SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you'll enjoy that thread.. :)

There are some pictures of Sofia...100 years ago.

The king palace

Alexander place

Alexander blvd.

Turgovska str. (Doesn't exist in our days)

The "Largoto" construction

Moskovska str.

Tsar Osvoboditel str.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
27,485 Posts
Thank you very much for these pics!

·
Super Moderator
11,202 Posts
Great stuff Локум :D
lol I didn't notice that's what his username spelled!

But yeah, Sofia has had an interesting growth throughout the years, with some intense construction of classy architecture, for the first 50 years since the liberation. After that, war happens. and communism :D

Great job finding the pics :eek:kay:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Awesome thread:eek:kay:
Its incredible, how in the minds of most of us non-Bulgarian Eastern Europeans, Sofia is very under-rated.
Personally, I will use the first available opportunity to visit the city:yes:

·
Globetrekker
1,131 Posts
They don't build them like they used to. Great photos.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
27,485 Posts
Its incredible, how in the minds of most of us non-Bulgarian Eastern Europeans, Sofia is very under-rated.
I've never underrated Sofia. Actually it looks pretty similar to ukrainian cities.

·
For better Bulgaria
1,314 Posts

I live in the 11th richest city in Europe if we look at the GDP per capita. The infrastructure is STILL better than the one in Sofia ( I should also mention that they almost rebuilt the city because of its 400 years anniversary ), but I can never compare it to Sofia. I mean, Sofia is a huge and beautifull city. Very soon ( I think within 5 years ) Sofia will be one of the most beautifull and modern European cities.

Yea I agree that the communists f****d it up but this can be corrected haha.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I get so sad when I see such retro pictures of Sofia. Why did the Allies have to bomb the city? WHY? WHY? Sofia was one of the nicest cities in Europe back then...:cry: Very nice pictures! I aabsolutely love them!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I get so sad when I see such retro pictures of Sofia. Why did the Allies have to bomb the city? WHY? WHY? Sofia was one of the nicest cities in Europe back then...:cry: Very nice pictures! I aabsolutely love them!
Why? Because we were on the loosing side of the war as always!

·
Registered
375 Posts
^^
It's not only WW2 bombings...look what happened to Warsaw...it was completely destroyed, 99% leveled up. But they restored the old town and most of the buildings. It has more to do with the Bulgarian communists' from 'selo' and their complete lack of sense of beauty.

·
Banned
972 Posts
How sad! The symbolism within the mere fact that Sofia was once more beautiful, clean and for that brief period of time quite modern as opposed to what it is today, a relatively complex pile of ugliness with spots of elegance seemingly out of place in a sea of garbage... It is indeed sad to know that before we can even catch up to anyone in the 21st century we must first go back to what we had in the 1930s and then accelerate that which we have missed in this nasty period of approximately 60 hellish years that mar both our history and collective intelligence. When most others were developing and moving forward we were simply un-developping and looking for a way to climb back into the caves! Well, as architectural symbolism would have it, caves in this case is another word for commie blocks. How lovely!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts