Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which do you prefer? Riparian or Aurora?

• Riparian

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Aurora

Votes: 18 34.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Your choices:

1.) Riparian Plaza, as one forumer so eloquently put it 'Harry's last big **** you to the world':p

2.) Aurora, tallest residential in Brisbane (at least till Emerald).

Both are the same height give or take a spire or a bit of roof. So which do you prefer.

I go Aurora.

To be honest though, I think real stunners are the G2 towers that are coming online now, ie Vision, Empire Square, Emerald etc.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmm, well I buggered that up, the top r refers to Riparian then, bottom r to Aurora:p

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Riparian without a doubt :) Stunning tower.

It's design is outstanding. I love how Harry S has been been able to incorprate different styles from each of his towers to produce the one skyscraper. I like how the facades are broken up into three sections but yet intergrate well with each other.

Aurora is a good tower, but is nothing when compared to Riparian.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think they are both attractive looking towers, but i give my vote to riparian, simply because of its 3 parts of 'uniqueness', compared to aurora which has only 2 parts (if u get what i mean).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I like Riparian, a much better mixed use development creating accommodation and jobs, while less colourful than Aurora it looks better on the river. My vote goes to Riparian Plaza. If Aurora was better lit at the top and more mixed use, it would be Aurora.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dear locke - Why would you wish to keep stirring this pot? Riparian has its recognised band of haters who any regular reader to this forum can easily identify. I'm not one of them and I've been amazed by the vitriol expressed by so many who have never seen Riparian. It's easy to have an opinion about someting you have never seen, particularly if one has a bias about a particular architect. Anyone can go back over the Riparian posts and identiy the usual suspects. I can't comprehend why someone who is such a positive contributor to these forums would wish to invite this chorus of Riparian fangers to keep their campaign alive.

Do you prefer red or green? What's the point? Why waste our time?

·
Registered
338 Posts
notra said:
Dear locke - Why would you wish to keep stirring this pot? Riparian has its recognised band of haters who any regular reader to this forum can easily identify. I'm not one of them and I've been amazed by the vitriol expressed by so many who have never seen Riparian. It's easy to have an opinion about someting you have never seen, particularly if one has a bias about a particular architect. Anyone can go back over the Riparian posts and identiy the usual suspects. I can't comprehend why someone who is such a positive contributor to these forums would wish to invite this chorus of Riparian fangers to keep their campaign alive.

Do you prefer red or green? What's the point? Why waste our time?
I think it is just a straight forward question. Any one can vote in the pole and express their opinion wether they like it or not. Iam sure locke would be expecting the opinions of people who have actually seen the buildings or others which can view pictures and make their decision. My opinion is that we needed a pole with this topic. There has been many arguments but never a pole.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
I love Riparian the base i still find a little bland but the rest is spectacular.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
notra, it is a skyscraper forum where we chat about skyscrapers so its ok to fight about which skyscraper you like.lol
anyway
out of these two, i pic harrys Riper- par-rian! I love its boldness and its top 1/3 is amazing. the spire is perfectly perched up there. real statement on skyline.Having said that i also love Aurora. Its a handsome block of flats. no ugliness.
Riparian just has that bit more.
cheers

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a bit of fun notra, we just had our first two tallies go up, both about the same height, one white, the other near black, seem perfect for a comparison to see which flavour people prefer, especially since it's hard to tell, you'd think Riparian gets lambasted a lot but I think it's probably got big silent support (actually the poll reflects this already).

It's really a poll for locals more than anything, driving in on the freeway they sit right next to each other, same height, so you get thinking which do people actually prefer?

Plan to do another one when Empire Square, Emerald, Vision and 480 are done round 2010:) Damn, that's a while off yet;)

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
ncc1701d

·
New Urbanist
5,561 Posts
I love Polls! I'm going against the trend, GO AURORA! except Aurora's management is SHIT! I have my reasons... but i still like riparian...

·
26,640 Posts
CULWULLA said:
Voted Aurora, and one of the main reasons is that I don't like this view, or the streetscape around Riparian, although other than that it is a fantastic building and the "spire" looks brilliant.
Aurora to me looks great at street level, the back isn't 100% but I still think it looks great.
They both look fantastic from a distance though so it was a close call!

·
Yeah but No!!
1,514 Posts
I know this is a cop out but Im not going to vote cos I really cant decide. They are both magnificent buildings of very different styling but I really just cant pick a preference.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a look at the back of Aurora today, I've never been a fan of it to be honest...

However...

Now that it's all done, it has scrubbed up remarkably well! The black top, green glass and overall chunkiness of it has a certain appeal, at least more so than I was expecting. Riparian still has a nicer rear on balance, but then Aurora has a nicer front.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Brissy4me said:
I like Riparian, a much better mixed use development creating accommodation and jobs, while less colourful than Aurora it looks better on the river. My vote goes to Riparian Plaza. If Aurora was better lit at the top and more mixed use, it would be Aurora.
...but during the day (lights and purpose aside), which would you choose? It's not as though Riparian is brilliantly lit at night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts