SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iowa is known in the country mainly for the crops, and people tend to think that we are that and nothing else.
So what is your impression od Des Moines and of the state of Iowa??
Have it change since you entered the forum??

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Iowa is still a very down to earth and friendly state. It is a lot hillier than a lot of people suspect (attractively so in places like Dubuque). My favorite city in Iowa is Iowa City, great college town with a great campus, a lot more sophisticated than people might expect. The Amana colonies near by are a delightful place to spend the day.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I like DM a lot. I hope to come back for a visit this summer. To be brutally honest though, the other parts of Iowa that I saw were a big "yawner". I made the mistake of taking someone's advice and visiting the Amana Colonies while driving through. That's not my cup o' tea. I'm going to check out the Field of Dreams this summer, even though I've heard it's not what it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jason said:
I'm going to check out the Field of Dreams this summer, even though I've heard it's not what it's cracked up to be.
It's just like the movie, not much to see. A baseball field beside a corn field with a nice looking dated country house/farm house.

·
Joshua
218 Posts
flatiron94 said:
Its worth a visit. If you have seen the movie its pretty cool.
My friend lives in Maquoketa in east-central Iowa (not for from the Field of Dreams) and she told me that the guy let the basbell diamonds grow over. She said there's really not much there anymore. Just word on the street though. ;) I DID hear that you can go to Madison county and still sit on the same toilet that Clint Eastwood sat on in THAT movie. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I go to Iowa State and i visit DSM frequently. Not a bad town although it can wear on you if youre used to a big city. I would say nightlife is better in Ames than Des Moines. If youre passing through Iowa, I would say to stop and check it out. The city is growing pretty fast and is pretty much the only reason Iowa hasn't sucked itself into oblivion. Jordan Creek is a pretty nice mall although its not that big.

The state of Iowa in general is pretty boring. My four hour drive from home to school sucks and seems to take forever. The exits on I-35 seem to be spaced once every 10 to 15 miles, which sucks if youre stranded.

The people are intelligent though not as friendly as minnesotans. Its only real problem is that its a "brain drain" state because the opportunities just aren't there. Educated people are moving out of the state to Chi, MSP, KC, STL, and even Omaha. Its a great place to raise a family though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Des Moines is a pretty big city. It just doesn't feel like it. It really is spread out. Downtown is very nice and I like that you can walk the skyways day and night. The State Capitol is beautiful. The tallest building is quite stunning! It's a nice weekend get away.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Des Moines is a fantastic city. I've never lived there, but I've visited family there a few times. The Art Museum is beautiful and there is a TON of impressive public art. The club scene is insane for a city its size. The economy there is solid, based in insurance. Drake University has a strong presence in the city. It's really an amazing place that is horribly underrated.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I went to Drake for 6 years back in the 90's. I have not been back since. I would like to visit the campus again soon and check out any changes in the city.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Was in Des Moines just a couple weeks back and drove through town. Has some nice high rises but what really impressed me were the freeways and wide lanes leading out to the sprawling suburbs. I was surprised how far out Des Moines does stretch and the construction or business parks on the outer edge. I then drove to Lincoln for a business trip.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Was in Des Moines just a couple weeks back and drove through town. Has some nice high rises but what really impressed me were the freeways and wide lanes leading out to the sprawling suburbs. I was surprised how far out Des Moines does stretch and the construction or business parks on the outer edge. I then drove to Lincoln for a business trip.
Are you being sarcastic? That's a serious question. Sprawling suburbs and office parks? I went on a "Big Ten road trip" with some friends from Michigan State, and we went out to Iowa. After the journey of cornfields from Indiana, Illinois, and finally Iowa, we got to Iowa City. Great college town. So we decided to visit Iowa's other well known college in Ames. We went through Des Moines. I visited Jordan Creek, and saw some of downtown. Des Moines had an impressive downtown for its size, but loads of surface parking in the southern and western portions of downtown. Outside of that, I was really disappointed with how much Des Moines did sprawl. Especially in the western and northern suburbs like West Des Moines, Urbandale, and Akeney.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts