Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent Thursday in downtown San Diego. I went just to see how the Petco Field, right in Downtown SD, fits into such an urban area. I was looking to see what Miami could do if the stadium is located in downtown. I was lucky enough to pick a day that an actual game was being played. Lots of construction going on in the area. Have a look and tell me what you think. Now just envision what it could look like if it were Miamitized!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

A new condo inside Petco Field. I was told that all residents have access to the games as part of their HOA fees.

Street front ticket sales

Yes, this is the park's parking garage with retail on the lower level
IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/900Biscayneguy/IMG_0203-1.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/900Biscayneguy/IMG_0204-1.jpg[/IMG]

low rise housing

More parking.

And finaly, a sky bridge from the Omni Hotel directly into the ball park.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Thanks for the great photos!

I really hope Miami can build a ballpark downtown and that it can fit in with the surrounding urban environment like Petco Park, it would really be awesome to have something like that in Miami.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the great photos!

I really hope Miami can build a ballpark downtown and that it can fit in with the surrounding urban environment like Petco Park, it would really be awesome to have something like that in Miami.
I would like to see it built in the Overtown area east of I-95 and south of I-395 where they razed a lot of old rundown buildings This would complement the city skyline.Then they should put restaurants in that area ,so you don't have to pay ridiculous food prices at the ballparks.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I would like to see it built in the Overtown area east of I-95 and south of I-395 where they razed a lot of old rundown buildings This would complement the city skyline.Then they should put restaurants in that area ,so you don't have to pay ridiculous food prices at the ballparks.
I'd definitely prefer the same location that most civic leaders are working on. Right next to the Metrorail Government Center station allows for alternative transportation to cars. Most places in the CBD are with other large scale facilities and dense office towers. Traffic instructure cannot handle the burden of an additional large scale venue on the Bicentenial Park (thank God that idea died) and there are plenty of streets out of the area to the West, to the East, and again the rail options.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
great pix...great post !
however, i must make something clear...and this is in no way menat to sound critical of the original poster.

your idea and impressions are spot on !!! the only thing you may not know is that PETCO park in SD is sort of a "johnny come lately" as far as inner city baseball parks go. the trend started in baltimore in the late 1980s when the orioles went with HOK and decided to build a new/modern stadium that LOOKED old...and fit in with the surrounding neighborhood, B&O warehouse, etc.

it was a smashing success....and every new stadium has followed the same blueprint......denver, cleveland, seattle, san francisco, milwaukee, detroit, pittsburgh, cincinnati...etc.

san diego was one of the last to go "downtown retro".

as i have said in other threads....i do not feel that miami needs to build a retro park that mimmicks these other parks...miami is different...miami is not red brick warehouses and brownstones...miami is neon, art deco, bright, colorful....

but the other half of the equation is NOT negotiable !!! it must be downtown.
i love hialeah...i love the orange bowl.....but a city's baseball stadium is MORE than the field that the games are played on...more than the home park of your team ( IF U ARE A FAN, AT ALL).

a truly great baseball park is a landmark.....a signature icon to a city...if it is the right park.

my guess is that there are new yorkers, bostonians, and chicagoans who have never set foot in yankee stadium, fenway park, or wrigley field respectively---but are proud of those city landmarks.

the marlins new park...especially after a process that will have take a couple of decades to come to fruition --by the time it opens...NEEDS TO BE PERFECT!!!! in every area. no repeat of the pac....

I HAVE NO WORRIES ABOUT THE DESIGN...BUT THIS NEW STADIUM WILL BE THE CROWN JEWEL FOR MIAMI'S downtown for the next 50 years.....just as important as our first 1000 footer....

comments welcome...

the embarcadero

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Embarcadero,

I could not agree with you more. I can't wait to see some of the proposed designs. I am sure they will be amazing and make Miami proud. I just wish we could get this project moving.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have to say that I think that Miami's new stadium should be MODERN not retro. There are only two major cities in America that are truly modern, because they are young cities, LA and Miami and that fact should be, exploited, heralded, celebrated and investigated.

Shot with unknown at 1969-12-31

Soldiers Field in Chicago seems to me like the best model in America for a new stadium in Miami. It was designed by Carlos Zapata, who did the Publix by the Bay on 20th street in south beach. It is a stunning example of what a modern stadium should be. Miami is catapulting into a bright future with cutting edge design and it will stand alone in America, as other great cities around the world like Shanghai and Dubai. Why wouldn't we want to stand out and be seen for what Miami is, a young, exciting city, blazing the way into the 21st century, while still honoring and treasuring the architectural heritage of Florida that already exists.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Thanks for those pics. Petco seems to be one of the more unknown newer parks but I really like how it's integrated into so many facets of downtown San Diego.

With the Marlins, has there been ANY recent news on a ballpark? I read the Herald and Sun-Sentinel online daily and haven't seen anything. There was a rumor that something might happen during the special legislative session this month but that no longer appears to be the case. Any news at all??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
great pix...great post !
however, i must make something clear...and this is in no way menat to sound critical of the original poster.

your idea and impressions are spot on !!! the only thing you may not know is that PETCO park in SD is sort of a "johnny come lately" as far as inner city baseball parks go. the trend started in baltimore in the late 19802 when the orioles went with HOK and decided to build a new/modern stadium that LOOKED old...and fit in with the surrounding neighborhood, B&O warehouse, etc.

it was a smashing success....and every new stadium has followed the same blueprint......denver, cleveland, seattle, san francisco, milwaukee, detroit, pittsburgh, cincinnati...etc.

san diego was one of the last to go "downtown retro".

as i have said in other threads....i do not feel that miami needs to build a retro park that mimmicks these other parks...miami is different...miami is not brick warehouses and brownstones...miami is neon, art deco, bright, colorful....

but the other half of the equation is NOT negotiable !!! it must be downtown.
i love hialeah...i love the orange bowl.....but a city's baseball stadium is MORE then the field that the games are played on...more than the home park of your team ( IF U ARE A FAN, AT ALL).

a truly great baseball park is a landmark.....a signature icon to a city...if it is the right park.

my guess is that there are new yorkers, bostonians, and chicagoans who have never set foot in yankee stadium, fenway park, or wrigley field respectively---but are proud of those city landmarks.

the marlins new park...especially after a process that will have take a couple of decades to come to fruition by the time it opens...NEEDS TO BE PERFECT!!!! in every area. no repeats of the pac....

I HAVE NO WORRIES ABOUT THE DESIGN...BUT THIS NEW STADIUM WILL BE THE CROWN JEWEL FOR MIAMI'S downtown for the next 50 years.....just as important as our first 1000 footer....

comments welcome...

the embarcadero
one of the best posts i've ever read

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
With the Marlins, has there been ANY recent news on a ballpark? I read the Herald and Sun-Sentinel online daily and haven't seen anything. There was a rumor that something might happen during the special legislative session this month but that no longer appears to be the case. Any news at all??

Hank Goldberg, local sports radio personality and one I put a lot of stock in, said last week that the deal to move the Hurricanes to Dolphin stadium is almost done. That the money that was earmarked for the Orange Bowl and meant to go towards the new Marlins stadium could be canceled out by the state imposed budget cuts and that the county might have to rework the whole deal because of that. Due to the lack of any progress he feels the prospects of getting a new stadium are greatly diminished.

Did anyone else see that FIU is moving to the Orange Bowl until they get their on-campus stadium rebuilt?

To get back on topic, I'll be at Petco and Dodger Stadium next week. This is the first I've seen of street side shots of the place and this is exactly what Miami needs. I just hope Loria and Sampson don't let this opportunity slip through their greedy little fingers.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Hank Goldberg, local sports radio personality and one I put a lot of stock in, said last week that the deal to move the Hurricanes to Dolphin stadium is almost done. That the money that was earmarked for the Orange Bowl and meant to go towards the new Marlins stadium could be canceled out by the state imposed budget cuts and that the county might have to rework the whole deal because of that. Due to the lack of any progress he feels the prospects of getting a new stadium are greatly diminished.

Did anyone else see that FIU is moving to the Orange Bowl until they get their on-campus stadium rebuilt?

To get back on topic, I'll be at Petco and Dodger Stadium next week. This is the first I've seen of street side shots of the place and this is exactly what Miami needs. I just hope Loria and Sampson don't let this opportunity slip through their greedy little fingers.
I'm very saddened by the prospect of the Hurricanes leaving the Orange Bowl. Sure, I understand it from an economics standpoint and certainly there's no comparison of the two facilities since one is basically decrepit and the other has all the bells and whistles...but still. The Orange Bowl is full of so many wonderful memories for anybody that cares about Miami.

Without a major tenant or any truly big events, the city obviously can't justify spending umpteen millions just for the sake of nostalgia...but it'll be pretty sad if the OB meets the wrecking ball even if there's really no other logical way out if the Hurricanes bolt.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Dolphins could play one final game there? I don't mean one that counts...obviously that couldn't happen...but simply a pre-season game (maybe with the proceeds going to charity) that few, if any, season-ticket holders would bitch about. I think that would be a pretty special way to send the old girl out in style.

The Marlins news you posted is pretty sobering. I keep hoping for some tangible momentum on this deal but it just never seems to be there. This stuff has been delayed so long that it's hard not to wonder if MLB won't at some point say "enough is enough" and allow the franchise to explore leaving South Florida entirely. They already did it once and this ain't exactly the Red Sox, Cubs, or Yankees as far as using the word "impossible" in regards to moving, y'know?

I think it's pretty urgent that something happens VERY soon. Losing baseball would be a tragedy...especially because of what a great asset a new ballpark could be for downtown.

In any regard, thanks for the update brickell. Let's keep our fingers crossed.:cheers:

·
Registered
809 Posts
That is such a horrible idea to move the hurricanes. That is a b.s. decision. as you can tell I'm quite upset about this. The Orange Bowl is a classic stadium and a symbol of our city. If they tare it down there will be hell to pay. And another thing about dolphin stadium or as I call it JOE ROBBY stadium. If they cram another team to play there; it will be ridiculous and the Marlins will definitely leave.This city needs to start thinking! How about fixing up the Orange Bowl damnit. Lazy bastards.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There leas is up in 2010 I believe, yes at Dolphin Stadium. Huizenga has even said they can stay another year if they need to, but the Marlins will be either playing in their own stadium or in another city after that. They'd be crazy to move. . . I don't rule it out.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
That is such a horrible idea to move the hurricanes. That is a b.s. decision. as you can tell I'm quite upset about this. The Orange Bowl is a classic stadium and a symbol of our city. If they tare it down there will be hell to pay. And another thing about dolphin stadium or as I call it JOE ROBBY stadium. If they cram another team to play there; it will be ridiculous and the Marlins will definitely leave.This city needs to start thinking! How about fixing up the Orange Bowl damnit. Lazy bastards.
Not to mention it will basically assure that UM students will no longer attend games. It will also cement UM as being the school that plays its games the farthest away from its campus (its about a 21 mile drive from UM to Dolphins stadium).

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
It still isn't a certainty that the Hurricanes will make the move, but it appears likely from all that has been reported so far. I suppose UM would argue that a move to Dolphin Stadium potentially opens up a new fan base further north but I agree it's VERY odd for a college team to have its "home" games played so far from campus.

Personally, I'm a lot bigger fan of the Dolphins and the pro game...so from a selfish perspective I'm also not thrilled with the prospect of the playing field getting further chewed up by college football...not to mention the continuing presence of the Marlins. That field could be a real mess (even if the stadium itself is great) for a good part of the season and a hazard to players health.

Boy, you just wish there was some magical formula to make the Canes happy in the Orange Bowl...get the Marlins stadium rolling...and let Dolphin Stadium just be a top-notch NFL venue. That would leave everybody satisfied, but the dynamics just aren't playing out that way so far.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
its time to let go

yes my friends of course I speak of an affliction that strikes many of your fellow forumers and perhaps even you! Orangebolian Melancolic Disorder is reaching epidemic proportions. If irrational fondness for rusty metal and dry rot wood puts a tear in your eye

Call 1.800.get.over (it)

I know Records were broken there but it's a rustly pile of junk today there are no plans for the Dolphins to ever return ever so keeping it for nostalgic reasons is pointless.

things must change, everything is either in a state of growth or decay change is inevitable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts