SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr Ahmed Ali

Researchers at Cardiff University's Biosciences dept. working with Frankincense. Pictured is Dr. Ahmed Ali (research director for the Compton Group) using a purification column to purify the Frankincense. He is pictured with Prof. Vic Duance (centre director of Arthritis Research UK Biomechanics and Bioengineering Centre.) and Dr. Emma Blain (research fellow).

An age old cure

The answer to treating painful arthritis could lie in an age old herbal remedy - frankincense, according to University research.

Scientists from the School of Biosciences have been examining the potential benefits of frankincense to help relieve and alleviate the symptoms of the condition.

"The search for new ways of relieving the symptoms of inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis is a long and difficult one," according to Dr Emma Blain, who leads the research with her co-investigators Professor Vic Duance from the School of Biosciences and Dr Ahmed Ali of the Compton Group.

"The South West of England and Wales has a long standing connection with the Somali community who have used extracts of frankincense as a traditional herbal remedy for arthritic conditions. What our research has focused on is whether and how these extracts can help relieve the inflammation that causes the pain," she added.

The Cardiff scientists believe they have been able to demonstrate that treatment with an extract of Boswellia frereana – a rare frankincense species – inhibits the production of key inflammatory molecules which helps prevent the breakdown of the cartilage tissue which causes the condition.

Dr Ali adds: "The search for new drugs to alleviate the symptoms of conditions like inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis is a priority area for scientists. What our research has managed to achieve is to use innovative chemical extraction techniques to determine the active ingredient in frankincense.

"Having done this we are now able to further characterise the chemical entity and compare its success against other anti-inflammatory drugs used for treating the condition."

The research comes as a result of a seedcorn project, funded by the Severnside Alliance for Translational Research (SARTRE), through the MRC Developmental Pathway Funding Scheme devolved portfolio.

SARTRE is a joint project between Cardiff University and the University of Bristol to combine and accelerate translational research.
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/articles/an-age-old-cure-6841.html

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Dr Warsame Ali

Dr Warsame Ali is a Somali scientist specialized in Aerospace Technology and has worked for well known Space technology centers such as NASA. Some of his groundbreaking research papers and projects are: Aircraft Ice Detection; Testing and evaluation of various sensors for detection of ice on aircraft wings (1997) - Using the DSP chip for voice recognition. Use of the computer with DSP interface circuitry to recognize voice commands and issue appropriate control signals funded by NASA (1997) - Development and Demonstration of a highly efficient hybrid vehicle with better than zero emission (2000) -- Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Alim Ahmed Fatah

Alim Ahmed Fatah is an inventor from Somalia. He studied overseas and received his High School Diploma and General Certificate of Education (GCE), with honors from the University of London. Alim then returned to Somalia and enrolled in the then new National College of Education “Lafoole” at Afgoye but left after 8 months when he secured a scholarship in Kuwait with five other Somali students and joined Kuwait University.

Inventions and Innovations

* The popular Self-adhesive stamp - An environmentally friendly, and recyclable postage stamp with non-toxic security inks.
* Modern Postage stamp cancelletion ink - currently used in all US postal service facilities.
* At BASF Corporation, as a Research Staff Scientist Alim developed new ester demulsifiers for breaking water-in-oil emulsions and synthesized a new line of reactive Uvinul compounds to protect polymer films, coatings and structural materials from harmful UV radiation and degradation. He also co-invented with another chemist a proprietary process for removing N-nitrosoamines impurities, synthesized new types of nonionic surfactants for applications such as dishwasher detergents, fiber lubricants, hydraulic fluids, agricultural chemicals, and cosmetics.
* At Artech Corporation in 1986 as a Senior Materials Scientist Alim developed a new luminescent (both fluorescent and phosphorescent) taggants, based on terbium and europium metals, for use with environmentally engineered water-based ink jet printer inks used in U.S. Mail bar coding for optical character recognition (OCR) of automated mail processing equipment and other applications
* At the Bureau of Engraving and Printing Alim jointly developed a process for treatment of the waste from the printing inks at the BEP’s new Waste Water Treatment Plant

Awards

* Best Graduate Student Award” -Binghamton University
* Zappert Award - American Chemical Society and the Research Foundation of the State University of New York (SUNY).
* The US Postal Service Merit Award
* The Team Leadership Award for Environmental Achievement - U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
* The Gold Medal for Distinguished Service, Leadership and Accomplishments - the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce. -- Link

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Asli Kulane

Role: Scientist

Profile: MD, PhD, is the coordinator for Swedish Research School for Global Health and has been KI’s coordinator for European Masters in International Health Programme. Her research experience includes malaria, HIV/AIDS and TB in low income countries (focussing on social dimensions). She is also the TropED coordinator of KI. -- Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Dr Ali Said Faqi

Leading scientist on Toxicology studies.
Dr. Faqi Leads IITRI in Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology

As Study Director for teratology and reproductive toxicology studies at IITRI, Dr. Ali S. Faqi evaluates the potential effects of drugs, food additives and environmental chemicals on reproduction and development. Working with a specially trained team, he leads staff from IITRI's Life Sciences Group in performing bioassays for sponsors in the chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, and for the National Cancer Institute and other government agencies.

One area of Dr. Faqi's research is in the study of endocrine disrupters and their effects on reproduction. "In recent years, there has been increasing public concern that chemicals in the environment are affecting human health by disrupting normal hormone function," he says. These chemicals interfere with normal functions by mimicking the sex steroid hormone estrogens and androgens by binding to hormone receptors or cell signaling pathways. Disturbances in hormonal regulation during prenatal or early postnatal development may adversely affect male and female fertility, he explains.

"Low-level exposure to hormone modulating chemicals occurs throughout our lives from food, air, water, soil and household products, and probably during gestation and lactation," Dr. Faqi says. "The risks associated with these low-level and constant exposures are still largely unknown and highly controversial."

The primary goal is to determine the lowest level of exposure that elicits an adverse effect (LOAEL). Animal studies on lindane and TCDD, for example, show that the lowest dose tested produces a significant effect on sperm number, daily sperm production and sperm morphology.

The major challenge then remains "to determine whether exposure to low levels of these chemicals during gestation and lactation induces subtle changes in humans, as determined in experimental animals."

Dr. Faqi received a Ph.D. in Developmental/ Reproductive Toxicology from the University of Leipzig, Germany, a Diploma of Specialization in Experimental Pharmacology from the University of Milan, Italy, and a D.V.M. from Somali National University, Mogadishu.

Before joining IITRI, he worked at Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA, at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA, and at the Institute for Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Free University of Berlin (Germany).

Dr. Faqi has published in peerreviewed scientific journals approximately 25 articles and 50abstracts on developmental and reproductive toxicity and teratogenicity studies. -Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Hussein Jama

Tubular steel study a winner for engineering student

20 November 2007

Postgraduate student Hussein Jama is one of only six people to win a prestigious 2007 Victoria Fellowship Blast-resistant tall buildings, sports stadiums, oil platforms and train stations are closer to reality thanks to the work of engineer Hussein Jama.

The 35-year-old postgraduate student is one of six people to win a prestigious 2007 Victoria Fellowship. He received the Fellowship on Wednesday 15 August at a gala function at Government House from the Governor of Victoria, Professor David de Kretser, AC.

Mr Jama is investigating how to build more resilient structures made from tubular steel with the capacity to withstand accidental explosions. Current building structures can be damaged by gas leaks, dust explosions or terrorist attacks.

His work will also assist in damage-prevention to large oil rigs that are vulnerable to accidental explosions, which can result in loss of life, reduced oil supplies and massive pollution.

Mr Jama will travel to South Africa to carry out blast experiments at the Blast Impact and Survivability Research Unit at the University of Cape Town, the only facility in the world where explosives can be used in a university setting. -- Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Abdi Osman Jama

Jama is the CEO of ISI (Institute for Strategic Initiatives). His areas of interest are in strategic management and technological capabilities for growth and renewal. He has broad experience as an entrepreneur and senior management consultant. He is former CEO of Eactels Ltd. Abdi has managed many global projects that was spread into Europe, Middle East, Africa and USA. He has been lecturer at EVTEK University of Applied Sciences. He has also taught Business & Technology Alignment in the Haaga-Helia Executive MBA program. He has Masters in Industrial Engineering and Management from Helsinki Metropolia University of Applied Sciences. -- Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Dr Sada Mire - Archaeologist

Sada Mire‘s interests lie in archaeological and anthropological theory and practice, and cultural heritage policy and management, working in the Horn of Africa. - Read more

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ken Farah, president of Farah & sons

Ken Farah has a BS in Civil Engineering from Northeastern University in Boston, MA. Ken has been an engineer for over 14 years and has seen many facets of engineering. He has worked for contractors, design firms as well as city and state agencies. Ken has aided in design work, conducted studies for CSO overflow technology, and has experience in estimating, scheduling, and surveying.

Although Ken has participated in various areas of engineering work, his expertise lies in field engineering. As the Resident Project Representative for numerous projects, Ken has demonstrated great knowledge and skill regarding the application of an engineer’s design. Ken has had great success as a liaison between design engineers and contractors. He is attentive to neighborhood and citizen concerns which make him an excellent representative for City of Indianapolis projects. As President of Farah and sons, Inc., Ken is dedicated to providing quality inspection services.
http://farahandsons.com/staff.html

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abdusalam Abubakar

He is a young scientist who won the BT Young Scientist of the year 2007 award. He invented a new method of attacking secure electronic communications systems developed by scientists in the 80s and currently used worldwide by banks, the military and e-commerce websites. His security code breaker earned him the European scientist of the year award 2007.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Designer and builder of the Macalin Nur Mohamed Siyad Mosque is his own son.

Graduation stories: Osman Nur designs unique mosque to honor his father

LAWRENCE — To get to know the Somali father he left when he was just a child, Osman Nur needed the ‘excuse’ of his University of Kansas McNair Scholars Program research project.

Nur, his mother Madina Sheikh, three older brothers and an older sister fled their native Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1991 at the start of the Somali Civil War. His father Aabow Mo’alin Nur, a teacher, religious leader, community organizer and self-taught architect, stayed.

Osman Nur (Photo by David McKinney/University Relations)

“He’s the reason I’m in school,” Nur said. “I really didn’t like school that much. Growing up, I didn’t go to school. Everything I’ve accomplished in school is because of him. We’d talk on the phone only about once a month because it was so expensive. Before he even asked how I was, he’d ask about my education and how I was doing, which kept pushing me to do better, demanding I take school seriously. He didn’t allow me to ask questions about him. He never liked people writing about him.”

Of leaving Somalia, Nur said, “Survival was the main thing, living from hour to hour, just getting away from the war. We were just happy to be alive.” Family members migrated to Kenya, where they stayed until 1998. They received political asylum and were able to come to the United States in 1999 through the sponsorship of an older sister, Hamsa Mohamed, a primary care physician in Saginaw, Mich.

“The only thing we knew about America was from Hollywood movies,” Nur said. No one in the family spoke English. They first went to a large Somali community in Rochester, Minn., then moved to Overland Park in summer 2002. Nur graduated from Shawnee Mission North High School in spring 2003, then began attending KU in fall 2003. His mother has since moved back to Rochester.

The mosque under construction in Somalia (Photo courtesy of Osman Nur)

Then came the project award. KU’s McNair Scholars Program is federally funded and helps prepare first-generation, low-income students from underrepresented ethnic groups for future careers as faculty members and researchers.

Nur’s father designed more than two dozen of the 37 mosques he managed in Somalia. Nur went to Somalia to do research, mentored by Marie-Alice L’Heureux, associate professor of architecture. His main goal, though, was to interview his father for what became his McNair project essay, “The Transformation of Islamic Architecture: The Work of the Somali Sufi Mosque Designer, Mo’alin Nur, ‘Aabow’ ”

Describing his father’s initial reaction, Nur said, “When I told him, he said, ‘You’re telling me you’ve gone to America to learn about Nur, that your school in America is going to teach you about me?’ He always referred to himself as ‘Nur’ with any of the titles he was given. He only answered the questions because I told him it was required for my assignment, for my education.”

In his essay, Nur wrote, “The gentleman I call father kept his past a secret although he always tried to give me a better life than the one he had.”

Nur saw his father twice in the past 11 years before the elder Nur’s death in October 2009. Traveling to Somalia for his father’s funeral, Nur took a sketchbook and began to think of ways to honor his father by drawing designs for a mosque, the principal religious and communal building associated with Islam.

“He’s how I got into architecture, to study something he knows. I knew I had to do something for him,” Nur said, thinking that every time people came to the mosque they would pay respect to his father. Nur said his family in both the United States and Somalia, told him, “Only you can design it.”

The design and building of the mosque became an additional part of Nur’s architectural academic program. He was guided by L’Heureux and Steve Padgett, associate professor of architecture.

In the design, Nur introduced some design details not seen before in mosques built there. Instead of semicircular doorway arches, Nur’s are stepped arches based on golden ratio proportions used in the five domes of the mosque. The mosque’s minaret, Nur said, is the tallest around at more than 100 feet. Roofs had always been flat concrete slabs. His design uses waffle-slab construction.

“It was scary, something they’d never seen. People in the community had lots of experience building things and probably thought, ‘Why should we listen to this kid who’s never built anything.’ The reason they did was because I was the son of their respected religious leader. I know about the culture, that you don’t argue with the elders or even tell them what to do or how to do it.

“How many KU students could dream of building something like this when they’re in school? What’s the point of an education if you can’t share it?”

“Osman has applied the skills he learned to real life,” said Allyson Flaster, academic services coordinator of the McNair Scholars Program. “He created a mosque and mausoleum to honor his father. His father’s community embraced the design that’s currently being built. He is also creating a design and master plan for a high school in Abudwaq in central Somalia that has been without a formal high school for a decade as a result of the civil war.”

Nur said he credits KU with helping him learn critical thinking skills, encouraging him to question rather than following only rigid or traditional rules. In 2008, he earned an Undergraduate Research Award from the University Honors Program to study the aboriginal and modern architecture of Australia and a prestigious Gilman International Scholarship to study at the University of New South Wales with Pritzker Prize-winning architect Glenn Mercutt.

“In Australia and Asia, I was able to see how different other people live, that there are different ways to do things, that my way is not the only way.”

Chosen for the Multicultural Architectural Scholars Program, Nur said he values tutelage from its co-directors Bill Carswell and Hobart Jackson, associate professors of architecture, plus support from Patti Baker, assistant to John Gaunt, dean of the School of Architecture, Design and Planning. Carswell also was a mentor for Nur’s undergraduate research in University Honors Program.

Nur said he plans to eventually do graduate work in vernacular or indigenous architecture. His family wants him to pursue a doctorate. He’d also like to work with a cultural or tourist architectural firm, involving community buildings that are regional and unique to each “so they feel it is theirs.”

“Osman is a remarkable man with a truly compelling life story,” said Keith Diaz-Moore, associate professor and chair of architecture. “He is an insightful student who engages in architecture with pure enthusiasm and delight. The fact that he’s already engaging in such meaningful work reflects the great promise he holds as a future professional.

For his superior achievements — and his father’s legacy — Nur will carry the banner for the School of Architecture, Design and Planning, leading his fellow graduates at Commencement. He is a candidate for the professional master’s of architecture degree.

http://www.news.ku.edu/2010/may/7/nur.shtml

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts

Abdusalam Abubakar is a Somali-born Irish scientist from County Dublin. He was the winner of the 43rd Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition in 2007 at the age of seventeen. He went on to be named EU Young Scientist of the Year in September 2007.

Abubakar was born in Somalia to an Irish father of Somali descent. He is an only child. He moved to Ireland in May 2005, joining Synge Street CBS in central Dublin. - Source
Maths student figures out way to crack codes

The encryption system used by banks, the military and others to keep information secure is again under attack, this time by a Young Scientist contestant. The student has developed a new way to crack the codes and now needs a more powerful computer to see how good his new system is.

There are always a number of startlingly difficult maths projects on show at the exhibition and two individual efforts by Abdusalam Abubakar and Ardit Kroni, both 16 and third-year classmates at Synge Street CBS, are prime examples.

Abdusalam, originally from Somalia, is leading a fresh attack on RSA - the world's most popular and widely used data encryption system. Ardit, who came to Ireland from Kosovo, is working in pure theoretical mathematics, studying a concept known as infinite product expansion.

RSA was developed in the 1970s and is the most secure method of its kind, explained Abdusalam. Yet it also represents a challenge that mathematicians find difficult to ignore. The student began studying partially successful mathematical attacks on RSA by Wiener, Hinek and Dujella and attempted to find similarities within them. "I decided to generalise the work to understand why it is done in this way. - Read more

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nasira Aqil

Beauty and brains, Mashallah.

Breaking into civil engineering, a profession considered the exclusive preserve of men, maybe a tall order for many women including those in western nations.
But Nasra Agil, a young Somali-Canadian civil engineer of the highest calibre, is one accomplished professional who has shattered this long-held myth
The highly determined and supremely confident young lady has not only conquered the realm of civil engineering but has taken her pursuits in this field to a new level.
Having arrived in Canada at a young age alongside her family from war-torn Somalia, Nasra decided from early on that civil engineering would be her chosen career path in future. And all this despite prevailing perceptions in her community and within Canadian society in general that this highly coveted field is a turf only befitting the ingenuity of technically-oriented men.

In 2005, Nasra attained the unimaginable as she graduated at the top of her civil engineering class at Ryerson University posting a 4.22 Grade Point Average (GPA) from a possible maximum of 4.33 to earn a Honours Bachelor of Engineering (B Eng ) degree and become the first ever female of Somali descent to achieve this important feat in the western world. Her shinning accolades in academic circles also include numerous awards such as the prestigious Golden Key International Honour Society Award, in recognition of her outstanding academic excellence.

Since age 15, Nasra had demonstrated exceptional leadership skills being a young activist in community organizing in her Jamestown Crescent neighbourhood, a housing project inhabited by a significant number of Somali-Canadian newcomers in what used to be a crime infested area mired in gang activity.
For seven years, Nasra was at the forefront of community-based crime prevention strategies and was recognized for her contribution to community service with the Duke of Edinborough Award. Receiving this honour from Canada’s Governor-General only served to inspire her some more as she embarked on other important initiatives that helped transform her community’s fortunes for the better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Khadar M. Abdi -- Bio chemist at the Cell Biology laboratory of Vann Bennett. His research looks into the c-terminal regulatory domain of ankyrins as a possible location for its regulation.

Dr. Khadra Kahin is a board certified chiropractor and the founder and president of MYH Inc. She currently practices in Flint, Michigan. Dr. Kahin is a strong advocate of health and wellness and feels that it is essential to have a wellness organization committed to helping children successfully battle obesity and achieve optimal health

Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim is a General Surgeon practicing in Minneapolis at the hospitals Abbott North Western and Mercy Hospital. His surgical interests include Laparoscopic surgery, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, and colon cancer surgery. He graduated from the University of Minnesota Medical School.

Dr. Fahima Osman -First Somali Doctor trained in Canada

Abdullahi Elmi - Electrical Engineer - Winner of the 2008 Mesa Robotics competition

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow what a beard :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.