Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2114 Posts

·
voyager
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is being constructed at The Strip of SM Megamall. I think construction has been going on for more than a month already. The 2nd Floor of the department store has already been opened about 2 weeks ago after being renovated since late february/early march(?). Now, they it's the first floor's (dept. store) turn to be renovated. The area has been enclosed since last week.

I hate how they narrowed Julia Vargas Ave. into just 2 lanes at each direction due to the construction going on. Now traffic jam is worse than before during rush hours and I have to deal with this almost everyday! :eek:hno:

·
787 Posts
Hi

There's this renovation going on in SM megamall. Has anyone seen what will be built at the megastrip/bridgeway part?

Thanks! :)
I noticed that too. Meron mga big columns na nilalagay....me thinks, gagawa sila ng isang malaking outdoor open /park area tapos yung mga restaurant sa megastrip will move up sa 2nd floor. :D Yung daanan sa baba eh magiging parang underpass na lang.

·
voyager
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

There's this renovation going on in SM megamall. Has anyone seen what will be built at the megastrip/bridgeway part?

Thanks! :)
I'll be at megamall tomorrow. I'm reposting pics of the Megastrip area. The steel columns weren't visible yet at that time when I took these pics. Anyway, I'll get new shots tomorrow for some updates.

·
11,186 Posts
I noticed that too. Meron mga big columns na nilalagay....me thinks, gagawa sila ng isang malaking outdoor open /park area tapos yung mga restaurant sa megastrip will move up sa 2nd floor. :D Yung daanan sa baba eh magiging parang underpass na lang.
So if your hunch is right, then this will indeed be a Mega-renovation for Megamall's Megastrip, I hope it will be Mega-successful and Mega-fast so we could experience the new look Mega-sooner. :D Whew, I'm Mega-excited already. :colgate:

·
voyager
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if your hunch is right, then this will indeed be a Mega-renovation for Megamall's Megastrip, I hope it will be Mega-successful and Mega-fast so we could experience the new look Mega-sooner. :D Whew, I'm Mega-excited already. :colgate:
Got these pics just this afternoon. The columns' rebars look massive. It looks like they're planning to build multiple floors since it's as big as the existing columns that are supporting the current overpass that connects Buildings A & B from 2nd floor to 5th floor.

·
sanmig
68 Posts
SM Megamall - New Upper Levels to be constructed!

Got these pics just this afternoon. The columns' rebars look massive. It looks like they're planning to build multiple floors since it's as big as the existing columns that are supporting the current overpass that connects Buildings A & B from 2nd floor to 5th floor.

--- As per BCI Asia, SM Megamall will add 5 more levels to existing 5 level + 1 basement. A super structure will convert SM Megamall, reason why they are building a column post at the mega strip to support to additonal 5 levels. Meaning SM Megmall will rise upto 10 level mall structure...

·
sanmig
68 Posts
SM MEGA MALL - EXPANSION
EDSA corner Julia Vargas Avenue, Ortigas Business District, Mandaluyong City, Philippines

Expansion of a shopping mall by adding five storeys with roof deck, on the existing structure, and a total floor space of 17,500 square meters, to contain:

• boutique/retail shops
• food outlets/kiosks
• sanitary facilities

BCI estimated costs: Undisclosed.

Construction started in March 2007. Construction is expected to end in December 2007.

Source: BCI Asia

·
9,018 Posts
--- As per BCI Asia, SM Megamall will add 5 more levels to existing 5 level + 1 basement. A super structure will convert SM Megamall, reason why they are building a column post at the mega strip to support to additonal 5 levels. Meaning SM Megmall will rise upto 10 level mall structure...
Oh dear God!!!! The existing SM MegaMall is a major cause of traffic over here already, can you imagine what will happen if you nearly double its size? :eek:

·
TheLibotero
13,627 Posts
Oh dear God!!!! The existing SM MegaMall is a major cause of traffic over here already, can you imagine what will happen if you nearly double its size? :eek:
They're adding 5 levels to the center part (elevated walkway) of the mall? Based on what you posted, they're adding 17,500 of floor space to the mall. Just for the sake of comparison, here's a building with 7,000 sqm. of floor space

(visualize that the SM Megamall expansion will be almost thrice its size)

^^ wow! grabe ang SM, malaki na kaya yung annex ng fairview:lol: haha, nakakainis dyan yung one way eh, ang haba ng iikutan
Actually, nakakasurprise yung SM Megamall expansion kasi SM only announced that they'll be expanding the Mall of Asia, SM Fairview, Cebu and Pampanga. Gusto siguro ni Sy maging MEGA talaga ang dating ng SM Megamall. :lol:

·
voyager
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
SM MEGA MALL - EXPANSION
EDSA corner Julia Vargas Avenue, Ortigas Business District, Mandaluyong City, Philippines

Expansion of a shopping mall by adding five storeys with roof deck, on the existing structure, and a total floor space of 17,500 square meters, to contain:

• boutique/retail shops
• food outlets/kiosks
• sanitary facilities

BCI estimated costs: Undisclosed.

Construction started in March 2007. Construction is expected to end in December 2007.

Source: BCI Asia
I think they're only building 5 levels at the Megastrip area and not on the existing superstructure.
Megamall has a GFA of 331,679 m² and adding another 5 levels would almost double the total floor area. Also, the open area at the Megastrip is roughly 50m x 70m, which translates to 3,500m², and 3,500 m² X 5 levels equates to 17,500 m². Therefore expansion is definitely just at the Megastrip area. ;)

·
11,186 Posts
bakit ganun 2 floors lang ng SM megamall department store ang renovated
Kasi nga, read below...

The Mega-Renovation, now two levels of newly redesigned SM Mega Dept. Store is open, first the 2nd level, then the ground level, now the third level is on it's way to a Mega-makeover, to be followed by the basement...

The Mega-Expansion

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Work is on going at the portion facing the San Miguel headquarters and what formerly was the Megastrip. I hope they build something vertical to "break the mold". With its great location, they should build connected towers for offices or a hotel. Does anyone have a rendering of what they plan to build there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Work is on going at the portion facing the San Miguel headquarters and what formerly was the Megastrip. I hope they build something vertical to "break the mold". With its great location, they should build connected towers for offices or a hotel. Does anyone have a rendering of what they plan to build there?
Megamall still looks and feels gigantic to me everytime I go there. Sana gawin nila condo iyung extension nila. Bibili ako dun, hehe.

The steel reinforcements look like they will have a tower built taller than the solid rectangular block like you mentioned:

·
11,186 Posts
Megamall still looks and feels gigantic to me everytime I go there. Sana gawin nila condo iyung extension nila. Bibili ako dun, hehe.

The steel reinforcements look like they will have a tower built taller than the solid rectangular block like you mentioned:
That part is now a level higher than that of the pic. It looks like there'll be a circular atrium in it, something currently not present in Megamall with its boxy forms.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Megamall Picture Flood

This is the first time I went to Megamll and honestly, I wasn't that much impressed and all, but and dami ng tao..
Anyway, this is a lot of pictures so very sorry for the flooding gain...

Sige lang manang... close your eyes

This is just the first batch...

1 - 20 of 2114 Posts