SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Yesterday had some quick business in our oldest 20+ floors building - Academy of Science.
In fact - the building is beautiful inside!!! But I still have not had time to investigate it thoroughly.
It is built in 1953 - 1957. 21 floor, 108 m high. The style - "Stalin barocco" should represent the richness and happyness of proletaries who have taken over the control of state. The building in Riga has also strong influence of national romanticism with numerous Latvian ornaments. National romanticism in Latvia became popular around 1935, when most "users of architecture" started to get a bit bored with too strict forms of Functionalism. Thus - these two styles (Stalin Barocco and National Romanticism) meet in Academy of Science.
Five years later both these ornate styles were gone. State realised that it is too poor to continue this show-off. Started era of possibly cheap construction.

Similar highrises are rare. I know about such in Moscow, Kiiv, Warsav, Bucarest. May be some more places.

My earlier photo. The red star from the top has been removed. For me it seems that something is missing on the top of the building.

Side view. For facade has been used interesting building material, but unfortunately the quality of it has been not too high... Now it is crumbling. Today nobody produces these ceramic tiles. Academy of Sciences use prety similar material from Germany, when repair is badly needed - but that one is a bit different. If proper repair would be done, whole coating of the building would need changing.

Entrance.

Closer view at detail:

Numerous windows inside have glassworks. This is national romanticism.

And one more of interior. I was told that the official rooms are more ornate, this is just something like waiting room.

Hope one day to bring more pictures.

·
always on
4,759 Posts
Ohoh, thanx Gatis, i was really waiting to see more pics of this highrise... I quite like it...stalins sister or something :), it looks very cool from a distance, cant say that about the close up, but still. The similar Highrise in Warsaw looked really cool when i flew to there, not many other highrises surrounded it at that time...

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
I don't like it neither from a distance neither from a close-up. It might have some value from historical point of view but otherwise it looks freaky. I'm generally not a fan of this style and especially highrises.

·
Banned
14,132 Posts
Thank you, Gatis! :)

I remember people asked for more photos of Riga's Academy of Science building recently. You were very sweet to remember and to fulfill the request so soon, and as usual you didn't just plop the pictures in here but gave learned, informative comments to accompany your photos. :eek:kay:

I personally have no problems with the building. In fact, I like it! :cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I guess these photos were not posted in SSC yet
Another photo of Academy of Sciences
June 2004

Some panoramas from 14th floor of this building

Gogola iela, Centre of the city, Ring of Boulevards

Old town, Central market

Reval hotel Latvia, Railway station

Saules akmens and Old town

·
Registered
255 Posts
John said:
Romai, could you tell how did you got up there? ;)
Nothing especial
I just went to the elevator without paying attention to the guard reading newspaper.
The restauration works just started in the 14th floor.
A worker showed me a way (open window) to the terrace for picture taking.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, good work. I always have to explain to the guard why I am there etc. When I wanted to photograph the entrance hall, he did not allow...

Once more I am impressed to see no construction cranes at horizon this summer. I think, may be the only such moment over the last 50 years at least. At this moment there would be some 10 cranes already. In Imanta, around Parkhaus and Vestas Stari I counted 7 of them, there are some 3 in Old Riga, 1 at Centra nams. And could be some more.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
nice building. It is about 3 years younger than its brother in Warsaw ;). I've heard that the Academy is hated in Latvia, that's true???
Anyway We(inhabitants of Warsaw) get into the swing of our Palace and at present it is regarded as symbol of whole city and almost nobody wants to destroy it!!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Gatis said:
No, OlekD, Academy building is not really hated. F.e. heritage inspection considers it to be one of values in city.
I belive people argree with the inspection - because their attitiude is really important. I think a building like the Academy makes Riga more intersting city(at least for me)!!! I know that it is very hard to get used to the symbol of communism, but on the other hand It will pay dividents in the future!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts