Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I just did a Lawrence thread I think it's only fair to post some Lowell Pics also. :)

I thought Lowell was in a lot better shape than I expected. I remember hearing about the dead old mill town, but it wasn't that bad at all. I found some of the mills have been converted to condos/apartments, and the city looked to be in pretty good condition to me. Granted, I didn't explore much outside of the core, but I like what I saw. The population is a bit over 100,000.

Hope you enjoyed :)

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
rotten777 said:
I've been to Lowell a few times, because my uncle lived there, but not since like 1999.

From what I hear, Lowell used to be a real hole. But it seems to be revitalizing like other cities in that region. Great Pictures.

Is it me, or do Mass cities take care of their historic buildings better than cities in CT?
Well Lowell is particularly special case. Lowell & Lawrence were the epicenters of the 19th century Industrial Revolution with water from the Merrimack River driving the textile mills. Since the 1980s, Lowell's revival has established a model for other New England millitowns, including Lawrence.

CT has lots of historical cities & Hartford is one of the very oldest cities in the US. For a city of its size, Hartford had lots of solidly-built neighborhoods with large brick apartment buildings. Too many seem to have been neglected or torn down. Plus Hartford suffered from a misguided 1960s urban renewal project, Constitution Plaza.

While its lost some of its best buildings, Hartford seems to be doing better than it was in the early 1990s. And the Adrian Landing & the Science & technology center, that should help connect it with the river front.

Seems like Hartford is maybe a decade behind Providence when it comes to urban revival.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i always enjoy ex-ithacan's photo posts. the series on massachusetts and connecticut have been wonderful. does anyone have any interesting photos of auburn, jamestown and batavia, ny?

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ hey, thanks buck. I've got some pics of Jamestown and Auburn. I'll try to upload them and do a thread some time next week (Im going on vacation for a while). I had them hosted on picpile, but apparently that site died. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
something-or-other
1,115 Posts

Old but great thread...and great sign! Had to search for that. Newspaper building -- The Lowell Sun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts