5,437 Posts
great pics, i like the building in # 4 and 5

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ILOVEMTL said:
great pics, i like the building in # 4 and 5
Thanks, thats a very ancient "skyscraper".

Dating back to 537, it is the pagoda of the the Liu Rong Si (Temple of the Six Banyan Trees). It has a special feature: Seen from the outside it has (apparently) 9 stories, but inside it has 17 floors. Worth a climb, but it is cramped inside...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Guangzhou is much developed and modern than your pics

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, i know...

km-sh said:
Guangzhou is much developed and modern than your pics
Pics 01 to 07 taken in Dec 2003

Pics 08 to 16 taken in Nov 2004

The most modern area is around Tianhe Bei Lu ( 天河北路 ), e.g. pic 02. But when really exploring downtown Guangzhou you will still find many places as in the other pictures.
When leaving the pedestrians zone (located at Beijing Lu, 北京路 ) heading south, you immediately enter the area shown in the pictures 09 to 16. Picture 09 was taken in Nov 2004 at the intersection of 北京路 and 大南路.
BTW: Why does nobody complain when XiaoBai posts pics of old dwellings in Shanghai?

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Nothing wrong with old buildings. The only problem I have with them is that they're unclean. Guangzhou is modern, so I suppose few of us need pictorial evidence of that. If the city council enacted an ordinance to wash the buildings free of decades of soot, I would definitely want to visit one more time a city as charming as Canton.

·
Registered
419 Posts
whats wrong with those narrow alleys

i think they are the better parts of guangzhou ...

A city needs not to be all the same ...

honestly all its need is a clean up ...

·
Lurker
341 Posts
If there werent any narrow alleys then Guangzhou wouldnt be Guangzhou! citys can be both modern and old-style at the same time, just look at Europe! How interesting would the world be if everything looked the same??I love Guangzhou if the air was clean and it wouldnt be so damn HOT in the summer it would be very close to perfect... At least thats what i think :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually i also like Guangzhou the way it is. I second that the old buildings only need cleaning to look as good as new...

Johan: for me Guangzhou was too hot in December and November as well... - because i came from the cold Shanghai (from 4°C in SH to 28°C in GZ)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts