SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The Slovenian railways have started running trains again to Villa Opicina in Italy. This is good news, but what I don't understand is the schedule. The trains don't connect in Sezana with the trains from Ljubljana, which is quite puzzling. Is there a particular reason for this? As it is now these trains are not very usefull.

·
Islander
23,513 Posts
^^
The Slovenian railways have started running trains again to Villa Opicina in Italy. This is good news, but what I don't understand is the schedule. The trains don't connect in Sezana with the trains from Ljubljana, which is quite puzzling. Is there a particular reason for this? As it is now these trains are not very usefull.
If you were searching for a connection on DB's website, it doesn't show it for some reason. Try just Sezana-Ljubljana and you'll find it 1 minute after the train arrives from Villa Opicina to Sežana. :) (however, there's no connecting train for Nova Gorica)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
^^ Don't know but i have another question about that. You know if there are directly connections from italy to lubjana?
I found out that it's a glitch in the on line time table. I've done some research and found out what is going on.

Officially there are two trains daily ljubljana - Villa Opicinia. I have now found the Slovenian Railways' printed timetable and it does show them:
http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/uploads...7_ljubljana_pivka_ilirska_bistrica_sezana.pdf

However, the rolling stock SZ uses on Ljubljana - Sezana can't enter Italy any more. (It could in the past...). So for the Sezana - Villa Opicina part they use a different train, and everyone transfers in Sezana. Because they didn't change the timetable this transfer is officially scheduled at one minute, which is why it doesn't show up on www.bahn.de. And this even though SZ refers to this site for international trips...

·
Islander
23,513 Posts
However, the rolling stock SZ uses on Ljubljana - Sezana can't enter Italy any more. (It could in the past...). Do for the Sezana - Villa Opicina part they use a different train, and everyone transfers in Sezana.
That's right. On Ljubljana-Sežana you take a Desiro, on Sežana-Opicina there's a locomotive and a carriage. See this post.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Problem with train connections between Italy and Slovenia is Trenitalia and probably politics so there is no direct train connections for few years now, which is sad. Especially since both country's use same 3kV DC electrification.

·
11,698 Posts
Main railway Ljubljana - Divača is closed as most of electric catenary is destroyed. There was(actually still is) ice in thickness up to 5 cm (7 kg per meter of one wire). In that area almost all transmission power lines are broken or destroyed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
^^

Those icy scenes on photos and videos, about the scale of damages in Slovenia is unbelivable! Like beyond the arctic circle..

281 - 300 of 459 Posts