SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Salad Days Are Here
11,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Canadian has won this award since at least the Korean War and I think Chretien or somebody made it really difficult for a Canadian to get this award. Whether or not that is true, should Canada have a highest medal of honour and valour specifically for itself? If so, what should it be titled? What should be it's general shape?

FYI, I think the Order of Canada is pretty much reserved for "knighting" someone and isn't a medal of honour and valour in the service of Canada.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Why should anything replace the Victoria Cross? It's awarded only for the "most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy", by Canadian military or allied military serving under Canadian command. Canada until recently hasn't really been in any hostile action. The Canadian VC version of the award was created in 1993. If you read the stories of the individuals that have received the VC you'll see how extremely difficult it is to be awarded one. Read Johnson Beharry's story and you can see why- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry

There hasn't been many Victoria Cross winners across the world since WW2 -

William Speakman - Britain, 1951 Korea.
Rambahadur Limbu - Nepal, 1965 Sarawak, Borneo.
Keith Payne - Australia, 1969 Ben Het, Vietnam.
Johnson Beharry - Grenada, 2005 Al-Amarah, Iraq.
Bryan Budd(deceased) - Britain, 2006 Helmand, Afghanistan.

On the honours list the VC is at the top and then the Cross of Valour ahead of the Order of Canada.

Cross of Valour (CV) - Is open to all Canadians. Awarded for "acts of conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme peril." There have been 20 recipients since its creation in 1972.

Military Valour Decorations in Canada following the VC are -

Star of Military Valour (SMV) - distinguished and valiant service in the presence of the enemy. 2 have been awarded from last year.

Medal of Military Valour (MMV) - an act of valour or devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy. 6 have been awarded since last year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let me try and get this straight here...you want to lower the bar for receiving medals?

Why?

So you can let everyone have an opportunity to get a shiny little reward for patriotism and sacrifice? I think you have just spit on the commitment our troops make each and every day simply to serve your views harboured from kindergarten.

:|

·
Proud Torontonian
1,450 Posts
Let me try and get this straight here...you want to lower the bar for receiving medals?

Why?

So you can let everyone have an opportunity to get a shiny little reward for patriotism and sacrifice? I think you have just spit on the commitment our troops make each and every day simply to serve your views harboured from kindergarten.

:|
Couldn't have said it better. Why lower the bar? Kudos to Jeanny C. for making it even harder to get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.