Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small US-based company called Solar Roadways are developing a solar road surface that, if installed nationwide, has the potential to produce more renewable energy than the entire country uses. In fact, they’ve actually already developed a working prototype that’s been installed in a parking lot, and they’re now crowdsourcing funds in order to tweak the design and move towards production.

Solar Roadways, which was started by Scott and Julie Brusaw in 2006, designed and developed hexagonal glass solar panels studded with LED lights that could be installed on a variety of surfaces such as roads, pavements and playgrounds. These panels would more than pay for themselves and would benefit both businesses and homeowners as the energy generated from driveways and parking lots could be used to power buildings, and any excess can be sold back to the grid.

The panels also contain heating elements to melt ice and snow so are ideal in winter conditions, and LEDs to make road lines and signs which have been previously shown to reduce night time accidents. The surface could also be used to charge electric vehicles as oppose to fossil fuels, and future technology could even allow for charging whilst driving via mutual induction panels. Amazingly, the team also found that car headlights can produce energy in the panels, so cars driving around at night would be producing some electricity.

A glass surface may sound fragile, but the prototypes have been extensively tested and were found to be able to withstand even the heaviest trucks. Recycled materials can also be used to produce the panels; the prototypes were constructed using 10% recycled glass.

All of the panels will be wired up, so faults can be easily detected and repaired. They team have also designed a place to stash power cables, called “Cable Corridors”, which would allow easy access by utility workers. Furthermore, they also believe that these corridors could be used to house fiber optic cables for high-speed internet.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/solar-roads-could-power-entire-country#oB60C11wuCcdDR1l.99

If you'd like to donate: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

This thing has gone viral in the last couple months, can't believe there isn't any threads about it here. It sounds really promising. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
219 Posts
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/solar-roads-could-power-entire-country#oB60C11wuCcdDR1l.99

If you'd like to donate: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

This thing has gone viral in the last couple months, can't believe there isn't any threads about it here. It sounds really promising. What do you guys think?
The amount of uncritical press this obviously useless idea is getting around the web is making me feel like i'm in an episode of Twilight Zone.

Reactions: bnk

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems pretty easy and fast to install these things on the roads. How and when it will be prevalent is depending on the willingness of goverments and people.

·
forumer #29
4,880 Posts
The amount of uncritical press this obviously useless idea is getting around the web is making me feel like i'm in an episode of Twilight Zone.
I gotta agree. I hope it's real and lives up to what it claims to do. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Idea? Awesome. However to see is to believe. Their promo-video is great, but they have more than enough money (well, one million is plenty) to make a working prototype and see how it works.

And if it works, I can only say 4 words: go to Elon Musk. I mean this guy is all about making future closer, and he likes futuristic idea that pays for themselfs. besides, bot sure if there will be anyone else eager to participate in idea, which would mean powerful backstab in General Electrics and friends.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Did you actually watch the video? They do have a working prototype, they raised money for starting mass-production.

Apparently Google is interested, but I hope they don't buy its patent or something because they are probably gonna abandon this project althogether, it's gonna be like Oculus all over again.

·
Taking On The World
26,582 Posts
What's the cost per km vs asphalt or concrete?

also, one thing is to support the weight of a truck. Another, is supporting impacts.

·
Mexicopolis
552 Posts
I've seen some concerns with rain water and the capability of these roads to properly absorb/deal with it. Other than that I feel the idea is awesome, however it reminds me that cell phone that had interchangeable parts ¿What happened to it? Ideas come and go but I want to see them come true.

·
Taking On The World
26,582 Posts
I've seen some concerns with rain water and the capability of these roads to properly absorb/deal with it. Other than that I feel the idea is awesome, however it reminds me that cell phone that had interchangeable parts ¿What happened to it? Ideas come and go but I want to see them come true.
not every idea is feasible.

again, what are the costs of these roads per km compared to normal roads?

"oh, but they can provide more energy than the entire US uses".

yeah, fine and dandy... but what if to completely replace US roads and streets with this tech... millions of kilometers, in order to produce so much energy, you would spend 500 trillion dollars? Money enough to create so many fission molten salt reactors, or invest in fusion until you get it right potentially creating much more energy than these roads would be capable while spending much less?

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Total scam. You can "donate" money to make this happen. :lol: I hope all gaias give them money.

From the Youtube link

Brad Johnson
17 hours ago

Just donated to this. Let's make it happen! :)

Luc Laforest

9 hours ago

Well ... To bad for you I would say ....

I represent a serious corporation that could really move this technology ahead "If viable" of coarse, and for DAYS and many messages we've been trying to contact these peoples so we get information such as panel pricing, stocj availabliIity and/or possible distribution ... But NOT A WORD from them.

To us, this now just seems to be a; "You like my idea, give me your money, so that I can pursue it and make myself millions and send you a keychain" type of scheme.

And to people I advise that until you can get REAL INFORMATION

·
Registered
549 Posts
The idea is great, but, how much grip you get on it compared to asphalt/concrete? If you slam the breaks and nothing happens, it is pretty much useless. Other thing is, can it clean itself? If it is all muddy or you have tire marks all around it, it is probably not gonna produce much energy, other thing is the cost, or how fast can it pay for itself? If it is more than 30 years nobody is gonna build it. And last of all,even though, not the least importan is that with today's efficiency of solar panels capturing sun's energy which is about 15-20 percent, it wouldn't produce much, but if we got it to 50 percent at least, it would be totally worth it and we would be good to install it everywhere and save the planet.

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
I think in 20-30 years time this may become feasible with improved solar technology harnessing more of the sun's energy, and reduced manufacturing costs of the panels themselves, but at the moment there are too many question marks surrounding it.

I do very much like it as an idea though, a nation with even 50% of the roads covered by solar panels would be enough to power pretty much everything you need, from cars to houses, it 'could' be revolutionary, it just needs to become affordable and effective.

·
Caribe
3,871 Posts
it could also be teamed up with this for maximum energy production

Innowattech of Israel generates electricity from road traffic

Innowattech's first-of-its-kind project demonstrates how Israeli technology can generate electricity from generators installed beneath a road's asphalt layer.

The innovative green energy technology developed by Haifa-based Innowattech in association with Technion I.I.T (Israel Institute of Technology) was recently tested in a complete-system pilot project in cooperation with the Israel National Roads Company along a 30-foot stretch of highway in northern Israel.

The technology is based on piezoelectric materials that enable the conversion of mechanical energy exerted by the weight of passing vehicles into electrical energy, without stealing any energy whatsoever from the vehicles. The technology does not increase the vehicles' fuel intake or affect the road infrastructure.

The technology enables the supply of electricity to various road-side applications, such as traffic lights, billboards, police speed cameras, communication systems, road signs, etc., as well as transfer of the harvested electricity into the electric grid, to supply electricity to households.

Innowattech has also developed its "electric avenue" technology for harvesting energy from movement of trains, airplanes and pedestrians.

http://www.innowattech.co.il/index.aspx

·
Certified Gamer
44 Posts
I think in 20-30 years time this may become feasible with improved solar technology harnessing more of the sun's energy, and reduced manufacturing costs of the panels themselves, but at the moment there are too many question marks surrounding it.

I do very much like it as an idea though, a nation with even 50% of the roads covered by solar panels would be enough to power pretty much everything you need, from cars to houses, it 'could' be revolutionary, it just needs to become affordable and effective.
I would agree with this response. The idea may be brilliant but can this be implemented tp other countries, not just on one country? I would like to see it becoming feasible in the long run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts