bit more on topic remark, how should we call such a skyscraper? Crumblescraper? :dunno:

·
Real Horrorshow
23,399 Posts
I've never once said the concrete was a high quality mix or that construction was good, But the concrete is reinforced and built in an extremely strong shape. And it mostly looks dirty to me besides a few chips...
The weird thing is, that the concrete used for some newer highrises (Mansudae Complex built in 2011) in North Korea looks MUCH worse than the concrete used for the Ryugyong.

After reinforcement that took a year (there are pictures of this) and underway construction, it can no longer be classified as a "ghostscraper"

These are ghostscrapers:

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ The shape isn't that superbly strong. Yes, it is strong against wind, but weak against earthquakes or planes. The concrete is extremely weak, which sooner or later will be fatal to the tower. Concrete quality is vital to a building's structural integrity and the Slaughterhotel's concrete might just be unable to support the weight of itself :eek:hno:

As to dirt, yes, there is dirt. But there are also many fractures, deformations, and around windows or exposed floor slabs we can also see crumbled concrete. None of this can be seen on the building concrete shell near to where I live which I mentioned before. The red lines in the first pic show the deformations. Orascom is merely putting glass on it, it has been noted on many web pages that it would take 2 billion dollars to even partially make the structure sufficiently strong (partially, because the inspectors from the EU noted that the structure is irreparable). Neither Orascom, nor North Korea have those 2 billions :eek:hno:

I have no problem believing that safety in buildings in North Korea degraded even further in the last years, so it is no surprise for me that there are buildings in even worse conditions over there. Rumor is, though it's only rumor, that much of the concrete in the Slaughterhotel might not even be reinforced.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts