SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Setting other people's houses on fire?? What kind of a renovation is that?
Well.. this is the price we pay for not having efficient urban planning.

·
Banned
195 Posts
dave_chanh said:
Setting other people's houses on fire?? What kind of a renovation is that?
Well.. this is the price we pay for not having efficient urban planning.
Were you referring to my reply? If so, I wasn't suggesting we burn their houses. As in the case of Paris, property was actually expropriated....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
In truth , we have to admit that there are many slums in Bkk. Slum causes many problems such as criminal , life quality. We can't get rid of them because there are
many people live there ans ther are poverty people too. I've heard that this goverment will build a low cost home/flat instead of those slum. Hope it would be true
not just a dream.

·
My Chemical Romance
93 Posts
It's not easy to makes BKK or other huge cities in the developing countries or even in developed countries get rid of slums.

Some causes may built from not appropriate urban planning of BKK or many people from every regions and directions move into BKK without preparation.

As we know this is not new problems and have been a long period of time. I believe these problems will be solve soon but that need to put the right man in the right job and give them a time. ;)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
iahcgnoht said:
2 years ago there're a great fire blast over the whole resettlement community within a minutes and now the site is back on reconstruction gradually

Before FIRE

AND NOW

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Living off the waste.

The Onnuj Street garbage mountain in Bangkok provides income for the city's slum dwellers who sort and sell the trash.
Photo credit: Sanitsuda Ekachai

With growing wealth, Bangkok is generating more solid waste and has outstripped the capacity of its daily collection services. The city's treatment plants are overwhelmed with more than 4,000 tons of solid waste each day; the city's largest dumpsite at Onnuj receives 2,000 tons daily, five times the capacity of its incinerator, according to environmental journalist Sanitsuda Ekachai's 1994 book Seeds of Hope. The rest is left in the open to decompose near the homes of about 140 families.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the main danger is the growing discharge of hazardous waste, most of it from industry and hospitals. In 1994, Thailand's industrial plants churned out an estimated 360,000 tons of hazardous waste, mainly heavy metal sludges and solids (30%) and acidic wastes (29%). The concentration of three-quarters of these factories close to Bangkok's dense population intensifies the dangers of exposure to toxins. The World Bank has estimated that for 1991, infectious waste from hospitals totaled nearly 76,000 tons. In 1995, Thailand had only one hazardous waste treatment facility, which alone could not handle the volume of waste produced.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It's sad to see pitiful living conditions of those slum dwellers.
I think the solution to this problem is more complex than just razing the whole communities aground and building new public housing estates. Often, it's not only a matter of physical transformation, we're dealing with people, social impact, displacement of communities.

I think any redevelopment has to be a gradual process. Government must lead the way.. setting good examples.
The first step is improving basic sanitation, then building social capitals (schools, libraries, hospitals etc) - which will 'empower' the local community to try to help themselves. Citizens must be informed of any redevelopment process
Then we should involve the community in the planning process, setting vision.. ensure a sense of ownership of whatever will be built in the end.

FYI here's an interesing article on Kampung improvement program in Jakarta (Kampung = Malay word which refers to an informal settlement, similar to slum). This program had been quite successful. I think some of the Kampung improvement initiatives could be applied to Bangkok:

http://wwwistp.murdoch.edu.au/publications/e_public/Case Studies_Asia/kip/kip.htm

·
Liberty, Equality, Frate
121,819 Posts

I found a research in 2002 by Chala's architecher student who studied in master

degree.

He told that slum problem in Thailand very hard to solve because of when the

government needs to move them. The slum community will againts by provide

many conditions to the government. Such as, The new place must near the

slum, The new rent must same the last price.

And now, All slum in Thailand very strong because of they are collect all member

to a community in that area. So you can see all slum in Thailand calls Chumchon

( ชุมชน ) but they do not call the slum. ( สลัม )

The good example of case study is Dindang slum. The Korean company would like

to building the new condominiums and renew Dindang area in 1999. But the poor people

who lives in Dindang did not want to move. In 2004, They had a condition to Bangkok's

goverment for the new renting.

To day the project stop and Korean company gone...............

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
^^^In a democratic country everyone enjoy equal rights.. even slum dwellers. ;) But yeh some slum dwellers can be a pain in the bum like people who own their home and think they own everything.
Some just want it all, but they can't have it all. A compromise is you win some you lose some :)

Speaking of Din Daeng, I remember there's a lot of 4-5 storey flats built by National Housing Authority in the late 1970s. From memory those flats are very run down and there were talks of rebuilding them. I wonder if it's the same project which attracted interests from the Korean construction company?

·
Banned
195 Posts
^ I understand the democratic principle, yet, slum dwellers often illegally trespass.......that is a pain in the bum

ถ้าไม่พายก็อย่าเอาเท้าราน้ำ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts