SkyscraperCity banner

How many people will partake in next weeks protest?

• 100K - 200K

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 201- 300K

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 301 - 400K

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 401- 500K

• 501 - 600k

• 601 - 700k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 701k+

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • will you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the over / under on the amount of people who will partake in the protest downtown next week

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
they got ~100,000 for the first one, right? so i would expect this one to be roughly 2-3 times larger with all the attention this issue has been receiving.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You know, this is really starting to piss me off. I'm pro-immigration, but we've got to have rules and structure. You can't just show up and start demanding shit. These bullshit protests that plan to "shut down" our largest cities are only pushing me to the other side of the argument.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
You know, this is really starting to piss me off. I'm pro-immigration, but we've got to have rules and structure. You can't just show up and start demanding shit. These bullshit protests that plan to "shut down" our largest cities are only pushing me to the other side of the argument.
Yeah, some people are predicting that this will only backfire, especially with many people being undecided on the issue.

It seems that they are trying to use intimidation, and if we can learn one thing from history: people don't like to be intimidated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
UrbanSophist said:
Yeah, some people are predicting that this will only backfire, especially with many people being undecided on the issue.

It seems that they are trying to use intimidation, and if we can learn one thing from history: people don't like to be intimidated.
What we need are sensible rules, consequences, and enforcement balanced with a process that allows credible, hardworking people to come here and contribute to this nation. Good luck ever achieving that.

Let's just hope these protests don't get out of hand and get ugly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This plan was never meant to "shut down" any city... What are people talking about? Also the boycott issue that is being "implemented" in L.A is not being used here.

Anyone here actually attending the march?

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Unfortunately there is no real alternative for these people to have their grievances addressed. When they have "sensible" press conferences or local rallys like the 40,000+ people who showed up for a rally last year in the Back of the Yards neighborhood it doesn't receive much press outside of the Spanish language media. Unfortunately, without a massive overwhelming presence in the CBSs of our largest cities, nobody would notice. As undocumented immigrants, they are already operating from a position of weakness in comparison to citizens when it comes to having their side of the story expressed. As has been clearly shown by ORDgasm, even with the millions of people who have marched across the country over the past 2 months and the thousands of hours of attention that has been paid by FOX, CNN and even the Daily Show, he was still completely unaware of what was being discussed. I'm glad to see that with all the stuff that's happening around the country today, that some people still appreciate and know what the Bill of Rights was meant for. It's just ironic and a bit sad that the only people who seem to want to exersize those freedoms are the ones who aren't necessarily leagally protected by them.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
Let's just hope these protests don't get out of hand and get ugly.
The last march was over 100,000 people and was completely peacefull with no arrests. This is not an anti-war march full of wannabe anarchists who can afford to get bailed out by mommy and daddy in Naperville. These are hard working people who can't afford to go to jail and just want their side known.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually now reading the Reuters article they do mention "shutting down" every major city... Though this was never the plan for the Chicago rally. Doesn't seem logical.

I hope our skilled photographers will join the march...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Latoso said:
The last march was over 100,000 people and was completely peacefull with no arrests. This is not an anti-war march full of wannabe anarchists who can afford to get bailed out by mommy and daddy in Naperville. These are hard working people who can't afford to go to jail and just want their side known.
Good point. This isn't some retard-fest by overly spoiled kids from the suburbs who have nothing better to do. These are people who are genuinely scared of losing their livelihood in an unfair way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"You know, this is really starting to piss me off. I'm pro-immigration, but we've got to have rules and structure. You can't just show up and start demanding shit. These bullshit protests that plan to "shut down" our largest cities are only pushing me to the other side of the argument."

They (we) are not against rules and structure; they (we) are against being turned into the this election year's gays, if you get my drift. These rallies aren't being organized because immigrants just woke up a few weeks ago and decided they wanted to piss people off, but because there's a concerted movement to make immigration a wedge issue this year with some fairly draconian anti-immigrant laws.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
NWside said:
Actually now reading the Reuters article they do mention "shutting down" every major city... Though this was never the plan for the Chicago rally. Doesn't seem logical.

I hope our skilled photographers will join the march...
Yeah, as far as shutting down I think they just mean businesses that might have to close for the day because of workers marching. But the march has a very defined time and route which will end up in Hutchinson Field in Grant Park. So, it isn't intended to be chaotic. And in Chicago for example, Congressman Luis Gutierrez has signed agreements with many local businesses to find out how many workers were needed for a skelaton crew and remain open and allowing the rest of the employees to take off for the march and still get paid. Think of it more like a parade where there are speeches at the end of the route.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
it get so pissed off at all these white people who bitch about a lot these mexican immigrants because they came here "illegally". like if poland or italy or ireland shared a land border with the US they're ancestors wouldn't have done the same damn thing. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

hypocracy angers me. i should probably leave this topic now.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Steely Dan said:
it get so pissed off at all these white people who bitch about a lot these mexican immigrants because they came here "illegally". like if poland or italy or ireland shared a land border with the US they're ancestors wouldn't have done the same damn thing. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

hypocracy angers me. i should probably leave this topic now.
Hypocracy? Anger? The person I know who's most pissed about this whole thing is a acquintance I have from India. He spent YEARS waiting in line, filling out the proper forms, learning the language and doing everything one does to become a legal citizen in this country today. He gets almost violent (not sure about that, but starts talking very fast and forcefully) when someone suggests amnesty for the millions of Mexicans that just walk over a non existant border.

To suggest that racist white folk (as if one's heritage really matters in an argument, that's a falacy to begin with) are the only people against this is wrong. You have millions of legal immigrants who see this as extremely unfair and they're right.

However, as I've said in another thread either here or on SSP, the problem really has gotten way too bad to just try and boot everyone out. Partial or total amnesty will be needed, but only after the flow of illegal aliens is stopped, as granting citizen ship with the open border is asking for a flood of people trying to get in before the deadline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.