SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
alot of really good ideas in there! for me, it would be helpful if the lines were drawn onto a map, like a screenshot of google maps, to help visualize where everything would be. might help to be able to see how close some of your stations are together. for instance, northgate aurora IS essentially greenwood and i don't know i would necessarily put 2 stations there.

but cool ideas for sure!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
alot of really good ideas in there! for me, it would be helpful if the lines were drawn onto a map, like a screenshot of google maps, to help visualize where everything would be. might help to be able to see how close some of your stations are together. for instance, northgate aurora IS essentially greenwood and i don't know i would necessarily put 2 stations there.

but cool ideas for sure!
From the comments I have, I would also like to make some comments too.

The Westlake Station is intended to serve two light rail lines, one BRT line, and two streetcar lines, so basically, we would not have to dig deep into the Earth's core.

The Ballard Sub-Line (part of Brown Line) will run from Westlake Station along 5th Ave to Seattle Center then along Denny Way to Elliott Ave/15th Ave to Ballard then along Holman Road to NE 105th/Northgate Way. The two Greenwood stations will be located at NE 105th/Holman and Greenwood, and NE 105th/Northgate and Aurora.

The Seattle streetcar line(s) will begin from the International District station east along Jackson, then north along 23rd Ave, then west along Union, then along Madison (with a branch line on Broadway to Capitol Hill), then along north Boren, then west along Pine to Westlake Station. From there, the streetcar will continue north along Westlake, east along Valley/Fairview, north along Eastlake, and east towards UW.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I like the ideas for ST3.

taiwanesedrummer36, thanks for sharing the plan. It is somewhat hard to read and little confusing because it doesn't show Puget Sound map on it. It would be helpful if you can add it on that map just help many people here like me to get an ideas exactly where these routes are located at when it is hard to read.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, I can't help myself. I have to reproduce some of these ideas in Google Earth.

SoundTransit 3

As a starting point I took all the official ST2 and long range plans I could find on www.soundtransit.org, www.future.soundtransit.org, and the PSRC website, as well as the BRT RapidRide plans on the www.metrokc.gov website. I filled in all the existing and officially planned rail lines (including East Side Rail along the BNSF right of way) as well as all the BRT RapidRide/Swift lines along West Seattle, Aurora, etc (which I believe will become rail eventually.) Also in consideration of official plans, I added a purple outerbelt line along I-405, which under ST2 was a candidate to get BRT (and, I think, rail in the long term.)

My own ideas come in how to configure the purple line. I extended the purple line to West Seattle along the RapidRide line that is planned there, and then to downtown along the route that had been planned for the "green line" monorail plan that fell through in 2005. Also, I added a spur to the airport for those coming from south Everett and Bellevue so that they can take an express train there without having to clog the downtown Seattle transit tunnel.

North:

You can see my routes following Swift and Link, as well as the outerbelt above. It makes sense to use the purple line to connect the two. One thing I don't know about is how to handle Boeing. Should I extend the purple line even farther north to go to Boeing or Mulilteo? There are a lot of jobs there, but not too many people, and in Mukilteo the ferry-goers already have Sounder at their disposal... hmmm...

Central:

The central area. I use the DC Metro as a guide for the spacing and proportions. Not as close-in as New York's, but enough to support density and live without an automobile.

I added a yellow line that goes north from King Street Station along the waterfront (through the new Alaskan Way tunnel of course!) and then follows the route of the failed "green line" monorail to Ballard. But I'm taking my yellow line even farther: to Northgate and then as a route to Bothell and Woodinville. Northgate's officially supposed to become an urban transit hub anyway, and people need to get around that lake! Plus, it makes sense to use it to connect other lines.

Central Seattle (Streetcars & Link) :

I think there must be a way to connect the U-District, Laurelhurst, Wallingford, Fremont, and Ballard to each other as well as to downtown. I propose an orange line. Oh, and we should make sure it connects to a future Sounder Station around the locks (which has actually been proposed). Yay modality! :banana:

Streetcars:

I also included all the officially planned streetcars considered for Everett, Tacoma, and Seattle, as well as their proposed extensions. One line I added has not been proposed officially yet is a line along Madison in Seattle. I think that it makes sense to add a streetcar there since Madison is a major corridor and the city's official long range plan shows that area becoming an urban space more akin to downtown over the next 20-30 years.

East Side:

I put a new light rail "green line" in place from Everett over the new 520 bridge (Curse you politicians for not doing this! Everyone knows it needs to be done!). It then goes south to criss-cross the ST2 East Side Link at the downtown Bellevue station before making its way to Samammish. The red line for East Side Link mirrors that route, doing the same thing going south: Redmond to Tacoma via the I-90 bridge, again criss-crossing in downtown Bellevue.

South:

One area I'm not sure about is Kent/Auburn. I added a "tan line" :) there along the proposed express bus routes to connect them to Renton in the north and Federal Way / Tacoma in the south. Plus, I feel like there needs to be some rail connection to fill that gaping hole between Sounder and Link. But there very well may be a better way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope the Madison neighborhood is more accepting of a streetcar of some sort in the future because in the 80s they were fiercely opposed to putting trolleybus overhead in their neighborhood. Maybe they can get a cable car instead.

Also, nothing for converting the heavily used route 48 bus to something? It would be nice to have at least electric BRT or a streetcar connecting the north-south areas of central Seattle along 23rd.

It would be nice too if we could come up with cool names for the lines. I propose calling the Ballard-Kenmore-Woodinville line the Northshore Line, just because I live around there and Evergreen line for crossing the 520 bridge. etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, nothing for converting the heavily used route 48 bus to something? It would be nice to have at least electric BRT or a streetcar connecting the north-south areas of central Seattle along 23rd.
My map doesn't believe in BRT :) There is no Santa Claus, only real transit.

Actually, I'm not opposed to the idea of a rail line serving that route (I used to live on 17th--it would have been great!), but I just thought my existing lines served all those population centers well enough, albeit with transfers.

BTW in a new version I'm working on, I split the brown line into a "Brown-Phinney Ridge" and "Brown-Aurora" route which eventually merge again. I think that covers the population centers better and also takes care of the Phinney Ridge HCT that the PSRC's Destination 2030 plan calls for. It also serves another piece of the 48.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Here's the new version where I split the brown line into a "Brown-Phinney Ridge" and "Brown-Aurora" route (which eventually merge again to the north.) I think that covers the population centers better and also takes care of the Phinney Ridge HCT that the PSRC's Destination 2030 plan calls for. Ditto on following the orange line's route as shown in the Destination 2030 plan.

I also fixed the U-District streetcar, jam5.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.