Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

I'll change the height of the thread once we know actuals etc. At first glance however thesis rather stunning. Echoes of Express and the apartment block further up. Deffo getting that streamline moderne vibe too. Great confidence from the developer too building and pushing offices further out.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From the website. Earlier version?
Soller completed the complex assembly of this prime development site in 2020 following a 6-month acquisition period. The site is located between Lever street and Great Ancoats street in Manchester’s rapidly rising Northern Quarter. Soller has had a successful pre-app meeting with the council and is aiming to achieve planning consent for a mixed-use development of c.130,000 ft2 in 2022. The scheme will be developed according to strict ESG guidelines and will target a BREEAM Excellent rating, EPC A rating, WELL ‘Gold’ accreditation and have a Wiredscore ‘Platinum’ rating for its connectivity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like to see more images of the proposals but going off just that one image looks like a cool modern tribute to the art deco express building across the road while retaining and incorporating the heritage that's already on site. Glenn Howells might be my favourite architect working in Manchester today.

·
Registered
417 Posts
From what I can make out of this image, this is absolutely gorgeous!! Real great Streamline Art Deco style to that office block, which complements the area and the Express, as somebody has said.

I just really hope they retain the building fronting GAS, or more specifically, the one on the left of the picture ToastRack has posted.

I walk past the worn down warehouse most days (the one pictured on the right of the render) and I always wondered if somebody would save it, as it's quite a beautiful but dilapidated building.

Hope to see some more images but for now - very supportive!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not sure why the new building would retain a few random facades for the sake of it. Think it would look a bit incoherent.

The Lever Street side has repurposed the existing buildings so that's not an indication that they will retain the existing facades on the other sides. From the CGI it looks like the building extends to where the existing buildings are on Houldsworth Street and GAS so I'd assume they'd all be demolished.

With each new development we've had more paving on GAS, hopefully it'll be the same here not a fan of the flexipave!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm not sure why the new building would retain a few random facades for the sake of it. Think it would look a bit incoherent.

The Lever Street side has repurposed the existing buildings so that's not an indication that they will retain the existing facades on the other sides. From the CGI it looks like the building extends to where the existing buildings are on Houldsworth Street and GAS so I'd assume they'd all be demolished.

With each new development we've had more paving on GAS, hopefully it'll be the same here not a fan of the flexipave!
But retaining one side is more coherent? Okay then.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts