SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Soccer Stadiums of the USA and Canada

4286877 Views 17779 Replies 705 Participants Last post by  Ramanaramana
http://www.cityofboston.gov/news/default.aspx?ID=3225
Boston is honored and proud to be recruited by Major League Soccer to be the potential home for the New England Revolution,” said Mayor Thomas M. Menino. “This is a fantastic opportunity for our city and our neighborhoods, but it will require a throughout exploration of possible sites – we need to make sure this works for Boston residents.”
Do you think there's any chance to get past NIMBY's in Boston ?
Reactions: salamatism
1 - 20 of 17780 Posts
It would be great if they built a stadium.

It should become home to the Boston Cannons Major League Lacrosse team, because the ground they play at now is an absolute disgrace.
Sure, they would have to pay rent, but they would probably become the flagship franchise of MLL.
I think the best locations for a stadium would be either Suffolk Downs or Wonderland Dog Track. Dog track racing is on life support, and Suffolk Downs isn't far behind unless they can get slot machines approved.
Parking, T access, major roads in the area, reasonably close to Boston, and probably not a whole lot of NIMBYs.
victory said:
It would be great if they built a stadium.

It should become home to the Boston Cannons Major League Lacrosse team, because the ground they play at now is an absolute disgrace.
Are in they in Foxboro right now?
Yes, they play at Gilette Stadium, in Foxboro, Massachusetts.
samsonyuen said:
Are in they in Foxboro right now?
It's about time the New England Revolution announced plans for a soccer-specific stadium. Since the rise of Soccer Specific Stadiums I always wanted the Revolution to have one.
There's no news about a stadium unfortunately, but there are rumours that with the announcement of the new "Beckham Rule", Luis Figo might go to New York or the Revolution. There's are large portuguese communitys in Framingham, Fall River and New Bedford.
A Boston MLS stadium would be awesome..... It would be cool if they could just use Fenway though.
MLS stadiums

we have forums for almost every other soccer league's stadiums so i thought we could start one for mls, if people have pictures of different mls stadiums add them to this thread
It looks like the stands have been painted on a wall...
I also looked at the RFK stadium wrong and thought the upper tier was flat. :S

Good to see large crowds, though.
just how tall is Reliant (inclusive of the roof)?

it looks insanely huge
Except that Reliant isn't an MLS stadium, it's only used for international matches.
Home Depot Center - 27, 000

home of the LA Beckhams and Chivas USA

Geez RFK Stadium is ugly!! Reliant is a cool looking stadium. But if it's not used in the MLS, it doesn't really apply to this thread.

I didn't realise that the Home Depot Centre *cringes @ the name* had bench seats! How old is it?
HDC opened in 2003. It has bench style seats behind the goals. Rest of the stadium has regular seats.
Geez RFK Stadium is ugly!! Reliant is a cool looking stadium. But if it's not used in the MLS, it doesn't really apply to this thread.

I didn't realise that the Home Depot Centre *cringes @ the name* had bench seats! How old is it?
New York will have Red Bull Park soon. When does it open? It looks like a cool little stadium. Who is playing in that pic of Giants Stadium? Looks like Juventus & who else?
I think it should be pointed out to non-Americans here that stadiums such as the above Giants Stadium shown with 80,000 Soccer Fans are very misleading, these are doubtless international matches or perhaps an exhibition match, or perhaps a photo from WC '94. New York would be lucky to get 15,000 on a good day. Those stadiums are outrageously bigger than the demand because they are gridiron stadiums.

The biggest Soccer Specific Stadium is the LA Galaxy one (also they have the biggest turnout and revenue in the league). Always found it weird that LA happily supports two soccer clubs from a league of twelve, but no NFL Franchise from a league of 32.
Most of these stadia are not 'soccer'(football) specific. For example Reliant stadium is an NFL stadium and isn't used in the MLS
Columbus Crew Stadium - 21, 000

1 - 20 of 17780 Posts