Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we have had a number of countries impose anti dumping tariffs on solar panels coming from China. Recently India is planning on imposing the those tariffs to various degrees to pretty much all major solar production countries. It is becoming increasingly clear that this is pretty much disguised protectionism. I understand these counties want the Jobs associated with the Solar industry so they are content delaying adoption rather than be displaced from the industry. However, long term the writing on the wall is clear, solar will become a commodity. As such its cost will be dominated by labor costs and or automated robotics if they can get them cheap enough.

The United States and Europe have already failed in areas that require either cheap labour or advanced robotic automation at a very low price. As such it might be a lost cause and they are just delaying adoption of solar.

Another reason why it makes no sense is China is effectively subsidising U.S. power. I mean assuming the Chinese are selling these panels for too cheap this is the equivalent of the Chinese selling the United States and the rest of the World OIL below market price. Can you imagine the U.S. placing anti-dumping tarriffs on Saudi Arabia for selling its oil too cheap. Well this is exactly what is going on. Crazy Huh! In the meantime the Americans and European spend billions so that people can afford the Solar panels by way of subsidy. This will create some short term jobs, perpetuate environmental degradation for longer. Long term though the Chinese will adapt and lower costs even further or move production.

Sometimes, I wonder if the tariffs are a red herring to protect the entrenched power producers a bit longer.

·
Make America Great Again!
893 Posts
Sometimes, I wonder if the tariffs are a red herring to protect the entrenched power producers a bit longer.
Yes, that is exactly what they are.

In the end, all tariffs do is pass on the cost to the consumer and lower quality of life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts