SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, here's where my walk starts, NDK, the place where people meet. this used to be my fav hangout place.

a soc era pic. the square is really cool in summer with all the bustle and hustle going around

bulgaria square

Levski blvd house

popa, a place where people meet. to buy weed...

Svoboda park, near soviet army monument

Sports' palace

natio0nal stadium vasil levski

St Sofia church (which is nowhere near, but who cares?)

batemberg mausoleum

Vitoshka, the main drag of sofia with all the hot shops/chicks (unfortunately, chicks don't show off in march, it's too cold) Mount vitosha's snowy cap is visible in the photo, of U look hard enough

Court Palace

Alabin street

KNSB building, our little genex montrocity

Macedonia (FYROM maybe?) square. a place where U can spot sofia's she-male protitutes (!!!) Rodina Hotel in the distance

Ministry of agriculture

Hristo Botev blvd and Cherni Vruh in the distance

Vuzrazhdane square

Stamboliiski blvd

Some small streets. notice the cars, parked on top of one another. there's a huga parking problem here.

Vitoshka once again

Former Lenin square, now sveta nedelja; the stalinist building is the Sheraton

Saborna street

St George rotonda (very very old), in the court of the Sheraton/council of ministers complex

TZUM (central universal store), modelled after moscow GUM, currently a shopping mall

Party house

try to grasp the hammer and sickle

Some small streets

Mosque on Banski square

St Nedelja church and vitosha mtn

Banski square

Central bath house, under restoration. to become museum of sofia some day

many houses like that on maria lousa blvd, but I was too tired to continue...

Pirotska, a pedestrian street that's full of shoe shops for some reason; notice the weird statue on the right

Elektroimpex and the synagogue. it's interestin that there's a synagogue, mosque and cathedral in a 100m distance

halite, a shopping mall; this is the back door, unfortunately the photo of hte facade is blurred beyond recognition

synagogue and ekzarh joseph street

back to pirotska

one outdoor cafe's already settled here. in a month the whole street will be covered with cafes, full of "overwrought" people complaining about how much they hate living in Bulgaria

Rodina hotel with a coll view towards vitosha and kopitoto TV tower

another mountain site

this is part one, now I have to walk my dog and get a snack...

·
Registered
419 Posts
GREAT!!

REAL pic's, REAL city, REAL people... I like it.

It reminds me very much of belgrade. But not so much building by building, but the atmosphere, and the fact that it looks so 'everyday real'. Or it's just the fact that I'm used to such a city, and that I like it.

And I love the comment on the people goign to cafe's every day complaining on how it sucks to live in Bulgaria and, this part I analoguously assume, how they want to flee the place. Yuck... :)

·
Super Moderator
11,202 Posts
awesome pictures!
great tour!
and I have to say the Synagogue, Mosque and Cathedral (plus a couple more churches around), just adds to the city history

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back, time for part 2

^^^ oh, the genex threat relly facinated me! I luv the dfamn thing, wish they could build a replica next door so I can look at it every day

could be a bentley, though I first though it was a Mercedes. Looks hilarious next to the kadett :lol: . I've also seen a lamborghini and a maibach (definitely confused the spelling...) on vitoshka, mafia people usually come to show off here. most common mafia cars now are the mercedes Gclasses, the robust jeep that's lika a coffin. they look like herses, since thay are all black and have plates like 0000 ab or IVAN01

about pirotska, it must be connected to pirot, as the street is directed straight to the nish road. btw, it's the longest sofia street, it goes all the way to Lulin, a renaissance florence of commie blocks...

Some photos from the u/c sofia "city", some of the first projects are already completed. I hope I see skyscrapers here some day
this is hotel anEl (anal lol, couldn't help it)

??? the building was still vacant, just finished, probably

this is where I took a short trip with the subway back to the center. I shot a few pics, just as I was exiting the station a cop caught me by the arm and scared the shit out of me, I had a little bag of joint in my backpack... thanks god he never opened it! he said I couldn't tak photos and made me delete all I'd shot. he said he was supposed to take the camera and hand it over at the station, where I was to get it in several MONTHS!

so I'll post some station photos from the web
Serdica, the site of my "crime"

Vardar, where I got on

So, here's once again sveta nedelja church

st sofia statue. she's hot man, very exposed boobs, and her nipples are hard. the church refused to send a priest to ??? the statue when they inaugurated it because st sofia looked slutty. too bad the close-up-bust-pic was blurred
:(

out of the subway

This is grafa, my favourite drag. it's not as expensive as vitoshka, but I believe it deserves more appreciation.

KNSB reminds me a bit of that beogrdjanka tower.

this is a more elegant part of sofia, there's less trade and more office space, banks, government buildings and similar stuff. buildings are more beautiful, there's more preserved from the bombings in 1944, but it's really more sterile and boring. I hardly ever go there, so I'm really surprised to find how nice it was on that sunny march saturday.

this is where I enter the yellow brick area.

typical babait exemplar. no wonder why macedonian nacionalists claim bulgarians were tatars...

presidency fountain

archeological museum

batmberg square

royal palace

bulgaria hotel; note the screen, counting down the days to bulgaria's EU membership. They have the same clock in Bucharest, I hope theirs is counting down at the same rate...

National theatre Ivan Vazov

Rakovska street, Sofia's broadway. it has about 20 theatres

army's club

houses and embasies on ruski blvd, the main yellow brick road

parliament on zar osvoboditel square

Alexander nevsky. I love the photo, the moon is good (I think it's not a moon, but dirt on the cam, but it looks nice)

the usual traffic jam and the university

ruski blvd

university building

a huge traffic jam on orlov most, the gate to the main city highway; traffic light wasn't working

Some places I couldn't visit because my battery died on me
int'l art gallery

Laleto ski area and the simeonovski lift gondola
the romanian church

Russian church

St Petka church

I hope you njoyed it, I didn't, it's so damn frustrating to upload photos...

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,287 Posts
what's that with Bulgaria and forbiding photos? I experienced some as well. I can just imagine him saying something like "Sinko ovde si zabranuvano slikuvanie. Vsichko s pamyat na kamerata da vbrises" (heh me and my Bulgarian :D)

great shots once again-and these areas are more beatiful and preserved IMO then the ones in part 1
this is very nice reminds me of Belgrade a bit
http://www.bgphoto.net/photos/924/o632463267823750000.jpg
which cam do you have?

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,287 Posts
btw your thread made my pc go low on virtual memory lol

btw that mtel shit are pure thiefs. Your credit goes away in seconds. You can`t finish one normal phonecall with one card.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also low on memory :) it's a pretty bulky thread for sure
and Mtel -if you use their prima cards, yes, they rip you off. they MAKE you sign a contract, since it's 10 times cheaper. at first sight. then they start fucking with you in a most brutal way, epecially if you use roaming service. I hope market situation improves when they start the 3rd operator in april.
I didn't see your first post, sure you can move it to fototeka, but after some time. I feel no one ever opens it...
the camera is a DM 307 slim http://www.daisymm.com/l/en/product_mc_en.php#p_307slim
it sucks, compared to my parents' sony, but they are really cheap, since they manufacture them next door...

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,287 Posts
yeah lol that was what I did-using prima card for roaming lol. Credit was gone in couple of seconds.

I saw review of Daisy cams in Svet Kompjutera magazin but I think noone is keen to buy cam made in BG (no offence cause noone would buy cam made in Serbia either).

so was my Bulgarian any good? :D

·
Super Moderator
11,202 Posts
wow, again nice shots!
as for the pics, I think the trouble comes from the host, I had the same problem with mywebpage.netscape, but photobucket works pretty well and fast, the only thing is that you need to catch the right times to register for free. or if you really need the bandwith pay 20$ per year I think, but in any case I certainly don't need it myself.
oh and :rofl: at your St Sofia description! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
^^^ no, I don't know where this is... I think only the italian embassy is on ruski
10x for the compliments, it's because of the lovely weather we had on saturday. the camera's more than i expected, it consumes lots of power, I have to go about with 2 pairs of batteries. Otherwise, the people from daisy really try to hide the origin of the company, I noticed on the site that it's vaguely mentioned. I was very reserved upon buying the cam, but it was a bargain. People here don't care what they buy, so long as it's a good deal...
the photo shooting ban is really strange, especially in a stupid subway! besides, no one in BG obeys signs like "no photos" "no parking" "no alcohiol to minors" "no smoking" "stop" "give way"... and people usually get away with some serious charges. Imagine my surprise when the cop almost arrested me for something so minor. and he was in no way advisive (Sinko tuka e zabraneno snimaneto. Vsichko ot pametta na kamerata da iztries) ;), he took my ID card! ti si s bugarskom kao ja so srpskom... uvek turbofolk!

·
Iroquois of Europe
9,854 Posts
Nice street scenes.
I like that first metro station, it's possible, it would be one of the best in Warsaw, little beat similar to Athens. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great photos. Took me awhile to go through them all, but it was definitely worth it as they gave off a real city feel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello, really interesting and real life pictures from Sofia.
BTW, does anyone know what Kamenitza means? (there is a big sign in the popa place)

thnx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts