Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
interesting, being a Portland rooting for the Timbers, I will probably root for this team seeing it will start up while I am still living here. Great to see an MLS team actually in NYC rather than Jersey, with no offense to Jersey. Though the Queens location I am not a fan of, but it isn't really a big deal because it seems like that area is becoming the stadiums area already.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think and I hope that this new NYC team will begin in 2014 at Citi Field as temporary stadium. Borough Boys NYC section Italy.

P.S. Compliments for your great group of supporters ( Timbers Army of course )
Thank you, the Timbers Army is what makes soccer so electric in Portland, regardless of how much the Timbers have sucked. I like to joke that the Portland Timbers are the Chicago Cubs of MLS, the fan base there is just amazing.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
MLS Soccer Stadium In Flushing

Major League Soccer (MLS) officials are in discussions to bring a brand-new soccer stadium to Queens, which would make it the first facility built in New York with a MLS team as its main tenant. Insiders say the stadium would be built on a section of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Flushing near Citifield and the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, where the U.S Open is played. The stadium would hold 25,000 people and be home to a yet unnamed MLS team, according to a source familiar with the talks.

MLS Soccer stadium Flushing New York

The team that would play in the proposed stadium would be the league’s 20th franchise in MLS. Another MLS team, the New York Red Bulls, opened a 25,000-seat stadium in Harrison, New Jersey in 2010. The source close to the discussions said that the proposed stadium would be funded with private money but still require approval because construction would be on city-owned land.

In addition to building the stadium, MLS would replace and upgrade existing soccer fields nearby the would-be location and build courts for cricket and volleyball. MLS has been in “exploratory discussions in recent weeks with city and Queens officials about building the stadium. “We are thrilled about the prospect of being in Queens and bringing the world’s sport to the world’s park,” a MLS spokeswoman said. “Major League Soccer remains committed to securing a 20th team for the League that would be located in New York City.”

One of the officials involved in the discussion with MLS is Jack Friedman, executive director of the Queens Chamber of Commerce. Friedman said that he supports the stadium being built at Flushing Meadows because it would create jobs and bring people from both New York and other states to Queens.

“It’s what’s being played there every day,” Friedman said, adding that soccer is very popular in the Flushing, Jackson Heights and Corona neighborhoods.

As part of their meetings, Friedman said that he got to discuss any outstanding issues he had with MLS officials. According to Friedman, if the stadium is built, no games would be played there during New York Mets home games and the first week of the U.S Open. This would avoid congestion and parking issues in the area, Friedman said. The MLS regular season usually starts in March and runs at the same time as the Major League Baseball season.

[...]

·
Marynarz
1,471 Posts
Awsome, NYC needs a Soccer team, and I personally think 25k will be too small. The fan base is huge, and unlike the Giants/Jets stadium and Red Bull this stadium will not be ways out in NJ.
If i was back in Queens I would try to go to every game, if the tickets were under $50.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awsome, NYC needs a Soccer team, and I personally think 25k will be too small. The fan base is huge, and unlike the Giants/Jets stadium and Red Bull this stadium will not be ways out in NJ.
If i was back in Queens I would try to go to every game, if the tickets were under $50.
NYC deserves the MLS, not the NASL ( a second level league ). **** off new Cosmos !!!!

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Queens groups push back on plans for neighborhood sports arenas, mall

September 13, 2012 02:00PM

The Flushing Meadow-Corona Park development area

A coalition of community groups is trying to block the Bloomberg administration’s plans to bring two professional sports arenas and a one million-square-foot mall to the area surrounding Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Six groups, including Make the Road New York, have won the support of local City Council member Julissa Ferreras in their efforts to hold up necessary approvals for the projects on the basis that the city is taking away open space without accounting for whether the neighborhood could support the significant increases in traffic and population the projects would bring. The community is also concerned the mall would drive out smaller local business.

“I have an obligation to make sure that our community gets a voice in the process…The community needs to decide if these three different proposals are a good use of parkland,” Ferreras said.

The coalition’s concerns could stall the project or force concessions from the city, which is not keen to delay its efforts.

“In all of our conversations with Queens community groups, we hear the same message consistently: the borough needs more jobs and economic activity. These projects would meet that need in spectacular fashion and provide employment to thousands of Queens residents,” said Julie Wood, a spokesperson for the city.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
SHoP Architects Tapped To Design new Soccer Stadium In Queens

With the Barclays Center finished and the Atlantic Yards towers on the way, SHoP Architects have been busy picking up a couple more mega projects. Last week, it was announced that SHoP is designing the hotel and outlet mall for the Staten Island observation wheel, and today, Capital reports that SHoP is working on the initial designs for the possible Major League Soccer stadium in Flushing. We compared the project to Barclays Center before, but now this just feels like déjà vu. SHoP declined to comment in Capital's article, but MLS officials confirmed that the firm is working on designs. SHoP has already weathered one sports arena-related storm of community backlash, so perhaps MLS thought they'd be best prepared for the job since the neighbors are already picking a fight.

Originally, MLS said the stadium would create 2,000 construction jobs, 300 permanent full-time jobs, and 900 part-time jobs, but those numbers have changed. Capital reports that now the construction jobs have increased to between 2,100-2,3000, and the permanent jobs have decreased to 160 and part-time dropped to 750. MLS also estimates that it needs a whopping 4,400 parking spaces, with 300 of those set aside for players and VIPs.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I'm with the residents on this one, if they build a stadium plus parking it will take away a decent size chunk of the park which there are very few parks in the area as it is.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
I'm with the residents on this one, if they build a stadium plus parking it will take away a decent size chunk of the park which there are very few parks in the area as it is.
The soccer complex developers are required to replace the 13 acres of lost parklands: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/10...scouts-toxic-land-for-replacement-park-space/

With the proposal to make a Major League Soccer stadium at Flushing Meadows Corona Park comes the requirement by law to replace the 13 acres of parkland that the property would occupy, and the organization is scrambling to find it. DNAinfo reported. One of the sites the organization is considering is a toxic site on the Flushing River.

An MLS spokesperson told DNAinfo that they are “working with community leaders to identify parcels.”

·
Registered
572 Posts
As an outsider looking in....I'm with the residents and people that won't to protect the park like it is.........and they are suggesting giving folks toxic land that hasn't even been remediated yet?? who's going to pay for the remediation process :lol:

Why don't they look at the the parking lot over there by Citi Field and build a massive parking deck in between the proposed soccer stadium and Citi Field...and looking at the map above on post #10, I guess enough parking for the planned shopping area too.... this is NYC.... I know they can figure out a way to squeeze a soccer stadium on to that land.......

Seriously, that's great they want a soccer stadium in NYC, but they need to leave the scarce grassy parklands in the city alone...where folks can enjoy some greenscape......

Last time I checked there is such a thing as underground parking right???.....they can't put a parking deck underneath a proposed soccer stadium??.... c'mon son... leave that park alone....

What's the rush???? If they were really forward thinking they would take that large parcel of a railyard, adjacent maintenace buildings, and parking lot.....and invest in sinking it below grade, and building an air rights development over that....which could be a shopping center or a stadium.....

GreeNYC? http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/stormwater/nyc_green_infrastructure_plan.shtml ????? , PlaNYC http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc2030/html/home/home.shtml ???? Yeah.....ok.....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts