SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
25,804 Posts
West End needs to be split into two areas. People get annoyed about highrises destroying the character of west ends eclectic mix of people. The thing is, is that all of the highrises are to occur where there are no/few character housing or structures in the Kurilpa Point and Riverside areas. This will ensure that all the 'yuppies' would stick to these areas more.

If they are worried about these 'yuppies' taking over West End, there is more chance if nothing gets built as they will take over the current housing and rennovate.

In other words I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
I think you could build up to 15 storeys along the river, and also near South Brisbane train station. Any higher, I'd rather see added to buildings in the City.

I'd also like to see more build up around Boundary Street, the old Tristams factory has been well developed, but there are still some old cold stores that need to go and be replaced by something a lot better. I was in West End last week, and what they have done with the Melbourne Hotel site looks great.

I think there are a few "social" issues in the area as well. That girl that was killed last week, the so-called Facebook murder, the neighbours heard the screams, and ignored them because "they were normal sounds on the street". The pub in the middle of Boundary street (Boundary Hotel) causes a bit of trouble too, the Pavillion Bar is OK, but the rest of it looks like it belongs in the 70's, along with the drunk customers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think they should just let the city expand, first into fortitude valley and then (decades later) into Newfarm. West End needs to be dealt with by fixing up its problems, not building it up.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am for it, the areas earmarked for most of the development is old industrial sites which are an eyesore anyway. I bet the business owners of West End won't be too disturbed about the idea. I would like to see certain areas of West End keep their character though and not just build concrete boxes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think some people here are deluded that building up add real density and life. just look at Kangaroo Point for example where there is highrise. Mostly the place (particularly around Dockside) is pretty devoid of life at street level. West End needs good lowrise medium density development and not highrise. same can be said for the Valley and New Farm.

·
7,972 Posts
The Kurilpa Structure Plan specifies that buildings along certain key roads and lanes must have active street frontages, so you won't see what has happened at KP.

·
25,804 Posts
I think some people here are deluded that building up add real density and life. just look at Kangaroo Point for example where there is highrise. Mostly the place (particularly around Dockside) is pretty devoid of life at street level. West End needs good lowrise medium density development and not highrise. same can be said for the Valley and New Farm.
You can have the same problem with low and mid rise. Life doesn't come from density only but how it interacts with the street. KP also has the issue of the Story Bridge slicing it in two which doesn't help at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Kurilpa Structure Plan specifies that buildings along certain key roads and lanes must have active street frontages, so you won't see what has happened at KP.
not necessarily.

all the town plan can do is insist there is ground floor retail. that dosn't automatically make for an active street front.

what if there aren't enough people around to support cafes and restaurants? then the ground floor retail will end up being professional offices and they don't make for "active streetfronts".

it can't be argued that the problem can be fixed by greater density either - kangaroo pt has a huge amount of density yet that area is not crying out for more retail at all. in fact much of the existing retail at dockside is still struggling.

·
Registered
733 Posts
not necessarily.

all the town plan can do is insist there is ground floor retail. that dosn't automatically make for an active street front.

what if there aren't enough people around to support cafes and restaurants? then the ground floor retail will end up being professional offices and they don't make for "active streetfronts".

This is very true. Just look at the so-called active st frontages along Commercial Rd Newstead. It has taken a few years for some of the spaces to become rented, and once that finally happened what kind of business went in there? Furniture shops and bike shops.

·
25,804 Posts
Remember Newstead doesn't have the pulling power that this area does. It is very dangerous to compare two completely different areas.

Also Newstead doesn't at the moment get 20-30st towers for its density.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Remember Newstead doesn't have the pulling power that this area does. It is very dangerous to compare two completely different areas.

Also Newstead doesn't at the moment get 20-30st towers for its density.
Doesn't it? I would have thought it had more... and also Newstead is getting 20-30 stories at Riverpark which is going to happen sooner than it will at West End.

·
25,804 Posts
West End is renowned moreso than Newstead for cafe's and restaurants as well as shopping. it also has and will continue to have a significantly higher population.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I support high-rise in areas of West End where light industry and warehouses rule - but not in the parts where where 'Queenslander' homes predominate.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Slightly off topic but does anybody know when theyre going to get rid of the expo stick in South Bank, its shocking and will never become the eiffel tower of Brisbane.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
The expo stick? Do you mean the Skyneedle?

If so, then not anytime soon as Stefan is spending a decent amount of money on it. He is repairing it after a fire damaged it back a couple of years ago.

·
217 Posts
I actually had to go up inside the Sky Needle early this year.
Stefan was thinking of spending millions of dollars taking it down sprucing it up and putting it back up with high tech lighting for the 20th anniversary of expo.
Never heard any more after I climbed up its bazillion ladder steps to the top though.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
The expo stick? Do you mean the Skyneedle?

If so, then not anytime soon as Stefan is spending a decent amount of money on it. He is repairing it after a fire damaged it back a couple of years ago.
I like that tower. Charming in a way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts