Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was born and raised in this town. Downtown sits on top of a 100 foot tall sandstone bluff and The skyline is somewhat dramatic when coming in from the east. Especially when you cross the saline river and then top the levee.

HARRISBURG, ILLINOIS
CURRENT POPULATION: 9,860
PEAK 1930: estimates between 16,000 - 20,000

Summary: The biggest of three Cairo and Vincennes Railroad Coal Mining boomtowns in Saline County. Boasted one of the largest downtown districts outside of Chicago and Springfield, with the second tallest building in Southern Illinois next to the Spivey Building in East St. Louis. This was during the roaring 20's. The City (the whole county really) has been dying a slow death since the 1937 when a massive flood from the Ohio River (just 15 miles east) wiped out a few thousand residents and then a massive downturn in the 1960s - 1980s when US legislation decided High Sulfer coal was useless. Coal mines have been shutting down left and right with only 1 or 2 left in the entire county. The City has been barely maintaining hundreds of gilded age manors located around the old downtown combined with tearing down historical landmarks left and right, with no preservation district to save anything on it's once bustling town square built beautifully on a sandstone bluff, parking lots are quickly becoming the reign and shopping strips are being haphazardly built in the flood plain below the city. In April 2008 another flood took out 71 businesses in the city.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I don't know if I would call that a skyline. I would say there needs to be at least half a dozen buildings over five stories, with at least one or two above ten.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if I would call that a skyline. I would say there needs to be at least half a dozen buildings over five stories, with at least one or two above ten.
Harrisburg has two buildings at 8 stories, two at 4 stories, and about 7 or 8 at 3 stories. The city also has a 503 foot tall TV tower, Two clock towers around 60 feet. which I dare say is pretty impressive for a town of only 9860 people.

(that second picture is too old to tell the tall structures that have been built post 1950.)

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Harrisburg has two buildings at 8 stories, two at 4 stories, and about 7 or 8 at 3 stories. The city also has a 503 foot tall TV tower, Two clock towers around 60 feet. which I dare say is pretty impressive for a town of only 9860 people.

(that second picture is too old to tell the tall structures that have been built post 1950.)
There are thousands of small cities and villages with plenty of buildings under 5 stories and probably hundreds with buildings of ten or more.;)

For example, Houghton, Michigan has less than 7,000 people, yet has a decent skyline (primarily due to Michigan Tech).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mankato, MN has a decent skyline for a city of 31k.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the time

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Jackson definitely gets my vote, great skyline for a city of 31,000. Kudos to Mt. Clemens, too. You can see a skyline when travelling on I-94.

·
6,480 Posts
I guess it depends on what small is relative to. My definition of a small city also includes the urban area and how small it is, and I'd say anything under 250,000 would be "small" by my definition.

Michigan has quite a few small city skylines. Here's a few more...

Battle Creek: ~53,000 (city), ~79,000 (UA)

Roxy2135

Roxy2135

Kalamazoo: ~72,000 (city), ~188,00 (UA)

c.f. mason

Saginaw: ~ (city), ~141,000 (UA)

g.s. george

Traverse City: ~14,500 (city), N/A

Jon-O

1 - 20 of 162 Posts