Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working closely with Crossrail, proposals for the over-site development are close to be submitted for planning. The proposed 200,000sq ft scheme includes office, retail and a theatre/cultural facility all arranged around a new public square.

Type: Mixed
Size: 267,000 sq ft (24,805 sq m)
Completion date: 2020
Architect: AHMM

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Public square, glass viewing theatre, both excellent. Building itself, massive fail.

Perfect site for mixed use modern high quality tower to create a destination worthy of being a heavily-used transport interchange for the heart for the West End, and to compliment future development and masterplanning of neighbouring St Giles Circus, Bloomsbury and Oxford Street.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Will there be a Crossrail entrance in the building? If so, then what a shit, uninspiring building it is - not exactly doing favours for an area that is undergoing heavy redevelopment? Are the architects so unimaginative that they have to keep coming up with glass boxes? Not just TCR station, but also Bond Street and Farringdon? They could really go to town for such central stations on such an important, exciting engineering project, but no.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For me, the absolute worst aspect is its presence (or lack of) on the corner in the first image. It is totally blank and uninspired, does not act as a marker to an exciting intersecton that its should be, or have any architectural interest whatsoever. I am truly appauled. That being said, I do like the plaza on the south side, backing onto the church at soho square, that is a nice idea. But to be flanked by such a piece of banality, who would ever want to stay in that space?

·
Just Relax
23,003 Posts
Great, another hideously boring building.

That area has pretty much lost all character now. When the bland crossrail buildings go up as well its transformation from an architecturally interesting (although slighlty disfunctional) place to a bland Croydon inspired non entity will be complete. Good effort.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Horrendous. Just when you thought Oxford street couldn't get any worse?

At least there will be a sparkly new Primark to excite the millions of visitors.. What a Joke.

Don't forget they will be able to take all this in whilst walking across a diagonal crossing.

This will truly be a 21st Space London can be proud off.

The ambition of Westminster, Camden and the Mayors office is pathetic. They have a once in a lifetime opportunity to create a brand new space in central London and what do they endorse, a cheap clothing store and one of the dullest modern office developments in recent years.

Compare and contrast the City with Westminster. The City gets something startling like One New Change to revitalise shopping in the city.
Westminster/Camdens response to the grotty end of what is one of the worlds most famous shopping streets on a prominent corner site on top of what will be one of Central Londons largest transport interchange. An instantly forgettable block.

Appalling. :(

This site has to be CPO right, so why not run an international competition for the site considering the above ground won't be built for a few years and then give Derwent London first dibbs on the site seeing as its them being CPO. But no thats far to ambitious.

·
35,492 Posts
i can't agree more. we have this for example a block away from the BT tower. the amount of hoops they have to jump through to justify the height of 35 metres is absurd. it's next to a bloody skyscraper! it seems any hint of originality is out in this area... central saint giles is looking like a one off.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Although that CZWG scheme is terribly poor. CZWG are very hit and miss and when they miss they miss spectacularly.

I would be horrified if that was proposed at TCR. I hope they locals actually save the workhouses if thats the alternative and considering thats been stuck in planning for almost 5 months now it looks like they may get their wish.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
This is AHHM Delores.
As already expressed here, this is truly disappointing. A lost opportunity for something symbolical of citywide importance. This looks to be purely guided by functions not inspiration.
I apologize but really they could of been designed by the same hands? For an important site such as this they have gone for a design that has to be one of the most joyless and dreary pieces of architecture I've seen for years. What's wrong with these people? Obviously the homage is to the 60's not to the far more successful and prettier Victorian / Georgian London. This should of been a great entrance to the resurgence of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street instead they have finally butchered it up for future generations to wonder again, what went wrong?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This would be a disgraceful waste of a fantastic site. Since when did the late 50's and 60's make a comeback in urban design terms. Even in the renders this looks as banal and dated as any of the postwar horrors on Victoria Street or even the long-gone Paternoster Square. Back to the drawing board we can only hope...

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Obviously AHHM believe so, when I saw the original massing images of the scheme I thought it was a joke but now look at it, nothing's changed apart from a a bit of ' colour' on the windows. It's a pity because some of their work's alright but perhaps they are the wrong choice for this important site, get Prince Charles onto it!
On another note it's funny how it's gone in for pre planning and not a whisper about it when they announced the station designs?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Sheesh, that massing drawing we saw a few months ago was in fact just a black and white picture of this. The massing from Oxford street is okay, but facing the junction is terrible. It's just a huge lump. One option is to change that cladding. Reduce the size of the windows with more stone or metal surrounds. An increase of height on the corner, even by three of four floors, would break it up a bit and allow for a different cladding treatment therby breaking the bulk up a bit.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts