Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today's Age...Melbourne Magazine had an article about big ideas for Melbourne.. if they are feasible..or pie in the sky????

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
1. Stupid
2. Stupid and ugly
3. Better
4. Good - but at The Rip?
6. Incredibly stupid

Where's number five?

·
Glitter & Grease
2,052 Posts
Ah yes. I read the article myslef and logged straight on to skyscraper city!
Number 5 was jamies school dinners.

·
Registered
984 Posts
(melbourne)magazine has to be the most pretentious piece of fluff from the Australian media ever.
Written by a bunch of European wannabes, it's a must read for people who like to think they're in on the latest tends.

·
Registered
541 Posts
(melbourne)magazine has to be the most pretentious piece of fluff from the Australian media ever.
Written by a bunch of European wannabes, it's a must read for people who like to think they're in on the latest tends.
i tend to agree and disagree.

It does contain some pretty interesting articles and it presents itself well.

Sadly some of it is very out of touch and repetitive. If I have to read about one more fucking 'cutting edge laneway boutique', i'll rip my hair out.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Have to say I find it the most empty, facile, glossy piece of trash around - a pure advertising vehicle for the fashion industry and its ilk.

A total waste of trees. And the article about the mile high building etc was pathetic. Even the people they were interviewing were struggling to take the questions seriously and give some kind of half-adequate reply.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you're not a pretentious, trendy, fashionable European-wannabe, what are you doing in Melbourne? Replace pretentious with "cultured", "European wannabe" with "heritage architecture, parks and gardens and a lack of cut-throat corporate Sydney-esque feel" and you have what Melbourne prides itself on.

(melbourne)magazine is a little trashy, but let's not be ashamed of our strengths!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Huh? I think it's a pretty good magazine really.....
A little bit of out there thinking (in this article), but generally very funky magazine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think a dramatic idea would be to try to extend the CBD east, with high density around Collingwood/Richmond ... I guess it's more like my slightly unrealistic pet opinion :)

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Thanks for the input redbaron_012, but was that written by a 12 year old?

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm...maybe using the word 'Dramatic' was me thinking these ideas are not very realistic.....We could have a supertall..but a mile high building in Melbourne gives no consideration that we went metric years ago !!!!! Tidal power generation seems a good idea....the tide comes in and out every day...The Rip would be super controversial.....if any of you have been to Inverloch, the power of the tide there is amazing through the inlet!!! It has to be better than wind turbines that rely on the wind or existing power sources.It would be close to the existing power grid. The levitation train...great..but not cost effective for such a short trip. After visiting many European cities ..the bike thing is tenuous in an Australian city...they winge about it but have already designed the whole place around the car!!!Except maybe a few inner areas.Last but not least..the island in the bay!!! If the bay channel dredging goes ahead..which it looks like it will why not dump it all at one place making an Island, sheilded from the rest of the bay and channels....If development is way in the future that's fine, could be Hotel, resort, housing, whatever? but it would be there ready! otherwise all the debri and sand will just be scattered in the bay.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Okay.
1. A super-tall would be awesome but is there demand? It'd also have to look amazing because of its height. Need more planning/detail. Won't happen.
2. Bad idea. The fake islands ruin natural oceans and beaches. And i doubt people would buy them. Too cold here.
3. Good idea and I think it will eventualy happen. Would be awesome.
4. Any renewable energy is good. Probably expensive but I thyink it would be smart.
6. Would be very expensive and they could spend the money on suburban rail systems etc however it one like the one in HK would be awesome.

·
Registered
541 Posts
melb needs air/rail link more than anything..........

citylink & yellow falcons will fight forever............
but that would be practical.

Let's just build another freeway.. maybe Altona to Rosanna?

Budget for airport links: maybe one more bus to be implicated between now and 2014, pending on feasability study, which will not be conducted until 2011 at the very earliest. :bash: bracks factor.

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, monorail docklands, southbank, fed square, mcg !

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Lyle Langley: I've built monorails for Ogdenville, Brockway and North Haverbrook - and by gum it sure put them on the map!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts